100% of Americans Will Be Obese or Overweight by 2048

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
At least if current trends persist.:)

This bit from a talk by a Swedish physician named Andreas Eenfeldt. Very interesting talk, very well presented, about one hour long.

The Food Revolution - AHS 2011 - YouTube

If you watch to the end, it is funny to watch all the questioners who are in fact not asking questions, but trying to advance their own agendas and pet ideas. Dr Lustig, the fructose man, suggests that it is sugar and fructose, not carbs per se that cause obesity and medical problems.

But if anyone listened to the presentation, it is clear that while cutting out sugar and other fructose sources is a big health giving step, it is only a partial step.

There is something about Americans, or perhaps about humans, that makes us very impractical. We may know that something will will work and that it appears safe, but then before we do it we want to know if it is the only thing!

Take a look at Dr. Eenfeldt, at Gary taubes, or at almost anyone who has been fully on this diet for several years. In spite of having full time demanding jobs that keep them from living in the gym, they always look good.

Ha

Last edited:
There is something about Americans, or perhaps about humans, that makes us very impractical. We may know that something will will work and that it appears safe, but then before we do it we want to know if it is the only thing!

Ha
Doesn't surprise me at all, someone else observed same long ago...Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." Winston Churchill

No, no, no, no, no

Each generation is scheduled by the actuaries to live longer that the one before. Can't see how if 100% are in the "obese" zone.

No, no, no, no, no

Each generation is scheduled by the actuaries to live longer that the one before. Can't see how if 100% are in the "obese" zone.
Is this what is known as teleology?

Ha

If you watch to the end, it is funny to watch all the questioners who are in fact not asking questions, but trying to advance their own agendas and pet ideas. Dr Lustig, the fructose man, suggests that it is sugar and fructose, not carbs per se that cause obesity and medical problems.
That is very frustrating for presenters, but he dealt with it well ... thank you, next question please.

But if anyone listened to the presentation, it is clear that while cutting out sugar and other fructose sources is a big health giving step, it is only a partial step.
Ha
Right.

That was a good presentation. Thanks for posting the link.

100% will be fat by 2048. Really? Not fat now. Will be well into my 90s then. I'll worry about this tomorrow.

I believe that is a statistical impossibility. No exercise, food or health nuts will avoid this? No people that are naturally thin will have survived? Doubtful. Pure hyperbole.

This bit from a talk by a Swedish physician named Andreas Eenfeldt. Very interesting talk, very well presented, about one hour long.
Andreas has some great ideas, and most of his questions (LCHF and Paleo differences) are along the same lines as I've been pondering for a while. Paleo's emphasis on real food is what I love about it, but I'm still mostly a LCHF guy rather than a caveman.

Thanks for posting the link to the vid - I began to think we would never see it because of the problems he was having putting it together.

As for Bobby Lustig - Your comments had me thinking about the carb vs sugar question the whole time while I listening to Andreas' talk, and I came to the same conclusion he did, "I don't know". Lustig's remarks about fiber were confusing, and I can't argue with Eenfeldt's response. I track fiber, don't think I get as much as I would like, but my primary concern at the moment is still the carbs and that battle comes first.

It would be nice to see what fiber filled foods Lustig thinks are right, because there are a lot of them out there that wreak havoc with the BG of diabetics.

The Atkins cookie comments were hilarious. In the last couple of months I have been trying out a lot of options for adding a little sweetness in my nutritional intake, and I found myself reading the label on those cookies and thinking the Atkins people had sold out.

Edit: Back to Lustig and the carbs vs sugar question. I should add to my original comment of "I don't know", the follow-up question: "Does it really matter?" I don't pay attention to sugar, just the carbs. If you get the carbs right won't the sugar be a solved issue?

Last edited:
I believe that is a statistical impossibility. No exercise, food or health nuts will avoid this? No people that are naturally thin will have survived? Doubtful. Pure hyperbole.
Of course it is impossible, amoung other reasons because before we got there the country would likely collapse.

But this does have a purpose, to indicate what the trend is. People usually will not act until disaster is upon them. If you think our medical system is stressed now, wait until the 60% currently obese or overweight have had time to develop some of their related diseases.

Ha

When I used to work for National Geographic we had a visiting lecturer who proved mathematically that by the year 2000 (I think) the accumulated collections of Nat Geo magazines would cause the continent to sink. I like numbers.

Andreas has some great ideas, and most of his questions (LCHF and Paleo differences) are along the same lines as I've been pondering for a while. Paleo's emphasis on real food is what I love about it, but I'm still mostly a LCHF guy rather than a caveman.
To me there is a lot of religion in the paleo club. It seems odd to base an eating plan on what you think humans might have eaten 35,000 years ago. Like who really knows anyway? Maybe, in fact likely, a good place to start testing. But experiments and observation of oneself should be the final test.

As to low carb, there is a lot of pure commercial hype and junk selling there. I agree 100% with you that one must use only real food, not some bs product like Dreamfields pasta, or some concoction made by a food factory.

Ha

100% will be fat by 2048. Really? Not fat now. Will be well into my 90s then. I'll worry about this tomorrow.
Just be sure to check your butt in the mirror every day. These things can really creep up on a person. :)

Ha

Every time I take the kids to Cici's, I notice that there are generally 3 types of customers:

1-People like me with multiple kids
2-Old people on a "fixed" income
3-Morbidly obese people with numerous plates with 6-7 slices on each one

The common denominator is that the food is cheap, plentiful, and ready for you upon arrival.

Every time I take the kids to Cici's, I notice that there are generally 3 types of customers:

The common denominator is that the food is cheap, plentiful, and ready for you upon arrival.
And sometimes, a customer is all of the above.

Ha

You'd think someone planning to eat that much food would come up with the extra couple of bucks for a higher quality buffet. Cici's is the only pizza I refuse to eat.

Thanks for posting this wonderful lecture.

I believe that real food in reasonable quantities is the key to health & staying slim. Traditionally, Indians (as well as Chinese) have been slim with a relatively high carb intake. However, meal sizes were small with large servings of lentils & vegetables and deserts (sweets) limited to a few festivals a year. He mentions this in passing, but didn't really address it.

I try to include whole grains, veggies & lentils to my diet with some meat & fish, limit portion size and don't skimp on fats. We also cook most of our meals from scratch. So far, it is working.

Back
Top Bottom