Electronics Guys - name this connector type

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I got an RC car for Christmas, but it has an intermittent connection where the battery plugs into the unit. The connector is very similar to the ones used with these Chinese LED panels in the picture below.

My question, is what are they called and better yet, where can I buy a set?

Thanks.

Attachments

• LED Light.jpg
    LED Light.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 202
Don't know where you might buy DC power connectors like that (maybe Radio Shack?) but all you probably need to do is touch them with a soldering iron.

Try digi key or, Mouser. Don't know name or type. Similar to old pc/xt speaker connector.

Don't know where you might buy DC power connectors like that (maybe Radio Shack?) but all you probably need to do is touch them with a soldering iron.

Radio shack couldn't help.

What do you mean by "touch"?

I think the brand name of the creators of those type of connectors is Molex. Maybe Google with that.

HTH,
Mike D.

Radio shack couldn't help.

What do you mean by "touch"?

The most likely cause of an intermittent connection in a cheap plug like that is a bad solder joint. A fine-pointed soldering iron (like a common Weller temperature-controlled solder station) should be able to reach in to where the wire connects to the plug pin. Perhaps a tiny drop of rosin-core solder might be needed, but it's quite possible that just heating the pin could make the existing solder flow enough to reestablish a good connection.

If you don't already have a decent fine tip soldering iron, disregard my remarks, since you're likely to just melt the plug.

MikeD is correct; those are Molex type plugs, and there are a zillion types.

Radio Shack is becoming more and more useless. They told me they are not stocking plugs as much if at all. Suggest I go to website. If you go to the web might as well get the best deal you can. Also you could have a broken wire at the connector.

Similar to old pc/xt speaker connector.
Yes, it does look like the common 0.1" spacing connector. Molex is the most popular brand, but there are many look-alikes that will also work. I am sure Digikey would have it. Just checked, and their Web site said "no minimum order, no service charge". The problem is wading through thousands of connectors to find the one you need.

If you have a local hobbyist store that sells RC toys, they may have it. That same connector was used in some RC toys my son had.

PS. The contacts are of the crimp type, and you would need a special tool for that. Lacking that, one can crimp with a needle nose plier, and touch it with a bit of solder, as the wire would not be held correctly without the right crimp tool.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I should just order the cheap Chinese LED light off eBay for $2 and cut off the connectors.

I will try hitting it with a small soldering iron, though - hadn't though of that.

Or you can just cut off those connectors and replace them with some others.

From the picture, it appears that the original one is a male 2-position connector, and it is not keyed at all. While I have seen some like that, that is very poor because the user may mate the male and female ends in the wrong polarity and blow things up.

If it is at all possible to replace both ends like T-Al mentioned, then you can go to eBay and search for "JST 2 pin connector". I now remember that this is a keyed connector most popular with RC hobbyists. You can get both ends in pigtails that are already crimped. They are cheap.

PS. Here, I made it spoon-fed for ya: JST Connectors

Last edited:
The most likely cause of an intermittent connection in a cheap plug like that is a bad solder joint.

No solder is used on these types of connectors. It's a crimp to the wire.

MikeD is correct; those are Molex type plugs, and there are a zillion types.

It's not Molex. It's a Berg connector

MOLEX is on the right, BERG is on the left

images

Last edited:
Or you can just cut off those connectors and replace them with some others.

Right, I thought of that, but couldn't find any as compact. It stuffs into a small space.

Maybe you could replace them with on of these, plus some tape:

220px-Kabelschuh_verschiedene_commons.jpg

And of course, the redneck solution:
TwistedWires.jpg

That's a 2 position berg connector.

Thanks, this was bugging me. That connector is super-familiar to me, seen thousands of 'em, but I couldn't recall the name. Those should fit on 'Berg Stakes' (those little programming pins you see) on a PC board also.

-ERD50

Thanks, this was bugging me. That connector is super-familiar to me, seen thousands of 'em, but I couldn't recall the name. Those should fit on 'Berg Stakes' (those little programming pins you see) on a PC board also.

-ERD50

Yes. you use Berg Jumpers on the stakes. They are mainly used to provision a universal mother board for a specific application or options.

Back
Top Bottom