Poll: How happy are you in your ER stage?

Poll: How happy are you in your ER stage?

• 0-2 years into ER, happier than expected

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • 3-5 years into ER, happier than expected

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • 6+ years into ER, happier than expected

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • 0-2 years into ER, neither happier nor less happy than expected

Votes: 42 25.6%
  • 3-5 years into ER, neither happier nor less happy than expected

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • 6+ years into ER, neither happier nor less happy than expected

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • 0-2 years into ER, less happy than expected

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • 3-5 years into ER, less happy than expected

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 6+ years into ER, less happy than expected

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Focus

Full time employment: Posting here.
This poll is spun off from my previous thread. To recap, in the book "The Retirement Maze" there's a chapter on early retirement in which they compared retirees between 45 and 59 to those who retired around 65.

The authors found that early retirees start off well, with "a positive mind-set" and "excited about the prospect of pursuing new interests."

But, they say, things tended to go south after two years for early retirees, who "become disenchanted, showing less and less enjoyment as they progress deeper into their retirement." 74% of early retirees are happy in their first two years, but only 54% are after six or more years. They point to changes in marriage dynamics, lack of social connectedness, and a declining interest in activities.

The researchers found the numbers were pulled down by unhappy retirees :( -- i.e., those who retired early involuntarily and those who defined themselves by their job role. I suspect many here likely fall into the happy category :dance:. This poll will help clarify.

Last edited:
Good intro! Needs a poll tho'

(I'm ready to vote).

-- Rita

In my opinion, having realistic expectations is the key. If you suddenly expect all of your problems to go away after ER, you are setting yourself up.

I knew I would be happy, but I didn't know I would be THIS happy. :) With a booming market, few hurricanes, relatively good health, and so much fun to be had, life is pretty good. Retirement just seems better and better to me, the longer I am retired.

Retired only a few months and happier than I expected. I enjoy not being on a schedule and not feeling overwhelmed with assignments (office had become very short staffed and duties were increased with no paid overtime permitted and as a union employee I could not take compensatory time). I understand from former co-workers it has only gotten worse and they are chomping at the bit to retire or move to other units asap.

:dance: :dance: :D :greetings10: ;) :cool:

ER Jan 1993, age 49 1/2 via lay-off.

A little chewy at first until I let go of my 'unemployed slacker personna' and embraced this forum/the concept of ER.

A few bumps - overly aggressive on frugal early on, Katrina wiped out the no flood insurance camp(house over water), girlfriend of 29 yrs passed away, and of course Mr Markets thrills and chills.

Relocated 1000 miles inland on a hill.

Married at age 70 and relocated to Paradise - Kansas City.

heh heh heh - new wife may have altered my attitude a tad. :cool:

I am in my 5th year of ER and I am still enjoying it very much. For me, ER is the ultimate luxury, one I hope I can continue to afford 'til my last breath.

I knew I would be happy, but I didn't know I would be THIS happy. :) With a booming market, few hurricanes, relatively good health, and so much fun to be had, life is pretty good. Retirement just seems better and better to me, the longer I am retired.
+1000 Who knew goofing off could be this much fun!

This Friday will mark my 6th year of ER and it has been just as good as I expected it will be. I was working only 2 days a week at the time so it wasn't a big change from that. But going from 2 days a week to zero days a week was a wonderful thing and remains that way! )

I'm in the 0-2 years, about what I expected, category.

I expected to enjoy free time and lack of office bs... And that's been true. It's all good. But I expected it to be all good.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I'm a little bit happier than I thought I'd be but not significantly so.

Finishing my 7th month of retirement now, so far zero downside. Having been in the work mode for so long, and for the most part finding my work enjoyable, thought I might have some misgivings about feeling left out of what was happening. None of that at all, just feelings of relief that I am out of that particular race. Occasionally I have some ideas I want to tell them about, but then my better judgement kicks in and I realize: what if they really asked me to do it? Enjoying my freedom and looking forward to my new non-remunerative projects.

In my travels about town (walking, always walking, because I now have the time to do so), a stupid grin is always threatening to bust out on my face. Seriously, this morning as I sweated it out at the gym, a joyous smile came out of nowhere - accompanied by the thought "This is way better than work!"... and yes, my job was pretty awful.

In my interactions with people, especially those of my own age, I consciously down play how great ER is. But on this site in particular, I really hold nothing back. ER is SPECTACULAR (so far, and its early). :)

Retired only a few months and happier than I expected. I enjoy not being on a schedule and not feeling overwhelmed with assignments (office had become very short staffed and duties were increased with no paid overtime permitted and as a union employee I could not take compensatory time). I understand from former co-workers it has only gotten worse and they are chomping at the bit to retire or move to other units asap.

Same here. Ten months into a last minute, rushed ER (it was a couple of years ahead of my plans). Things were a little rocky the first few months, because I thought I had ER'd too early and my departure wasn't in accordance with my original plans.

But, I can say unequivocally that this is one of the BEST things that's ever happen to me! No stress, traffic, deadlines and all of the other problems associated with work. The only time I worry is when I have nightmares about being back at work. Luckily I wake up, hit the gym and jacuzzi, come back home for breakfast and then begin to enjoy another beautiful ER day. I don't know what I did to deserve this blessing, but I sure am grateful!!!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It's wonderful, and a bit better than I expected, mostly because I thought I would get bored after a year or so and thus planned to do some significant consulting. Never got bored and so never got around to doing the marketing/networking necessary to build up the consulting practice. I did one gig last year and, while I enjoyed it, I found it took too much time away from being retired :facepalm:

Can one of the two people that voted "'less happy than expected" so far elaborate?

Curious.

Can one of the two people that voted "'less happy than expected" so far elaborate?

Curious.

I almost voted that same 0-2 years into ER, less happy than expected but did not vote at all because I am not sure my situation exactly matches the spirit of this poll: I am not ER year. So, technically, I think that makes me 0 years into my ER. But, as I said, I do not think that was what OP had in mind.

Through some good luck and frugal ways, I now have enough invested assets to give me a conservative 2.5% SWR. (Planned budget based on worst likely case tax estimates, higher than current standard of living, high health care premiums, etc.) So, I believe that I am FI. However, I am not ER, continuing to suffer from OMY syndrome.

While I am definitely more relaxed than I was a few years ago, it is not what I was expecting.

• If I try to work hard enough to justify my current salary (to myself), I am exhausted, stressed, etc.
  • When I start slacking off, even a bit, I feel like I am cheating those around me.
  • The fear of not really being FI and very low probability of ever commanding compensation anywhere close to current levels keeps me on the job.
Basically, I feel a bit like I am in limbo at the moment which is not at all what I expected for this stage: FI but doing OMY for added cushion. I expected to be enjoying this phase much more than I actually am.

Some of my fears keeping me in OMY mode and likely contributing to me being less happy than expected at this point in my life:

• Is a 2.5% SWR really that conservative given my relatively young age and good health?
  • Possibility of needing to support my mother at some point. (Eighties, lives very frugally but has no significant investments. Currently good health.)
  • Will the markets really continue to provide a real return; or, have things actually changed now?
Please note: I am not particularly unhappy; I just expected to be much happier.

I'm in the 0-2 years, about what I expected, category.

I expected to enjoy free time and lack of office bs... And that's been true. It's all good. But I expected it to be all good.

Pretty much sums it up for me, too. :cool:

I voted happier than expected, notwithstanding I had great expectations to begin with!
1 1/2 years in, and the novelty has yet to wear off.

I almost voted that same 0-2 years into ER, less happy than expected but did not vote at all because I am not sure my situation exactly matches the spirit of this poll: I am not ER year. So, technically, I think that makes me 0 years into my ER. But, as I said, I do not think that was what OP had in mind.

Through some good luck and frugal ways, I now have enough invested assets to give me a conservative 2.5% SWR. (Planned budget based on worst likely case tax estimates, higher than current standard of living, high health care premiums, etc.) So, I believe that I am FI. However, I am not ER, continuing to suffer from OMY syndrome.

While I am definitely more relaxed than I was a few years ago, it is not what I was expecting.

• If I try to work hard enough to justify my current salary (to myself), I am exhausted, stressed, etc.
  • When I start slacking off, even a bit, I feel like I am cheating those around me.
  • The fear of not really being FI and very low probability of ever commanding compensation anywhere close to current levels keeps me on the job.
Basically, I feel a bit like I am in limbo at the moment which is not at all what I expected for this stage: FI but doing OMY for added cushion. I expected to be enjoying this phase much more than I actually am.

Some of my fears keeping me in OMY mode and likely contributing to me being less happy than expected at this point in my life:

• Is a 2.5% SWR really that conservative given my relatively young age and good health?
  • Possibility of needing to support my mother at some point. (Eighties, lives very frugally but has no significant investments. Currently good health.)
  • Will the markets really continue to provide a real return; or, have things actually changed now?
Please note: I am not particularly unhappy; I just expected to be much happier.

I experienced the limbo too; it is very hard.
The OMY syndrome makes work more miserable because every day you juggle with projects and policy decisions with the strong desire to let go of all that stuff. Counting those last days was actually pretty tough for me, partly because everyone at work thought I should act delighted. Each day of OMY is emotionally worse than knowing you absolutely must work.

Now I am off 1-2 weeks at a time, I am much happier with myself as I rediscover the spontaneous person I used to be before 50-90 hr work weeks for most of 30 years gradually wore me out. I'm done at the end of the year.

Lastly, some of that money you have invested in the markets won 't be touched for 20-30 years. The markets will go up and down several times during that time. A 2.5% SWR will last a minimum of 40 years, and likely is sustainable for the rest of your life. Relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm almost six months in, thought I would be really, really happy and I am! DW agrees.

I voted happier than expected, notwithstanding I had great expectations to begin with!.......

Same here! I left the work force at 50, and have been ER for 7 years 8 months (but who's counting), and I knew life would be great when I bailed outta there, and actually it's even better than I had imagined! There has not been even one minute of boredom! I think a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that my range of interests is wide and varied, and I absolutely love to learn new things.

About the only unknown thing when I retired, was if or how my social life would change. It didn't take very long at all to adapt. Although most of my old co-workers vanished from my social circle, a few stayed in it. And now I'm helping some of them, as they are now retiring, adapt to the changes brought on by their new found freedom. My social circle has greatly expanded since ER, especially with folks in their 80s and 90s, and we all have a blast together. I love to just sit, drink coffee, and listen to their experiences and stories....I always learn something new from them.

I voted happier than expected for 0-2 year category. I expected to be happier retired than when I was working. And I have been happier. But I also expected that I would miss work somewhat, and that has not happened. And my hobbies/trips are giving me more happiness than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom