real maple syrup taste test

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
so i grew up with the fake maple syrup with my waffles and pancakes. during Easter dinner i declared that im going to break out my wallet and buy the light facy, grade a amber, and grade a dark. after all i am financially independent(at least for maple syrup). i wanted to see what i was missing out on all these years, mind you my parents were/are depression era teens they knew how to stretch a buck. on tuesday i get a knock on the door from a food delivery company, my nephew sent us 3 bottles of maple syrup the 3 types listed above belgium waffles from belgium, and some aunt jemimas pancakes and waffles, i broke out all 3 types, we tried them without the waffles, all 3 tasted a bit different, the dark was the most intense, however once we put them on the waffles couldnt tell them apart, then we tried the fake syrup its wayyyy sweeter, . long story short the waffles from belgium hands down winner, any of the 3 maple syrup was better than the fake sugar water food coloring i grew up with, the real syrup cost about 10 times as much, but we arent talking big bucks here, if i had to chose just 1 id say the grade a amber my favorite, took me 55 years to get to this point of getting better stuff but im not in the accumulation stage anymore

Grew up on Log Cabin, Mrs. Butterworth, and various cheapo substitutes. Rarely eat pancakes/waffles, but use maple syrup exclusively.

A few years back, I think it was at Trader Joe's, they had a sample pack of the various grades. I liked the darkest grade, the most flavor.

Looking at the linked article, it must have been the old "grade B", which is now "Grade A: Dark Color with Robust Taste".

Looking at what we have in the fridge, it says "Grade A : Dark Amber" - so is that between 'amber' and 'dark'?

It's not like we use lots of it, we might have pancakes or waffles only 1-2 x a month, so I don't mind paying relatively big bucks for something that is better and an occasional thing.

-ERD50

I don't use much syrup but I only buy maple anymore. Usually store brand which is only ok. We ordered some fancy brand and it was great but my favorite is Cracker Barrel which used to be 100% maple but they changed the recipe and I still like it. When I'm out they give me two of the tiny bottles and I only use 1/2 bottle and bring the rest home. I like preserves or honey too. I remember growing up we used molasses or Karo (corn?) syrup because it was a regular pantry item.

Gotta have the real stuff. Life's too short, and besides, I find that it takes much less real maple syrup than the fake stuff.

Thanks, for the link to the new grading scheme. That explains my recent confusion when shopping.

yes

Gotta have the real stuff. Life's too short, and besides, I find that it takes much less real maple syrup than the fake stuff.

Thanks, for the link to the new grading scheme. That explains my recent confusion when shopping.

we agree, we did use less, i forgot to mention that

I have the real stuff every morning on oatmeal. It is from a local guy near us, he sells it at regional fairs, etc. It does taste better than the fake stuff, but if I find myself at IHOP I'll use the fake and still enjoy the meal.

Ever notice what one official "serving" is? 60ml, about 2 fluid ounces. A smallish 12 oz bottle of syrup has just 6 servings. That bottle lasts me about 3 months, or about 80-90 servings. Even on a stack of pancakes, I couldn't dump a quarter cup of syrup ( real or fake) on em.
The official servings of some things are like the amount of toothpaste they show being used on TV commercials.

Last edited:
Maple syrup bush all around. Maple leaf is the national symbol. High fructose corn syrup pancake topping.... I don't think so. This time of year there are all kinds of guys in cool black hats sitting on the corners selling the amber nectar.

Funny story is that when we were overseas we sometimes gave maple syrup in maple leaf shaped bottles as gifts to people. Not infrequently, the locals thought we were gifting them brandy which was somewhat frowned upon. Brandy that is, not gifting.

Always have true home made maple syrup.

Mid Jan to mid Feb go out with battery drill, drill holes in front suburban yard sugar maples, pound in stile, hang bucket, and set up turkey cooker on back patio. Keep collecting and boiling. Finish on kitchen stove. Some years only make half gallon, best was two gallons of syrup.

I don't apply any labels to what grade or color, it is what it is and we enjoy.

Real maple syrup is one of my weaknesses. A few months ago I found 2 one gallon jugs on the clearance rack at Home Goods for $35 each. Bought both, lol.

Only real maple syrup for me. Partial to the Amber but enjoy them all. I used to carry a small bottle in the car as DGF would not eat the corn syrup stuff if we went out for breakfast. Amazing most places don't have it on hand to up sell.
Always have to have a bottle of maple flavored pancake syrup for on hand for DD #2 as she won't eat the real stuff. No accounting for taste.
If you get a chance, try maple sugar cotton candy.

Also, drizzle a little Vermont maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.... Yum!!

Almost as good as sugar-on-snow... but a lot easier.

Years ago, I worked with a lady from Vermont, who very generously brought in quite a lot of genuine maple syrup for the rest of us to take home.

I found it rather tasteless and was a tad disappointed. Heresy, I know, but that's how it was.

We buy maple syrup from Costco. I think it's a Kirkland brand, but I'm not sure.

I could never use the fake stuff, even though that is what I grew up with. My kids, on the other hand, don't know what they missed.

Maple syrup sounds wonderful. Pancakes are pretty rare here - regular (Hah!) oatmeal eater. Memories of my childhood though, when Mom would stick some brown sugar in boiling water to pass as syrup for the pancakes. Nothing like pancakes drowned in sweet brownish hot water, right?

My folks were frugal till death. Log Cabin was all we had, 2% real maple syrup. No way were they spending for maple.

Not me, 100% maple was all I ever bought. I even pack a pint when travelling as I won't do the cheap crap they give you at the hotel.

im slowly spending the kids inheritance eon goodies

My folks were frugal till death. Log Cabin was all we had, 2% real maple syrup. No way were they spending for maple.

Not me, 100% maple was all I ever bought. I even pack a pint when travelling as I won't do the cheap crap they give you at the hotel.

as i discover new things i denied myself all these years we get them, my nephew bought these but its now in my budget

As David Brennan used to say, 'We drink the artificial lemon drink and put the real lemon oil on our furniture'. Grade B or Dark Amber,past, present and forever!

What can you eat with maple syrup besides ice cream, pancake, and French toast. I eat ice cream occasionally but not the other two, except when I'm in Las Vegas.

Last edited:
We used to make our own maple syrup when I was a kid. I had to switch to the fake stuff when I was a poor college student, but it's been 100% maple for me since I started getting a real paycheck. I don't eat it often, I'm more of an oatmeal with bananas eater.

DH, on the other hand, prefers the fake stuff. He has pancakes about once a week with that sugary fake syrup.

What can you eat with maple syrup besides ice cream and pancake and French toast. I eat ice cream occasionally but not the other two, except when I'm in Las Vegas.

We have it on fried eggs a couple of times a week for breakfast.
That might be a Quebecois thing.

What can you eat with maple syrup besides ice cream and pancake and French toast. I eat ice cream occasionally but not the other two, except when I'm in Las Vegas.
Really? There are thousands of uses. Maple syrup goes with just about everything. Especially bacon!

Back
Top Bottom