Looking For a Good Floor Fan

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My not so trusty Lasko 20 Inch plastic fan bit the dust so now I'm looking for a replacement.

Any recommendations?

That Lasko was good (kept me cool and cut down on the A/C) while it lasted, but only about 2 years before biting the dust.

Take a look at the high velocity stuff, all metal, no plastic and they move a lot of air w/o making a lot of noise.

Take a look at the high velocity stuff, all metal, no plastic and they move a lot of air w/o making a lot of noise.

The Lasko high velocity, all metal is first on my radar. But some reviews say it is quite loud. I suppose, loudness is in the ear of the beholder :).

I should have mentioned, the fan will be in my living room so I don't want it to drown out the TV.

On high speed it will make noise. Hey 6000 CFM is going to make some noise - :)

But on low it will move more air than one of those cheapies and be quieter.

The good thing is I do have some time to do some browsing as fall is here.

At the moment, I do have one of those drill battery type portable fans.

My wife has a premium Turbo fan.

I'm stuck with a $16 fan from Dollar General that's a throwaway. But it works.

Our new house doesn't have ceiling fans in the bedrooms--chandeliers instead. We sure miss the air movement.

I've got one of the Dyson floor fans which is nice, but my favorite is the Holmes Blizzard - plus it cost a lot less .

What about a box fan? One with a simple design can last a long time. I've had one for decades that is still going after near-daily operation totalling about 10 million minutes. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of its manufacturer.

What about a box fan? One with a simple design can last a long time. I've had one for decades that is still going after near-daily operation totalling about 10 million minutes. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of its manufacturer.

Thought about a box fan. But I do kinda like the ability to tilt the fan at an angle.

My not so trusty Lasko 20 Inch plastic fan bit the dust so now I'm looking for a replacement.

Any recommendations?

That Lasko was good (kept me cool and cut down on the A/C) while it lasted, but only about 2 years before biting the dust.

We have four of those Lasko 20in fans ranging from 2-6 yrs old. No problems and we leave them out on the deck all summer. I try to keep them sheltered from rain but they still get wet and blasted by the sun. I'll buy another if I get a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Bought a Lasko U12100 used while down south. Was so impressed we bought a larger Lasko 4905 when we got north. Compact little boxes that tilt up or down and move a bunch of air with much less noise than other fans we've had.

Lasko Pro-Performance High Velocity Pivoting Blower Fan-4905 - The Home Depot $79, we bought new on sale for $55?

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/19861415?limit=20&page=2&sort=relevancy $10 used from a yard sale - think I actually like this better - it moves plenty of air and takes up less space.

Both have 8'-10' heavy cords and a pair of electric outlets on the fan so you can daisy chain or have power by the fan. Me buying a second new model speaks volumes.

Bought a Lasko U12100 used while down south. Was so impressed we bought a larger Lasko 4905 when we got north. Compact little boxes that tilt up or down and move a bunch of air with much less noise than other fans we've had.

Lasko Pro-Performance High Velocity Pivoting Blower Fan-4905 - The Home Depot $79, we bought new on sale for $55?

https://www.walmart.com/reviews/product/19861415?limit=20&page=2&sort=relevancy $10 used from a yard sale - think I actually like this better - it moves plenty of air and takes up less space.

Both have 8'-10' heavy cords and a pair of electric outlets on the fan so you can daisy chain or have power by the fan. Me buying a second new model speaks volumes.

Very interesting. I'll have to look at these pivoting type fans. Never seen one of these before in use.

After a couple of sleepless nights (not from sweating and too hot, but from researching on fans :)), I finally decided to get another [-]cheap[/-] plastic floor fan.

I really liked the Lasko fan that died on me. But wasn't ready to buy the same model but got an upgrade version with a remote. Hopefully, I'll have better luck this time.

I really liked the metal high velocity Lasko, but I just think that'll be too loud. I'd need a bigger place to match the fan :LOL:.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Last edited:

It's funny this should come up. DW and I were in a large antique store last weekend, it had no AC. The had some Lasko fans similar to those, and I remarked to her how quiet they were for the amount of air they moved, and she had been thinking the same thing. I think the "squirrel cage" style centrifugal blower tends to be less noisy that the propeller-blade style fan.

I use a cheap plastic box fan for the noise it offers - a pleasant hum. Preferable to barking dogs, leaf blowers etc..... On warm days the breeze is a plus.

we have three Lasko Cyclones (plastic) that work really great, and are very light to move around also.

we have three Lasko Cyclones (plastic) that work really great, and are very light to move around also.

I did some inspecting on the Lasko Cyclone I had which broke. Looks like a wire to the switch broke off and from what I saw, couldn't be reconnected. On youtube, I saw where another person too said that fan is nice but only lasted about 2 years then died. Other than that, I really like the fan's airflow. Keeps me cool, but not too much noise.

So, this time around, I'm hoping with a different kind of switch, the fan will last longer. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom