Retire, die?! Morley Safer dead

I just heard the news a short time ago. Safer was my favorite of the Old Guard from the 1970s when I began watching the show. Yes, it's sad that he had a very short retirement. As I recall, Wallace and Bradley had none and Andy Rooney died shortly after his retirement sendoff show.

I don't know why this seems shocking to me. I guess because when 60 minutes aired his retirement news last Sunday my DH walked into the room and asked if Morley Safer died.

I'm pretty sure you don't work into your 80s expecting a long retirement.

Sad. 60 Minutes was required watching in our household when I was a kid and I watched it well into my thirties.

Don't forget Bob Simon as well. He died in a car crash at 73, without having retired.

I used to Watch 60 Minutes pretty regularly when I was younger, and I recall during my work years, that almost everyone knew what you meant when you said you hated that 60 Minutes ticking stopwatch at the beginning of the show....

I swear I'd get a knot in my stomach when I heard that sound because it reinforced that Sunday was almost over, and another week in the mine was about to commence....

The 60 Minutes tick tick tick and the Sunday night inability to get any sleep before Monday is a HUGE reason I so love being retired.....That sound lost all significance the weekend after retirement!!!

I think Safer loved what he did, or he wouldn't have stayed so long.....He couldn't have needed the money!!!!!

I watched the segment on Sunday (I loved Morley Safer; grew up with him.) Turned to my wife and said, "He must be terminal." I hate being right.

I used to Watch 60 Minutes pretty regularly when I was younger, and I recall during my work years, that almost everyone knew what you meant when you said you hated that 60 Minutes ticking stopwatch at the beginning of the show....

I swear I'd get a knot in my stomach when I heard that sound because it reinforced that Sunday was almost over, and another week in the mine was about to commence....

The 60 Minutes tick tick tick and the Sunday night inability to get any sleep before Monday is a HUGE reason I so love being retired.....That sound lost all significance the weekend after retirement!!!

I think Safer loved what he did, or he wouldn't have stayed so long.....He couldn't have needed the money!!!!!

RIP Morley Safer.
If you are permitted by management to do the work you love to do and you're good at it, ER would not be so attractive. So having a short retirement is a good thing in Morley's case. I also distinctly remember the iknot n my stomach on Sunday evening in the last two years of indenture to mega-corp. I concluded it was not a healthy situation for me to continue under those circumstances.

Didn't know he was in ill health. Thought the 60 minutes special was just that, not because of his health. RIP Morley Safer.

He never had t figure out what to do all day. RIP.

Another "journalist" who thought his opinion was more important than life itself. May he rest in peace and may his family be comforted from their loss.

This happened to just about every partner at the law firm I used to work at. I think the record was 88 years old upon retirement, died within months. Two guys in their 70s didn't make it two months. One guy in his 50s died in court.

I think only one guy lasted a year after retirement, and he was a workout freak of nature.

Ditto. It took me about a year of being retired before that ticking feeling went away; I guess I was conditioned to think that Monday was not "just another day".

Always loved the guy because he was almost an identical twin to my step-father who raised me. Every time I'd see those jowls I'd think of Dad.

I watched the segment on Sunday (I loved Morley Safer; grew up with him.) Turned to my wife and said, "He must be terminal." I hate being right.

Just heard he was in hospice care when announcing his retirement, so no surprise there.

Can't imagine what it is like to have a job you love so much you don't want to retire.

Did not watch the special.... not really interested in see what someone has done for their life's work...

Sorry to hear he died as I did like him and some of the other old guard... but I do think he stayed much longer than he should have... I do not think his stories were that great the last few years.... at least from what I can remember....

These stories of folks dying shortly after retiring makes me think this might be more exclusive to people that truly loved and were defined solely by their jobs.

Any how always enjoyed Morley and Andy, RIP.

I tape 60 Minutes and I am away from home now. I have not seen his retirement episode yet. He will be missed.

My Dad loved his job and worked until mandatory retirement at age 65. His wife (Mom) died the month that he retired. I decided that I would retire early even though I loved my job.

(I think news magazine reporters have a unique opportunity to work as long as they want. I hope their families get to enjoy them besides just on TV!)

I liked Morley. But I think it was just familiarity for me. Also another Canuck who made good SOTB.

These stories of folks dying shortly after retiring makes me think this might be more exclusive to people that truly loved and were defined solely by their jobs.

Any how always enjoyed Morley and Andy, RIP.

I guess, but Morley Safer didn't die because he retired. He retired because he was dying.

I guess, but Morley Safer didn't die because he retired. He retired because he was dying.

I haven't heard much about the exact status of his health at the time of his last episode, other than he was in decline, but it sure seems like retirement might have hastened things.

That seems pretty clear to me too. If that's what he wanted to do until his very last days, good for him. His load wasn't all that high in the last few years anyway, from what I noticed, so I don't think he was putting in 50-60 hours weeks to the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom