more adventures in Operating Systems

Ed_The_Gypsy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Update on my PC-BSD experience. Had let it sit for months but recently had a few weekends to play with it again.

I updated to the latest version. It found my ethernet card! Have not customized anything so as not to shoot self in foot. Learning how to install software various ways. PC-BSD and FreeBSD make this easy! I am very impressed. I have not installed any games or entertainment features.

PF (Packet Filter) was installed with PC-BSD automatically and it is behind a D-Link hardware router/firewall (no wireless option), so I am not worried about security. Yet. :)

Installed Python with NumPy and SciPy, Vim7.2. My short-term objective is to learn a little Python. Maybe play with Gambas later--like Visual Basic, I gather. I have some technical programs to write that I do not want to commit to a MS product.

Now everything I need to work with is right there when I turn the machine on, including the tutorials, etc. Only problem: no *nix drivers for my Canon i350 printer.

This is getting to be fun. :D

Cheers,

Gypsy

Only problem: no *nix drivers for my Canon i350 printer.

When I set up OSX for my MIL, her old Epson printer was not supported. Found a CUPS printing system, I forget the details, its a UNIX based printer driver thing-a-ma-gingie. It supports just about any printer under the sun from what I recall.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom