I bet you Eddie Van Halen.......

Saw a photo of Van Halen recently. His hair has gone gray. Kinda reminded me how old I really am now.
However, yeah...ain't nothing like getting yourself looking good to get the -ex's upset. Revenge is mighty sweet sometimes...hee, hee!

She probably did the right thing...

Attachments

• capt.ny10703090648.people_van_halen_ny107.jpg
    capt.ny10703090648.people_van_halen_ny107.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 11
It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Any bets on how long it will take her to put the pounds back on? Not that I mind, I didn't think she looked bad at all at her previous weight, though it probably wasn't healthy.

What is it that all the men seem to love Valerie Bertinelli? She's adorable, but so are so many other stars. She must have that something extra. I know my -ex was crazy about her...and Diana Ross. He was an equal opportunity cheater, anyway...ha!
Good things those old rockers have lots of money, because I would think waking up to those faces....well, ugh. Personally, my gag reflex just isn't that high. They're downright frighteningly ugly now. If that's what drugs and booze does, I'm glad I don't do either.

They're downright frighteningly ugly now. If that's what drugs and booze does, I'm glad I don't do either.

I think that at least in some part, it is what getting old does. It is hard for rock stars pushing 70 to look young and attractive everytime the papparazi unexpectedly pushes a camera in their faces.

I know that if someone snapped my photo before coffee in the morning, or while working hard in the garden on a hot summer day, the result would not be something I'd want on the front page of the paper.

If that's what drugs and booze does, I'm glad I don't do either.
Cigarette smoking contributes to premature aging.

But I'm sure they're still kids on the inside!

I think it's interesting to watch the second generation trying to stake out their own turf-- Dweezil Zappa, Wolfgang Van Halen, Jason Bonham, and even, I suppose, Julian Lennon...

Saw Dweezil at a "Zappa Plays Zappa" show a couple of years ago. He doesn't quite have Frank's sense of humor, but he and the band definitely had the chops.

Another second generationer is Derek Trucks, son of Allman Brothers drummer Butch. Excellent player, though not a big star. I don't think that genre has a place in today's world...

I think that at least in some part, it is what getting old does. It is hard for rock stars pushing 70 to look young and attractive everytime the papparazi unexpectedly pushes a camera in their faces.

For sure that. Also, they are quite thin. Many older people have a bit more wrinkle smoothing padding on their faces.

Ha

Another second generationer is Derek Trucks, son of Allman Brothers drummer Butch. Excellent player, though not a big star. I don't think that genre has a place in today's world...

Not a star? I am usually in agreement with your musical statements, but not this time. He's been an Allman, got his own band playing big venues, played with Clapton at the Crossroads Guitar Festival, married Susan Tedeschi :smitten:, and was rated one of the top 3 New Guitar Gods by Rolling Stone. If you are talking about number one pop hit duets with Britney I'll agree, but Jimi himself only had one single ever make it into the top 20 on Billboard. And I think he's Butch's nephew.

YouTube - John Frusciante, John Mayer and Derek Trucks- Rolling Stone

YouTube - Derek Trucks Band- Done Got Over 11/15/07

What is it that all the men seem to love Valerie Bertinelli? She's adorable, but so are so many other stars.

She's got that "all-American-girl-next-door" thing like Sally Field. They just seem to stay adorable all their lives. :D

Not a star?

Just saying that record labels and Madison Avenue aren't pushing his kind of music. Now if he was the Jonas Brothers... :LOL:

Well, the record labels and Madison Ave are going dooowwwwnnnnn! They can't deal with the new world of online music. They'll be screaming "DRM" and "RIAA" as they go to Congress for a bailout. Maybe they can merge with GM and Citi in a grand bankruptcy corporation. :tongue:

This is a 90 to 100 year old acoustic delta blues style, but the acoustic guitar is replaced by an electric.

It is good enough, but who is the market for this kind of music? Mostly old guys who enjoyed the acoutic blues revival of the 70s. Even I don't like to listen to it. If I want electric blues, I want Muddy Waters or Buddy Guy or Howling Wolf or at least something with some pop to it. Or Lightning Hopkins which is sheer poetry.

Allman Brothers were a terrific band, but basically they fit the stoner culture of the time. Too often when white guys play blues they take a harmonically and structurally uninteresting form that was kept interesting by driving rhythms when played by Black bands, and remove the rhythm.

Yawn.

Ha

IMO the Allmans have an incredible rhythm section. I've seen them often over the years, and they are as good as they ever were. I personally would prefer Wolf or Muddy or John Lee or whoever, but they are all dead. BB's still here, but he's phoning it in, and I can't blame him. I do see Buddy Guy whenever possible.

So I watch what I can, and I'm glad there are still youngsters coming along who appreciate the music and want to play it. And just like us when we were young, some of the kids today will eventually realize that their pop stars are covering older songs, and they'll track it back through the white rockers to the black originals. And they'll gather appreciation for the new guys carrying on the traditions. So the audience will be there, even though the paparazzi won't know who they are.

By the way, when I do see Buddy Guy or Keb Mo or the Allmans, there's always a significant percentage of younger folks in the crowd.

Last edited:
IMO the Allmans have an incredible rhythm section. I've seen them often over the years, and they are as good as they ever were.

I agree about the Allmans, but what I meant is not that the drummers or bass players were not good, just that most of the black music tends to "jump" and be danceable, while the white versions tend to be stand-able. Not that it isn't good; it is just different. A club band in a black neighborhood had to create dance music, and that tends to be a necessary part of black commercial music like Hip-Hop also.

Even the old black acoustic music was often played in juke joints where people went to dance. Have a look at the wonderful scene in the beginning of "Great Balls of Fire" where Jerry and his cousin Jimmy Swaggert peak in the windows of a juke joint on Saturday night.

Ha

Not sure of the accuracy, but there's a hilarious scene in the Great Balls Of Fire movie, wherein many of the stars of the era were touring together, and Jerry Lee was po'd that Chuck Berry got top billing. So, at the end of his performance, Jerry set his piano on fire, and as he walked off stage, he told Chuck to "top that"...

I agree about the Allmans, but what I meant is not that the drummers or bass players were not good, just that most of the black music tends to "jump" and be danceable, while the white versions tend to be stand-able. Not that it isn't good; it is just different.

Ah, I misunderstood. And I agree. The music today is standable. Perfect description. Of course, the reason I prefer to be in the band is that I can't dance. :dance: This smiley is a pretty goood example of me on the dance floor. :D

Back
Top Bottom