Change own oil in your car?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
If you change your own oil in your vehicles, how do you dispose of the "black oil" after you are finished with the project?

I have handled it various ways over the years (some I'm not proud of), but I currently do it the right way and take it over to the local Wal-Mart auto shop and ask if I can dump it into their vast pit of goo. They have never said no to me. I presume that they are required to take it from me, but I'm not exactly sure.

What do you do with your left over goo? 8)

Almost any Auto Parts store will take it for free. I use Advance Auto, up to 6 gallons per week. But it takes me a few months to save up that much. They also take batteries for free

How do you transport the oil to the waste center? Do you have some kind of sealable container that does not spill while driving (or walking) there?

Thanks,
Kramer

I don't change my oil myself too much anymore.....and never in the winter. Somehow, the $15 savings doesn't seem like all that much when I'm laying on the fridgid, cement garage floor!

But, when I do, I drop it off at Pit Pro, similar to what you do with Walmart.

Oh yeah......I save a little to use as bar lub for my chain saw.

mickeyd said:
I buy oil in those plastic containers with the long neck and I just refill them with black oil, screw the cap back on, and take them to Wal-Mart in 2-3 plastic bags along with my old oil filter.
Thanks, mickeyd. I have not been changing my oil for 20 years now, but this is something I figure I might do for myself in FIRE. It seems like the going rate is around $30, so I am guessing that is around $20 savings after parts and labor for doing it yourself?

Kramer

kramer said:
How do you transport the oil to the waste center? Do you have some kind of sealable container that does not spill while driving (or walking) there?

Thanks,
Kramer

Greg puts in in an old milk jug. Don't leave it in there too long though, they will disintegrate.

Buy mine in the 5 Quart Jug at Wal-Mart. Drain the oil, put in the empty 5 Quart Jug and take it back to Wal-Mart. No muss no fuss.

i take mine to the hazardous chemical recycling at local landfill.

The guy there had a bunch of spare containers and gave me a
nice heavy-duty plastic gasoline container. That way I don't
have to go every time I change oil.

kramer said:
Thanks, mickeyd. I have not been changing my oil for 20 years now, but this is something I figure I might do for myself in FIRE. It seems like the going rate is around $30, so I am guessing that is around $20 savings after parts and labor for doing it yourself?

Kramer

I save about $15. Pit Pro does it for about $25 with a coupon. The local franchise is cooperative about letting me be out there in the shop directing activities so I know they have checked everything they say they check and have done things correctly.

But, despite my stiff, old 59 year old body, I still run the cars up on the ramps and crawl under to do it myself when it's not so cold out in the garage.

What do you guys do with the filters? I just let them drain dry and drop them in the garbage. There doesn't seem to be any other choice.

One of our cars is a 2005 Camry however the damn oil filter is impossible to get to in my garage as you either need a special tool or need to be standing in a pit under that car. Still working on that one....

mickeyd said:
If you change your own oil in your vehicles, how do you dispose of the "black oil" after you are finished with the project?
Our oil goes into a regular plastic trash bag with a huge wad of newspapers until it's all a gooey oil-soaked mess, then it's put into the trash. The trash truck dumps its entire load at the HPower plant. (You can also buy a $1.99 box of 0.5 cu ft filled with shredded newspaper that absorbs your oil and goes through the same process.) HPower does a little sorting and burns it to generate electricity that they sell to HECO. The leftover metal goes to recyclers and the ash (what little there is) goes to an "ashphalt" plant. The HPower plant is on Oahu's southwest corner so the northeast tradewinds blow its stack gases straight out to sea.

One of the HPower shift managers is a retired submariner. They're one of the top half-dozen firms hiring veterans who think it's fun to deal with messes like that. I think of it as lifetime employment.

One of Oahu's more popular attractions for locals is the "Tour de Trash" where they take busloads of taxpayers around the various disposal sites to show off how it works. (http://envhonolulu.org/solid_waste/Tour_de_Trash.htm) HPower even demonstrates how their sorting & shredding is automated, heavily armored, and designed to vent upwards for the occasional undetected propane cylinder or leftover fireworks. Sometimes the energy "yield" is a bit more than they expected.

One stop on the Tour de Trash is the Hawaii Earth Products yard, where they take our green waste and compost it in windrows that are 100 yards long, 10 feet high, and 20 feet wide. There'll be a couple dozen windrows cooking away at a time. Other businesses shred old autos for scrap metal, dispose of construction debris (cement & gypsum & carpeting), recycle old roads & glass into new asphalt, even vitrify medical waste in a carbon arc, and even show off the sewage plant.

youbet said:
What do you guys do with the filters? I just let them drain dry and drop them in the garbage. There doesn't seem to be any other choice.
Into the trash with the oil-soaked newspaper. I figure if Fram makes as crappy a filter as the other parts companies claim then it doesn't last long in the waste stream.

mickeyd said:
One of our cars is a 2005 Camry however the damn oil filter is impossible to get to in my garage as you either need a special tool or need to be standing in a pit under that car.
Ever try running one or both front wheels up on a Rhino Ramp and sliding underneath? Can you reach it that way?

I've noticed that most filters and their mounting threads are designed to spill as much oil as possible all over the chassis & exhaust before you get them safely bagged up. So I only change the oil every six months, which works out to about once every 1500-2000 miles...

I do my own oil change mostly because I like putzing with my vehicle.

I use a reusable used oil container that holds up to 2 oil changes worth of used oil. It lies flat on the ground under the vehicle and has a self-contained funnel-shaped drip pan and a screw cap to close it up when finished. It has another screw cap near the handle that is used to empty the oil.

I just bring it to the same place I buy my oil to have it emptied and returned to me.

Here in the peoples republic of california, both the oil and filter are considered hazardous materials and you can get one heck of a fine for improper disposal of either.

The good news is, I think most places that sell or change oil are required to take your old stuff back. But they dont have to make it easy on you, they dont have to be nice about it, and they dont have to take your container, just the oil.

But we have a nice hazardous waste place that takes batteries, oil, paint, etc for free, they're open all day every day, and they dont give you a lot of trouble.

Costs me about ten bucks to change my oil. Usually $3-5 for the filters on sale, and I buy "wolfs head" oild from sams club for a little over a buck a quart. The old timers will remember wolfs head as an old-time brand from way back. Pennzoil bought the name years ago and sells pennzoil under that name to hit the el-cheapos among us without diluting their brand.

My expedition was a horrifying experience to do as a large team of scientists using massive supercomputers determined the absolute worst spot on the engine to mount the filter. Once that was achieved, teams of tiny elves were hired to sharpen every piece of metal near the filter, and a special brain trust was tapped to find as many obscure other engine-bay items to place as close as possible to the filter, all around it.

My BMW was also interesting, as the filter was on top of the motor, open side down. Pretty much guaranteed to dump its contents all over the exhaust manifold. About what you'd expect from a car whose fuel pump replacement instructions started with "remove exhaust system; remove drive shaft"...which I translated roughly from german to english as "remove rear seat, cut hole over fuel pump through sheet metal with reciprocating saw"

Infiniti came a close second to the BMW in intelligent oil spillage geometry by placing the filter on the front of the motor amidst all the fan belts. Took me an hour with a flashlight to FIND it the first time.

The RAV4 has the plug and filter on the front of the engine, right behind the bumper. I dont even have to get under it, just shove the drain pan under it, reach under and its all done in about 2 minutes.

I'm about to find out how hard it is to do the oil change in the lexus. The nearest dealer is about 45 minutes away and when I was in the area the other day and called to see if they could do a quicky oil change, they told me the next available 'slot' was a week away. For an oil change. ::)

Our toyota dealer can do them, but the last time I took it there the mechanic looked at it and practically mimicked the old aamco commercial "Gee...I always wanned to work on one of them there japanneeeeese transmissseyones". It appeared that I had learned more from reading the lexus product brochures and putting gas in the car every six weeks than the mechanic knew about them.

Sooo...looks like I'll be removing a large plastic belly pan sometime in the near future...while my wife thinks up ways to blame me for everything that ever goes wrong with the car from this point forward.

By the way, to remove oil filters without sloshing, find an empty (or about to be) round plastic bottle of something thats flexible and only slightly larger than the oil filter and cut the top off of it...then spread some glue inside of it and while the glue is tacky, sprinkle it with sand and then shake out the residual. You now have a handy-dandy oil filter removal tool that'll catch all the loose oil. Slip it over the filter, squeeze and spin.

Note: this does not work on an infiniti q45 or bmw 325ic, unless you suspend the car upside down or from its tail (respectively) or have an anti-gravity device.

I have also tested the fram "quick drain" and found it to be a fabulous device that saves no time at all, still dribbles oil and often leaks.

And yes, fram filters do suck.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I have also tested the fram "quick drain" and found it to be a fabulous device that saves no time at all, still dribbles oil and often leaks.
The Quick Drain is a godsend to those who tend to overtorque crankcase bolts and strip them out when the manufacturer isn't making them anymore.

Or so I've been told.

I start it draining before I tackle the filter. By the time I'm done with the filter the Quick Drain is done with the sump.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Our toyota dealer can do them, but the last time I took it there the mechanic looked at it and practically mimicked the old aamco commercial "Gee...I always wanned to work on one of them there japanneeeeese transmissseyones".

In the 90's my city car was a 92 LS400 that used to belong to a crack dealer. It was nearly new when I first got it and I did my best to keep it away from Mega PD's mechanics (Official Motto: Get a Bigger Hammer!) until it was out of warranty. That worked fine as long as it was under warranty, and I was springing for oil changes out of my pocket. Eventually though, as the car got more miles on it and the warranty expired, I took it to the certified half-blind morons mechanics at Fleet Services and asked them to change the oil and filter.

I stood and watched the guy they assigned to do the work. He figured out the oil pan drain plug quickly enough, but then he couldn't find the oil filter. After ten minutes of hunting he went and got a co-worker who went through the same process with the same results. And so it went until there were four guys underneath. At any second I expected to see cutting torches being hauled over. The garage crew was a ethnically diverse group and after nearly thirty minutes of trying to find the filter somebody called over one of the Vietnamese mechanics. They made room for him and he was showing them the filter in seconds. As he walked away one of the guys asked him if he had ever worked at a Lexus dealership.

No way. Man, you just got to have slanty eyes to work on asian car!

kramer said:

Thanks,
Kramer

Yep, DW buys her kitty litter in big plastic jugs with nice screw tight caps on them. I pressed two of those into duty. When both are full I go to AA and drop the oil. Reuse the jugs.

I put mine in gallon milk jugs and take it to work. One of the techs has a waste oil heater in his home shop and he keeps a few plastic crates in the back of his truck. I just park beside him and put the jugs in the crates. Worked so far for about 10 years.

Nords said:
The Quick Drain is a godsend to those who tend to overtorque crankcase bolts and strip them out when the manufacturer isn't making them anymore.

Or so I've been told.
Yep, that's the only reason I installed the Quick Drain. I was already using the oversize drain plug (for-idiots-who-have- cross-threaded-their-original-one-very-badly). The Quick Drain thing is no easier to use, and it seems to take a very long time to drain the oil.

JC Whitney sells a filter relocation kit I've been tempted to buy. I could move the filter on our minivan to someplace accessible, and even mount it with the opening up. The $50-$65 price seems okay.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2011707/p-2011707/N-111+10201+600002024/c-10101

It's free to take it to the recycling center, and I have a sealable oil collector like this:

Oil Collector

It works great.

I've given up changing the oil on my Tacoma. Optimally designed to make a mess. *&^*^ *&^*&%$%^$!

I've printed out a bunch of sheets of this checklist/record for when I change the oil :

Oil Change Record and Checklist
Date: __________
Car: Tacoma Echo Other: _______________
Odometer: ____________
Oil: Chevron 5W-30 Other: _____________
Equipment:
q Oil Filter Wrench
q Six quarts of oil
q Recycling container for discarded oil
q Wheel ramps
q Blocks to wedge behind tires
q Wrenches (14 mm for drain plug, socket for oil filter wrench)
q Hammer
q Funnel
q Rags
q Sawdust
q New oil filter (Tacoma: FO-8, Echo: Fram PH4967 or Toyota 90915-YZZA2)
q Newspaper
q Ziploc bag for old oil filter
q Grocery bag for drain pan, old oil filter
Procedure
q Drive around to heat up oil
q Drive up wheel ramps
q Set emergency brake firmly
q Place blocks around rear tires
q Open hood
q Place drain pan under drain plug
q Have rag handy
q Loosen drain plug with wrench
q Remove drain plug with fingers (adjust position as flow slows down!)
q Get Ziploc bag, (wait a while so that oil level is below filter?)
q Position newspaper or second pad for oil from the filter
q Remove oil filter, place it in Ziploc bag
q Remove oil filler cap
q Wait one hour for all oil to drain
q Spread oil around the rim of the new filter (with finger)
q Wipe oil filter seat with clean rag
q Put filter on, finger tight
q Tighten by ½ turn additional
q Replace the drain plug
q Put new oil in, check level with dipstick (Tacoma 5.2 Qt, Echo 3.9 Q)
q Close oil filler cap
q Close oil drain pan
q Double check oil filter, drain plug, oil filler cap, dipstick level
q Start engine and check for leaks
q Remove blocks
q Drive off ramps
q Clean up

P.S. I looked into getting one of those quick change quick drain things. It's a nice idea, but remember that it doesn't save you more than 20 seconds or so. Most of the work is getting things ready, and replacing the oil filter.

samclem said:
JC Whitney sell a filter relocation kit I've been tempted to buy. I could move the filter on our minivan to someplace accessible, and even mount it with the opening up. The $50-$65 price sems okay.

I had one of those on my Jeep and loved it! I was able to put the filter someplace that made sense and was easily accesible. I also put it in position to drain into itself so I didn't spill oil all over the driveway. I will be putting one on the Ram this summer, guaranteed.

retire@40 said:
I do my own oil change mostly because I like putzing with my vehicle.

Makes sense if that's why you do it.

I have my cars done for $15.00 apiece and that includes a Lube Job.

Yup, I don't do oil changes for the money savings. My vegetable garden, home canning, sausage-making, winemaking, DIY home repairs, and similar hobbies fall in the same category of costing me more time than the savings are worth. But, as long as I enjoy doing them, it's not work.

PS TomboneAl, that's the same used oil container I use. Thinking back, I believe I've had the same one for about 15 years. At a cost of about $8, I sure got my money's worth out of it.

Back
Top Bottom