AAA alternatives?

Corporate ORphan

Recycles dryer sheets
Our AAA plus membership is up JUne 1 and I'm wondering if there is something better out there. Our State Farm agent tried to add something to our car insurance last year but I told her to take it off because we had AAA.

We got the extra towing because we used to travel a lot white water kayaking. We used it a few times because our cars had a lot of miles on them and weren't always in "tip top" condition. (Chasing white water from the mid-west we put 50,000 miles on our van in one year!)

Anyone use State Farm's "AAA" service or another one that you like? I never remember to get the AAA discount and I am already a member of AARP so I can get a hotel discount using that if I think of it.

Thanks!

The USAA roadside service is excellent, in my experience. Also, I have their towing and labor endorsement on the car insurance (an extra $12 per vehicle per year). That meets my needs entirely.

A few years ago, I locked myself out of my car in downtown Denver (yeah, stupid I know). At that time I had AAA, so I called them. And called. And called. Nothing but either busy signals or interminable voice mail menus. After calling for half an hour and leaving repeated messages to call me back, I finally gave up and called USAA. They had someone there within ten minutes, and he got me on my way in five more. AAA never did call me back. That's when I said goodbye to them.

I looked at the one offered by my insurance company, Progressive, but decided to stay with AAA because we have an old RV and a few old cars, plus I like being lazy and making them find me hotels when we're on the road. I did get a discount on our SeaTow membership for the boat as a result of the AAA membership.

I have State Farm auto insurance. State Farm offers reimbursement for emergency road service. The trouble with that is that virtually all the wrecker services around here demand cash (no credit cards).

On the other hand I can call AAA and the wrecker they dispatch will tow at no charge. I think they will tow 3 miles for the basic service and 99 miles if you have the enhanced service. I have the enhanced service because the 3 mile tow is not worth much around here.

You big city people might want to consider that when you have a breakdown, you may be in cash only zone and it will be a long way to where your car can be repaired.

Personally, I don't call AAA for a dead battery at home.

I have State Farm auto insurance. State Farm offers reimbursement for emergency road service. The trouble with that is that virtually all the wrecker services around here demand cash (no credit cards).

On the other hand I can call AAA and the wrecker they dispatch will tow at no charge. I think they will tow 3 miles for the basic service and 99 miles if you have the enhanced service. I have the enhanced service because the 3 mile tow is not worth much around here.

You big city people might want to consider that when you have a breakdown, you may be in cash only zone and it will be a long way to where your car can be repaired.

THanks for the info. I remember now that's what State Farm offered. To me, it's worth the $100 or so to have a service that we can call in an unknown area that at least has the backing of AAA and will tow us about 100 miles instead of the 3 miles to the next AAA service center.

Our fuel pump went out on I-70 coming back from CO one time. We literally coasted down the exit ramp to a service station to use their phone to call AAA. Ended up in a small town where they had sold the last fuel pump for a Ford van just that day. (We think it was the gas and the heat wave not the fuel pump, but that is another story.) Bottom line it has saved us a lot of headaches in the past having it. State Farm sounds like a hassle, especially if the tow trucks want cash up front not a credit card.

This has been discussed before and one option is to self insure and use Bing 411 to find a tow truck when you need one. It is sort of like a yellow pages for a cell phone

GOOG-411 Winds Down, Bing-411 Parties On

I had never heard of Bing-411 before. It sounds like it's a good idea but they will start sending you text messages? What's that about? Can you really turn them off? I have a pre-paid phone now so every minute counts!

Use AAA but found them more useful for discounted movie tickets and hotel savings since we have not had a breakdown. Also gotten maps from them.

The USAA roadside service is excellent, in my experience. Also, I have their towing and labor endorsement on the car insurance (an extra $12 per vehicle per year). That meets my needs entirely.

A few years ago, I locked myself out of my car in downtown Denver (yeah, stupid I know). At that time I had AAA, so I called them. And called. And called. Nothing but either busy signals or interminable voice mail menus. After calling for half an hour and leaving repeated messages to call me back, I finally gave up and called USAA. They had someone there within ten minutes, and he got me on my way in five more. AAA never did call me back. That's when I said goodbye to them.

Very useful information. I will have to check into USAA. I have two older cars (a 2001 and a 2006) and keep AAA for the roadside service option. I did not know that they afforded a viable option for the roadside thing (my big worry). I use USAA for all of my insurances and also some limited investment holdings. I have been very satisfied with their customer service.

I had never heard of Bing-411 before. It sounds like it's a good idea but they will start sending you text messages? What's that about? Can you really turn them off? I have a pre-paid phone now so every minute counts!

I used to use Google 411 with my prepaid cell phone and never had any issues. I have only used Bing 411 a few times, but have never received any texts or other communications from them. I think it is a great resource and it is free.

Anyone else have any issues with them? :confused:

Use AAA but found them more useful for discounted movie tickets and hotel savings since we have not had a breakdown. Also gotten maps from them.
I like AAA's motel finder on their web site because it has many local mom and pop motels not associated with any major chain and these motels are often rated by AAA

If you spend enough time on the road, eventually you WILL have a breakdown.

For years I travelled the heart of flyover country for Megacorp. I used my personal car and Megacorp reimbursed mileage. Megacorp's policy was that if you had a breakdown while driving your personal car on Megacorp business, don't call Megacorp and don't miss your next appointment.:)

We have AAA now, but for awhile had a service through AARP which was similar. We have used both with no problem.

This thread has been silent for a while. Any updates?

I ask because my roadside service that came 'free' with my new Toyota expires in a few weeks. AAA is $60 a year in my area for their very basic limited service (5 mile tow). The better service is $99 (100 mile tow)

My main interest is roadside services - towing, flat tire change, jump start etc. I can skip the free maps, tour books and travel agents.

I do not with to buy the service through my auto insurance. I have heard that use of the service may result in higher premiums.

Any good and cheaper alternatives?

+1

Former AAA member here who has used the endorsement on USAA policy for years now with great satisfaction. The old TripTiks were a AAA selling point for me back in the day but no longer needed with so many travel apps.

We had AAA for many years for the RV coverage. Last year they quietly put a $500 cap on any tow event, which could easily be exceeded towing the 5th wheel and our truck out of the mountains where we camp.
We switched to Good Sam Roadside Assistance and got the platinum complete package for less money.
I won't try and describe the benefits here, just go to this link and you get the idea. The biggest one was medical assistance and getting your RV home if you have a medical issue.
https://www.goodsamroadside.com/findaplan/platinumcomplete.cfm

+1

Former AAA member here who has used the endorsement on USAA policy for years now with great satisfaction. The old TripTiks were a AAA selling point for me back in the day but no longer needed with so many travel apps.

TripTiks were great (along with "free" paper maps) but I have Waze and Apple Maps and USAA is a buck a month. I locked myself out of my truck a few years ago going to a ball game and just left the keys in it till the end of the game. I bought an ice cream cone at the top of the 8th inning and then used the USAA app to request lock out service figuring they'd get there when the game was over. I had to leave the stadium before the game ended and was in my truck before I finished my ice cream cone and before the inning ended! Urban area off of a major artery but still very impressive.

I have road service as part of my Amica auto coverage and it is something like $10 a year. For that I get a 24/7 800 number to call and up to $100 reimbursement. I figure that when I travel, the same person is going to respond whether they are dispatched by AAA or Amica. And if it costs more than $100, so be it, I can easily afford it. My mantra is to not insure against losses that I can easily sustain. The whole idea is to have someone to call, which, pre cell phones with internet capability, was a big worry.

I've never figured out what AAA is? Insurance agency? Travel Agency? Auto club?

They try to be everything to everybody.

And you can always Google what features you really need and book'em separately.

Last edited:
I have road service as part of my Amica auto coverage and it is something like $10 a year. For that I get a 24/7 800 number to call and up to $100 reimbursement. I figure that when I travel, the same person is going to respond whether they are dispatched by AAA or Amica. And if it costs more than $100, so be it, I can easily afford it. My mantra is to not insure against losses that I can easily sustain. The whole idea is to have someone to call, which, pre cell phones with internet capability, was a big worry.

I think you have it right. We dropped AAA years ago seeing the various services were of little value when you have smart phones and travel apps.

My main interest is roadside services - towing, flat tire change, jump start etc. I can skip the free maps, tour books and travel agents.

I do not with to buy the service through my auto insurance. I have heard that use of the service may result in higher premiums.

Any good and cheaper alternatives?

We've had Good Sam when we had the RV. We've had AAA. I like 1-800-PEP-BOYS best. We had numerous tows of the RV with Good Sam, and one car tow with AAA. Two out of the three times we used Pep Boys for the car, they didn't even charge us for the tow.

https://www.pepboys.com/towing-service

Perhaps excessive overuse of it, but I am very skeptical about a penalty for the very rare occurrences that are most likely.

AAA has become more and more an insurance agency and financial service provider. I’ll point out that our entire nation has become world financiers, with many businesses straying far from their initial intent. Think McDonald’s is in the hamburger business? Nope. McDonald’s is in the real estate business.

Back to AAA:

Besides maps and roadside service, they also also provide:
Currency exchange prior to travel. Euros and Canadian take 1-2 days, other currency takes longer. More reliable and cheaper than our local bank.
Free notary services on a drop in basis.
Free passport photos.
A small shop with everything from luggage (expensive) to RFID credit card and passport covers and international adaptors.
Full service travel agency. The travel agent we worked with was particularly helpful arranging airport/cruise ship/train station transfers and in/between day hotel stays.

They sponsor themed cruises and other travel tours.

I stopped with the auto club years ago. Premiums increasing, restrictions increasing. Used them once or twice in 30 years.

So it has been 12-15 years. Figured I have saved $1200 plus towards self insurance.

Best auto club I carry is a pair of extended booster cables in both of our vehicles. Only used them once....in our own garage at home. Plus, we keep our vehicles properly serviced.

Every time we have gone to the auto club for a quote on vehicle or home insurance their quotes have been substantially higher than any other vendor. Their carrier tack on fees must be high.

Just got tired of the constant emails and snail mails for their various products.
Seems to me they have moved from a member centric organization to a direct mail flogger of luggage, insurance services, travel...you name it. I choked last time I tried them for FX services. Incredibly high exchange rates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom