Motorcycle: How big is enough?

Sam, Since you don't yet have a Harley on your list, I'd suggest you buy one.

Back in the early 90s, I was introduced to a new Sportster 883 owned by one of my tennis partners. At the time, I had a 5+ year old Honda CB400. The Sportster engine (883cc) is more than twice as big as my CB400. The Sportster cost at least twice as much as the CB400. Probably 3 times louder too. But on the road, the Sportster was always behind the CB400. 0-60, 1/4 miles, cornering...

May be the Sportster is not representative of HD, but after that experience, HD no longer exist in my vocabulary.

Sam

You ain't slowin' down on me now, are you darlin'? :LOL:
Ahhh...I guess I was. But it's ok now...I've recharged my batteries......
emoticon-char-015.gif

Back in the early 90s, I was introduced to a new Sportster 883 owned by one of my tennis partners. At the time, I had a 5+ year old Honda CB400. The Sportster engine (883cc) is more than twice as big as my CB400. The Sportster cost at least twice as much as the CB400. Probably 3 times louder too. But on the road, the Sportster was always behind the CB400. 0-60, 1/4 miles, cornering...

May be the Sportster is not representative of HD, but after that experience, HD no longer exist in my vocabulary.

Sam

That is an astute analysis that remains relevant.

Those motorcycles, however, do still have their place in the world.

After 30+ years without a bike last December I bought a Suzuki C90T touring bike. At 1462 cc and 665 lbs dry I thought it might be too much bike. So far I'm enjoying it and have 7,800 miles on it. Being a touring bike it's designed for a comfortable ride, not speed and flickable handling. It doesn't seem to notice the air being pushed aside by big trucks.

If you've been off a bike for a while an excellent read is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough.

Two years ago we traded for Suzuki VStrom 650s.

I love the V-Strom 650. True standard sitting position, relatively light, strong engine, light off-road. But the seat is way too high for me. I can manage a 31" seat high with some difficulty, but anything above that is out of the question.

Sam

Adding lowering links and shaving a 1/2" off the seat would get you to 31". It seems that a number of folks go that route.

Back
Top Bottom