Forum Maintenance Sunday (5/28) AM

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
We'll be doing some maintenance on the forum Sunday morning early, probably well before 7am Central time. Sleep in, and you might well not even notice it -- except it should be faster.

This will change the "IP" address for the forum, and while everything SHOULD go smoothly, if your PC was on continuously from the last time you look at the forum before the change, your PC might require a reboot to flush out any cached results from your PC.

Ha! No, I'm built the other way. I'm much more likely to see 5am than I am to see 11pm.

I think I was the only one in my army basic training class that thought their wake-up times were perfectly reasonable!

Did you finish, or not start yet?

kate, at 4:47 am EST, who's also built that way. ;)

It was a false start.

No changes made, and we're still on the server we were on.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Hmm, and it felt a little faster.

Did you wash it?
A fresh coat of wax.

dory36 said:
It was a false start.

No changes made, and we're still on the server we were on.
I lost access for a while I assumed it was releated to the DNS change. Did you do nothing, or just nothing successful?

I put the forum in maint mode so no more posts could be made, then backed up the entire shebang. Then I restored the backup on a different server (with the same basic configuration), and switched the IP address for the forum to the new server.

That should have been sufficient, but the forum software wouldn't operate properly on the new server. After about 20-30 minutes of looking for the problem, I reset the IP address back to the original, so the folks who need a dose of the forum with their morning coffee wouldn't go into withdrawal. ;)

So from about 4:30 until about 7:00 am yesterday, you should have gotten to the forum, with a "maintenance mode" message. From about 7:00 until about 7:30, you'd have gotten errors (if your first try to get to the forum after powering up your PC was after the first IP change).

This is one of those things that, as the other geeks among us will attest, either works fine right from the start or with very minor changes, or else it take hours to track down the problem. So rather than keep the forum offline for an indefinite period, I just backed out for now.

So how do we know if we're on the actual forum, or an exact copy. And how do I know you're all you and not cloned exact duplicates?

Don't know what would make you think that.

Just double check at Google... (I sure wish I knew how to do this...)

:LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom