Electric Bike---my urban wheels

Frugalityisthenewblack

Recycles dryer sheets
I got it on sale (less than 1,000$) It has a 30 mile range on one charge and goes 20/hr top speed. And you don't have to pay vehicle insurance as it is rated as a bike. I can go grocery shopping and use the basket. It's easy to find a parking spot downtown too! (and parking for bikes is free).
When I do retire I will get rid of my car. The amount on car maintenance and insurance pays for a lot of taxi rides.
monaco-3.jpg

Last edited:
Watch out for drivers that will not acknowledge your existence on the roadway, and make sure you always wear a helmet!!

Nice pair of wheels!

How long does it take for a charge up?

Looks like a great ride. What is the brand name and where did you buy it? Do/can you ride in the bike lane with it?

I have a friend whose visiting Canada for a while and she can also drive it legally even though she doesn't have a driver's license.

How hard is it to pedal? Seems like it would be pretty heavy and therefore hard to pedal. Or do you just use the engine most of the time?

I pedal it to assist the motor uphill. I use the motor on flat terrain. It's easy to pedal; but because it is much heavier than a regular bike you wouldn't want to have to go far. But if your battery died you can move it with only pedal-power. Slowly.

The wife and I have electric bikes that actually look like bicycles, not a scooter.

We like them, a good mix between exercise and having assistance for big hills.

Hard to make an excuse to not bike when some of the work is done for you.

The wife and I have electric bikes that actually look like bicycles, not a scooter.

We like them, a good mix between exercise and having assistance for big hills.

Hard to make an excuse to not bike when some of the work is done for you.

Dw and I had a couple of these type bikes when we were RVing. They were called mopeds.

I converted our tandem to electric assist. The power pack we designed was a 56 volt lithium Ion battery pack capable of range of 60 miles with pedal assist. Makes riding up hills as if you were riding flat road. You become very aware of energy usage when riding with assist. I think it cost us 20 cents per month to ride (400 miles/month). Second most cost efficient way to get around, regular bicycle being the most efficient.

Lots of information on electric bikes. Endless-sphere.com • Index page

Really? I always pictured Mopeds more scooter like, like the picture the OP posted, as opposed to a bicycle, like this:
electric bicycle - Google Search

The "mopeds" we had were more like a bicycle, with 20" wheels (?). This was back in 1982 so I don't remember much about them. I went back to the internet for some info and figured that ours were more of the 50cc type. I know you had to pedal it to get it started. They were not very heavy as I could easily pick one up and put it on a hanger for transporting on the back of the RV. I'd say they were 1978 vintage.

Last edited:
My ex-BIL had an electric assist hub on his bike. IIRC he replaced the front hub wiht a hub that had an electric motor and plugged into a rechargeable battery. The hub was helpful going uphill and otherwise he pedaled as normal. He used to to commute to work about 10 miles everyday.

Back
Top Bottom