Most Important Day in your life

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The thread "do you remember when" got me thinking about what was the most important or significant day of my life, after I was born :). I thought maybe it was when I finished school or when I got married or when my 1st child was born or when I landed that perfect job or when I retired. After thinking a while it occurred to me that they were all very important/significant days in my life but an event that happened on July 1, 1970 probably affected my life or future more than any other.

That was the date the draft lottery was held to determine the order that young men of my age would be inducted into the armed forces in 1971. I remember watching the drawing on TV. I recall it was similar to the lotto drawings we see on TV today for cash prizes but the stakes (IMO) for that drawing were a lot higher. I was lucky and got a very high lotto number. That "luck of the draw" very likely kept me out of Vietnam, and who knows what.

Care to share what you feel was the most important or significant day of your life? (good or bad)

Easy. I don't know the exact date but it was probably a Saturday evening in April 1987.

This was when "Future DW" finally accepted my dating overtures.

I was dressed in a toga, she was not. The discussion took place on the front porch of her house while a party occurred within.

She cornered me and forced me to declare my intentions first. I thought she was setting me up to give me the talk about "just being friends", but happily it went the other way.

Nearly 28 years later and I believe that this was one of the most influential days on my quality of life.

-gauss

p.s. Selective Service, but no Draft, during my coming of age period

Last edited:
The thread "do you remember when" got me thinking about what was the most important or significant day of my life, after I was born :). I thought maybe it was when I finished school or when I got married or when my 1st child was born or when I landed that perfect job or when I retired. After thinking a while it occurred to me that they were all very important/significant days in my life but an event that happened on July 1, 1970 probably affected my life or future more than any other.

That was the date the draft lottery was held to determine the order that young men of my age would be inducted into the armed forces in 1971. I remember watching the drawing on TV. I recall it was similar to the lotto drawings we see on TV today for cash prizes but the stakes (IMO) for that drawing were a lot higher. I was lucky and got a very high lotto number. That "luck of the draw" very likely kept me out of Vietnam, and who knows what.

Care to share what you feel was the most important or significant day of your life? (good or bad)

Funny, a few years later my number was 6, but they suspended the draft that year.

I have had many wonderful (i.e., significant) days in my lifetime, but I am convinced the best is still to come. This year, my 52nd, has been my best year ever . . . six months of amazing travel around the US, the return to a job nearby of one of our daughters, a fabulous trip to Peru, and the birth of our first grandchild.

I'm sure I've had significant bad days as well, but I refuse to dwell. When somethings done, it's done.

I'm sure I've had significant bad days as well, but I refuse to dwell. When somethings done, it's done.
Me too, but I also put them out of my mind, so would have to think really hard in order to be able to recall them. We must be very similar in that respect. I think it's a healthy predisposition to have. I'd much rather be that way than to be one of those people who seem to never stop talking about all the bad things that have happened to them!

I think mine was the day I found out I was pregnant with our first child.

We had talked about it and planned for so long. We got it on the first try and suddenly everything changed. I felt so protective and special and nothing was ever going to be the same.

Me too, but I also put them out of my mind, so would have to think really hard in order to be able to recall them. We must be very similar in that respect. I think it's a healthy predisposition to have. I'd much rather be that way than to be one of those people who seem to never stop talking about all the bad things that have happened to them!

I think (hope) most people feel that way. I guess that's why I only listed "good or positive" things in my OP. :)

The entire space program in the 1960's. Mercury, Gemini and Apollo influenced me to be an engineer. But the moon landing sealed the deal. Watching with my grand parents who were 85 and 90 at the time (I was 14). Just amazed me the changes they had seen. Literally horse and buggy to landing on the moon.

I am sure there are others. But this was the first to come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Probably January 31, 1960 - the date of my immigration to the USA. (through Idlewild Airport)

I don't remember the exact date - but it was in 1980 - a regular night drinking beers and tequila with some buddies at the bar - until a stunning blonde walked in. We've been married since 1982.

December 1993, around a campfire on a cold night in Alabama, I proposed and she accepted. The next two wonderful days was the birth of each of my sons. That day in December began a whole new era in my life.

Easy one for me, July 1978: that’s when I got picked up from Juvenile Court by my new Foster Parents (kinda like a sad puppy being chosen from the Dog Pound). 36 years later and they are still my Mom and Dad!
:smitten:

Probably January 31, 1960 - the date of my immigration to the USA. (through Idlewild Airport)

August 29, 1997 was my immigration date to the USA and for me too it was probably the most important day of my life - so far. It changed everything.

Interesting. My husband's lottery number for the draft was 9, in 1971. Fortunately he was accepted to PennState and was able to defer. But he was already working on plan B - going into the Army Corp of Engineers in case PSU didn't accept him.

My most important date was probably the day DH proposed (using a view master reel if you can believe that!). Or perhaps a month later when he stood up to my dad's jerk-i-ness on a vacation we were all on, in Scotland. He married me despite my dad's bad behavior. :smitten:

July 30, 2001, the day I took back my life. I stopped working full-time and began working part-time, enabling me to end the misery of full-time work and begin doing things I liked to do with my newly found free time.

October 31, 2008, the day I stopped working altogether and retired. No more work, not even part-time.

Two days, the day my first son was born and the day my second son was born. I remember when we found out my wife was pregnant with each of them too, also big days.

Ha

Like others, I have led a great life. Lots of best days of my life...the usual.

But really, the best day is always today, when I wake up in good health, married with children, and free of financial encumbrances.

My most important date was probably the day DH proposed (using a view master reel if you can believe that!). Or perhaps a month later when he stood up to my dad's jerk-i-ness on a vacation we were all on, in Scotland. He married me despite my dad's bad behavior. :smitten:

Hey Rodi,
Wasn't there a pop song out about this topic?

Hmmm, I am working on the "most important" versus "best" day...

I guess the most important would be my wedding day, 21 years ago, and there have been a couple more that have vied for best: the day we arrived in Mongolia after 6 weeks of driving across Europe and Asia in our old bus, and the day about a year later that we pulled into our own driveway, after driving that bus the rest of the way around the world. Those two days will never be forgotten, as the culmination of nearly three years of planning and making it happen.

Not just a big day, but a big weekend.
Retired from the Air Force on Friday, moved 500 miles away on Saturday, got married on Sunday.

Rather a significant life event!

Happiest day: Day my son was born
Second happiest day: Day son graduated from college with a full-time job waiting for him in the wings

I don't know what the most important day was but it was the moment when I realized that I was fully capable of navigating my life successfully and independently.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom