Moving to Leesburg

Cabo

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi Folks
I really enjoyed reading your post. I am moving to Fla from Md soon ---or snow birding. I am having a hard time making up my mind on that but tired of snow and cold weather. I am a fishing guide in salt and fresh water and just turned 65 and always wanted to try living in Florida. I really don't know which town would be best for my interest of fishing but I don't like crowds and traffic that go along with tourist attractions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am thinking about renting a while before buying . I like the sound of the over 55 communities but need a garage for my boat that is on a trailer. One or two bed rooms would be adequate and low utility bills would be a plus also. I keep hearing about water restrictions in Fla and high water bills and not sure I understand that. If I posted in the wrong area or stepped on some one's thread please forgive me as the new guy!
Thanks!
Cabo

Won't most folks who need a fishing guide by the tourists ?

So that means you should live near a coast, isn't Leesburg smack in the middle of FL, meaning you will have an hour drive to the coast each way....

Many thanks for the reply. I fish for bass most of the time and the middle of Fla has more lakes than any place I have ever been. I had not planned to guide fishing parties in Fla unless I move there full time and that long drive to the coast would be a factor then. Folks keep telling me to go at least below Winterhaven to get warmer weather in Winter but Leesburg seems like a great town. I don't understand why most communities in Leesburg will not allow a boat on the trailer to be kept at the home for it looks like a fenced in lot is used. That would be a deal killer for me.

Won't most folks who need a fishing guide by the tourists ?

So that means you should live near a coast, isn't Leesburg smack in the middle of FL, meaning you will have an hour drive to the coast each way....

Don't really need to go to the coast. There are lots of small lakes to fish in. Umatilla is a popular fishing area and is about a 30 minute drive from Leesburg. Leesburg traffic can get a little busy during tourist season but if you go north east of Leesburg there are a few smaller towns with lots of lakes around to fish in. Depending on what you're used to Leesburg may not be too busy for you but you can find quieter towns. Umatilla has inexpensive housing. Here's an example:
65 Golfview Cir, Umatilla, FL 32784 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Folks keep telling me to go at least below Winterhaven to get warmer weather in Winter but Leesburg seems like a great town.

I would agree with that. Leesburg had 10 days with a morning low below 40 degrees this last winter with one of them being below freezing. That is not worse than usual. I have visited the Leesburg area for the last 3 winters and have had several mornings below 40 degrees every year. It's a whole lot better than being up north though.

The Umatilla area is nice (Weirdale - Lake Weir). Pleanty of lakes around and if you stay out of the "bigger" towns like Leesburg and Tavares and Mt Dora you may (or may not) like it better. If you stay out of the cities you will likely have your own well and septic tank which will keep your bills low (until they need attention). I used to live in Paisley which is also in Lake county and has lakes.

As for the weather, I personally wouldn't go south of there as the heat get too boring. A bit of a change of seasons is nice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom