"Have a nice weekend"

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I was talking to a customer service rep on the phone a little while ago, and when we ended the conversation, she said “Have a nice weekend.” I wished her the same and as I hung up it dawned on me that my reaction to her well-intentioned wish must be how someone of the Jewish faith reacts when someone who doesn’t know they are Jewish wishes them “Merry Christmas”. It was not applicable.

Since I’m retired there are no real differences in weekdays and weekends other than more people on the streets in the middle of the day and better football on TV. :)

REWahoo! said:
I was talking to a customer service rep on the phone a little while ago, and when we ended the conversation, she said “Have a nice weekend.” I wished her the same and as I hung up it dawned on me that my reaction to her well-intentioned wish must be how someone of the Jewish faith reacts when someone who doesn’t know they are Jewish wishes them “Merry Christmas”. It was not applicable.

Interesting observation. I guess I always respond to the spirit of the gesture rather than its applicability. If it is meant as a kindness, it's appreciated strictly applicable or not.

So, whether it's have a nice.... weekend, Christmas, Ramadan, Hannukah, fine by me.

Now, "have a nice life" is a different story.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Interesting observation. I guess I always respond to the spirit of the gesture rather than its applicability. If it is meant as a kindness, it's appreciated strictly applicable or not.

So, whether it's have a nice.... weekend, Christmas, Ramadan, Hannukah, fine by me.

Now, "have a nice life" is a different story.

Yep ;)

I've heard that phrase many times in the 16+ months since retiring, but this is the first time I've ever had the "NA" reaction. Maybe it had something to do with my perception of just how much the young lady on the phone was looking forward to a couple of days off...and how I could once relate to that feeling. But now I no longer have to!

I really hate to hear "have a nice weekend" when I am facing a stressful weekend of work. It makes me feel even worse. And it is very insensitive to wish someone "have a nice day" when they are on their way to a funeral, just heard they have cancer, etc, etc.

We need to read people's demeanour before parroting off well meant but occasionally depressing greetings!

Meadbh said:
I really hate to hear "have a nice weekend" when I am facing a stressful weekend of work. It makes me feel even worse. And it is very insensitive to wish someone "have a nice day" when they are on their way to a funeral, just heard they have cancer, etc, etc.

We need to read people's demeanour before parroting off well meant but occasionally depressing greetings!

The other day I told some guy in a store to "Have a nice day!"
He replied, "It's already too late." :)

JG

Meadbh said:
I really hate to hear "have a nice weekend" when I am facing a stressful weekend of work.

This whole board is full of depressing posts like this lately........geeesh.....

Not only is it dreaded Friday, the day before hoards of workers are unchained to crowd the streets, shops and places of entertainment, but now I'm hearing some people are going to do stressful work all weekend. Ugh! :p It's like hearing death reports from Iraq. Sad, sad, very sad.

Well, good luck, hope it's not too stressful and thanks for doing your part to keep the world outside work less crowded on weekends for us RE types.

youbet said:
...Not only is it dreaded Friday, the day before hoards of workers are unchained to crowd the streets, shops and places of entertainment, but now I'm hearing some people are going to do stressful work all weekend. Ugh! :p It's like hearing death reports from Iraq. Sad, sad, very sad.

Well, good luck, hope it's not too stressful and thanks for doing your part to keep the world outside work less crowded on weekends for us RE types.

Another take on this is that, as a self-employed person making my own hours, I sometimes plan on working the weekend and then taking days off in the middle of the week.

I'd rather work instead of banging carriages with a bunch of stressed people trying to buy a gallon of milk. I do my shopping with old folks usually between 10am and noon during weekdays. Stress-free, nobody on the road, and I feel like a young puppy compared to everyone around me.

maybe we dont want to have a nice weekend.

just maybe we had 4,356 nice weekends in a row and now want to have a plain ole crappy weekend

now the pressure is on us to have a nice weekend again..

im crushed!

"thank you and have a nice day" doesnt mean what it used to....with the low level of customer service anymore....just like the "your call is important to us"....followed by 30 mins on hold ;)

Yeah, it took me several years to get over the "have a nice weekend" and wanting to explain that in fact the weeks are much better.

Now (thankfully), I'm back to just accepting the gesture of the saying and returning it and ignoring the fact that it has no bearing on the structure of my life.

I too tend to think the "weekends" s**k compared to the regular week and the holiday weekends are the absolute worst!!! Of course it's the holiday weekends where you get the most comments about "having a good one".

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom