Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Not this year

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Never get 'em

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters

astromeria

Moderator Emeritus
I have no choice if I want to volunteer at the hospital, so I got mine already. The very next week, DH came down with some sort of respiratory virus going through his department. Very odd because he almost never gets sick. I didn't catch it from him--also odd, as I seem to catch respiratory ailments easily. Did my shot deflect the flu? Who knows, just glad I didn't get sick!

Last year I had a severe reaction to it so I thought this year I'll pass. The new girl across the hall has had a nasty cough. I don't really know how to talk to her since she is brand new. I figure I better go get a shot. Reaction or not, it is better than whooping cough.

Jenni

I got my first flu shot ever this year. Can't immunize the baby because she is too young, so I had to deal with my needle phobia and get the shot.

It has often been a PITA to schedule. DH and I were shopping at Safeway when visiting the grand-baby and there was the nurse. Lets see, milk, OJ, tomatoes, flu shot.. Got em!!

Costco......$18.00. Didn't even have to be a member. :)

I did it at Costco too, but it took an hour due to the loooong line.

$28 at Kroger.

I got spoiled all those years of free shots (USAF employee).

All Ontario residents are eligible for a free flu shot each year.

Mrs. Zipper and I have never had one.

Most really old people get them. :LOL:

There are questions if this program is cost effective.

I haven't gotten one since leaving the military almost XX years ago.
img_448173_0_7dab5df9aa0afbe36d0aad4feb743f62.gif
I had no choice then, but I hated getting one. Even though it is supposed to be impossible to get the flu from a "killed" virus, I would come down with something 24-36 hours later that seemed a lot like the flu to me. I felt like you-know-what for three days or so before the symptoms passed. Not as bad as the flu, but bad enough that I don't want to deliberately inflict it upon myself.

I'm not aware of any changes in how the vaccine is made, still incubated in chicken eggs (how advanced its THAT?). That said, I'll probably reconsider if the boid flu pandemic starts...
img_448173_1_289ff969b318a3a190344779da84b67b.gif

Zipper said:
All Ontario residents are eligible for a free flu shot each year.

Mrs. Zipper and I have never had one.

Most really old people get them. :LOL:

There are questions if this program is cost effective.

If they offer free plague injections, I hope you will sign up.
Now, that would be "cost effective". :D

JG

The entire family is scheduled for the flu shot next Tuesday and it's free because it's covered by Alberta Health Care.

I get one every year but DH usually skips it. This year though he's getting one because the Doctor recommended it since the baby is exposed to us (yes, baby is getting a shot too!)

I got mine last month. Too many near misses with bronchitis & pneumonia to mess with the flu.

REWahoo! said:
I haven't gotten one since leaving the military almost XX years ago.
Spouse got hers in a nasal spray (both sides). There are a lot fewer needles around the military medical clinics these days.

astromeria said:
I didn't catch it from him--also odd, as I seem to catch respiratory ailments easily. Did my shot deflect the flu? Who knows, just glad I didn't get sick!

Sort of. When your immune system is excited, you produce interferons which will protect you from other viruses.

It didn't work for me, though. I got the flu vaccine, and then caught a cold a week or so later....

Some interesting flu shot facts:
  • You can't get a cold or the flu from a flu shot. However, since they tend to be given during the shoulder seasons where lots of other viruses are going around, many will predictably develop various viral infections in the week following their flu shot (or during any other week of that season). Of course, standing in a crowded public line while waiting for your shot can't help.
  • The intramuscular vaccine is dead. The nasal vaccine is alive but weakened (attenuated), so immunosuppressed people shouldn't take the nasal one.
  • The flu shot reduces your chance of getting flu symptoms by about 25%. Yes, just 25%. Lots of asymptomatic cases are prevented too (detected by antibody blood tests).
  • It cost between $11 and $66 per person vaccinated. Most researchers note that recaptured wages make it cost-effective in a working population. Deaths and symptoms prevented easily justify it in high risk groups.
  • 5% get side effects, usually a flu-like syndrome lasting a day or less. Rare egg allergy reactions occur in people severely allergic, almost never in people who have no previous reactions to poultry or eggs.
  • Guillain-Barré syndrome is a very rare side effect, and deaths prevented from flu easily trump death from that (unless you're the one who dies :'().
  • Flu in pregnant women is particularly dangerous. Flu shots in pregnant women have no known excess side-effects for Mama or baby (the shot, that is -- nasal flu vaccine is NOT safe for pregnant women). So pregnant women are in the recommended group.

brewer12345 said:
I got my first flu shot ever this year. Can't immunize the baby because she is too young, so I had to deal with my needle phobia and get the shot.

"Annual influenza immunization is recommended in all children 6 through 59 months of age, for household contact and out-of-home caregivers of chidlren 0 to 59 months of age, and for children and adolescents in high-risk groups."

Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases (the Red Book), 27th Edition, 2006, American Academy of Pediatrics.

We went about 2 weeks ago to a Walgreen's about 15 miles away. The County Health Dept keeps saying there's plenty to go around, but they contunually have to cut-short or cancel their flu shot clinics. However, most of the pharmacies around have loads of the vaccine, and can shoot hundreds of folks at each of their clinics.

Makes us wonder what the heck is wrong our Health Dept.....besides them being somewhat inept.

There is no out of pocket expense for those on Medi-Care, and it's only $25 for us young pups. Plus, my employer will pay/reimburse for the shots!!! :D

(BTW, we were out of town when our local Walgreen's gave the shots, that's why we drove the extra distance.)

62 years old and never had a flu shot. Dad is 89 and he doesn't get 'em
either. Disclaimer: I did get the flu 2 years ago and was afraid I would die
(actually for a while I was afraid I wouldn't) :). No flu shots for us. Just rolling the dice.

JG

Got mine free at Kaiser (if you don't count the $300 I send them every month). Took 3 minutes to find a parking spot and less than a minute between going in the door and getting the shot.

Have never gotten a flu shot. I am working through my bi-annual cold again, per usual for the past 30 years........then I make it through the flu season just fine.......

I'm sure my results are atypical, but DW always gets a flu shot, and always gets sick a few days later.......... :p

brewer12345 said:
I did it at Costco too, but it took an hour due to the loooong line.

Yeah, we endured an annoying line too. But, at least it passed by some interesting items on the shelves. If we were members, would have probably gone back and purchased a few things after the needle part was over!

youbet said:
Yeah, we endured an annoying line too. But, at least it passed by some interesting items on the shelves. If we were members, would have probably gone back and purchased a few things after the needle part was over!

I was there to shop anyway. Only problem was that my 2YO was there with me, waiting. Fortunately, she was good about it, spending time sitting in the cart and playing with the oldsters in line with us (and smelling flowers from a display we slowly moved past).

To be effective for the community as a whole not everyone needs to get a flu shot. There are some individuals who really need it because if they catch the bug they are at high risk of serious complications. If few around you are infectious you are at low risk.

Health care workers need the shots because they come in close contact with infected patients, for example. The next best place to catch a bug is an elevator.

If there is an infectious bad-nasty and you aren't protected by a shot the best response is to hunker down and let the wave pass over you. Those who caught it and survived lower the contagion rate.

We do them for free for our staff and their families at work each year. A nurse comes in a spends a half a day with us. Definitely in our self interest. :)

What is being done in your communities to plan for a possible flu pandemic?

Edited: Oh, I see Surfdaddy has started a thread about this. I'll go over there.......

Back
Top Bottom