Problem with Mozilla Firefox???

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This started on 7/27 and continues today 7/28, I am having trouble getting Firefox to load up with any speed at all. In fact, it is so slow that I switch to Internet Explorer to get on this board or look anything else up.
What the heck is wrong? And am I the only one having this problem:confused:?
:confused:

For example, I just go on this board using Internet Explorer and was already typing the above paragraph and then Firefox finally loaded up. I have never run into this with Firefox before, so am really concerned. Maybe some computer gurus here know what is going on?

I checked all my ports and nothing is open. I run my McAfee daily a couple times often and update every single day. Since Internet Explorer is speedy today, it has to be a problem with Firefox. A first there.

I quit using Firefox months ago because it ran so slowly. I rarely use it now, so I'm no help.

My firefox at home runs OK based on speed... the problems I have had since the last download was it kept crashing when I was not there...

Try downloading the newest updates and see if it gets better... also, get rid of all old files you do not need...

Hi Orchidflower. What version Fifefox are you running and do you have any add-ons?

Firefox could be corrupted. Back up your bookmarks/preferences then try uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox. Check their "help" section for info on how to back up bookmarks. It was pretty quick and easy if you follow step by step instructions (I did it recently).

Edit to add: I had installed some Java service pack add-on to my firefox a couple weeks ago and it caused it to crash instantly if I clicked on anything at the ER forum. I ended up uninstalling that java service pack. 6.0.0.2 or something.

Well, after doing alot of investigating I've kinda figured out Firefox crashed on me (duh...I am no computer pro as you can tell). I have uninstalled it a couple times but, obviously, files are still there as I cannot fix it. There are some good YouTube things on how to fix your computer when it crashes, but they say go to start then run and run won't even work properly.
I was using 3.6.8 the latest version. I update everything like crazy I'm so paranoid of this sort of thing happening...and it still happens.
After so many years using Firefox, this is the first time I have ever had any kind of problem with it.

Since another post said he also had a problem with this latest version, I wonder if there is something wrong with this version?

3.6.3 but, my gosh this is embarrassing, but what are add-ons? :blush: I must not have them if I don't know what they are?
Sorry, we posted together. Go to tools, then add-ons. They are programs others have written to carry out specific functions for firefox. Every time there is an upgrade, add-ons cause problems.

If you have add-ons, to the far right there will be a couple of buttons to enable and disable. You should disable each one, then close firefox, then open again. Then you can enable those that you really use.

3.6.8 is the latest version of FF. If you are using any add-ons try disabling them to see if that improves the situation. I've been using FF for years and the only time I've had any problems they were caused by add-ons.

Wahoo,
Nope, my fingers are behind. It is actually 3.6.8.

Orchidflower,
You might try clearing the cache before removing, and then make sure the Mozilla directories are deleted before reinstalling. Might not be a bad idea to also do a registry clean, I use Crap Cleaner, between removing and install

I have the same issue with the latest version. Try Chrome - it's FAST.

Yes, I did have about 5 add-ons, so I disabled all of them and voila! My Firefox is working okay again. Lesson learned and thank all you kind folks for your assistance...whew. I'm the person the computer repair man just dreams about walking in his door I'm sure...one less for the computer repair guy today!!!:dance:

Annnnnnnd, thank you for that as I was just going to download Chrome!

Firefox working just great now...I never would have even thought of add-ons hanging up the entire program. Who knew? :blush:

Annnnnnnd, thank you for that as I was just going to download Chrome!

Firefox working just great now...I never would have even thought of add-ons hanging up the entire program. Who knew? :blush:
Glad FF is up and running. Go figure on the add-ons. I picked this up at a firefox help forum. Unfortunately, FF has had it's share of issues and them some over the past year.

Folks running FF might want to take a look at -tools - options - advanced - then open the update tab just ot make sure firefox isn't doing automatic updates.

Glad FF is up and running. Go figure on the add-ons. I picked this up at a firefox help forum. Unfortunately, FF has had it's share of issues and them some over the past year.

Folks running FF might want to take a look at -tools - options - advanced - then open the update tab just ot make sure firefox isn't doing automatic updates.

MichaelB: You don't want Firefox doing automatic updates:confused::confused::confused:??

MichaelB: You don't want Firefox doing automatic updates:confused::confused::confused:??
I don’t want anything doing automatic updates.

There is no urgency and platform stability is important. My preference is to wait at least a couple of months after general availability, user tested and patched, so I only update a couple times a year. When I do, I first create a restore point so I can back out if something goes wrong. If it’s a release or a new version that can’t be backed out, it doesn’t get installed.

Not specific to Firefox. Same with Windows, Adobe and other sw I use frequently, and I usually update most sw around the same time.

Exception, of course, to antivirus product.

Never thought of it that way, but know a few guys I used to work with years ago that did the same. Hmmm..something to definitely consider doing. Thanks for your opinion, MichaelB. I might convert to that philosophy, too.

Back
Top Bottom