Control Burn over Texas

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have so much smoke the last few days the state is doing control burns . Kind of cool Helocopters come down low then drop some type of flammables out and whoosh a small fire .
They say this will prevent forest fires , they told me look for a dry summer

We have so much smoke the last few days the state is doing control burns . Kind of cool Helocopters come down low then drop some type of flammables out and whoosh a small fire .
They say this will prevent forest fires , they told me look for a dry summer

They have been doing a few burns just north of The Woodlands lately.

Oh No a helo just went down here in Richards , saying a Forest Fire fighter has been killed n the crash . One of the control burn guys .

The forests of the PNW do it a lot. Fall & Spring. Trying to keep the underbrush down so that the fires this summer are not so bad. These are done on the ground not by helos. Sometimes stacked up in brush piles I think. Once in a while if they do a control burn too close to fire season it will get out of control.

The only controlled burn around here along the Rio Grande is when it's time to harvest the sugar cane....

Then we sometimes get "black snow".

The only controlled burn I have is some good green chili.

I went to a presentation by the forest service and they were talking about controlled burns and what they had to watch out for. Obviously they don't start them in high winds, and have fire breaks, but the biggest danger is if an animal like a rabbit catches it's fur on fire and bolts out of the area. They have to go track the animal and put out any fire it starts in the area they didn't intend to burn, and every once in awhile it does get going in the wrong place.

We have them regularly this time of year in my area of AZ. They were scorching the fields next to the golf course while I was playing on Monday, luckily the wind was blowing the smoke away from the course.

A whole subdivision was lost to a controlled burn and people and animals died. It was a old wealthy area outside of town and many had horses. The burn should not have been done with the weather conditions and the agency said they would monitor the burn and then left after it started. Because the people have money they are suing and people lost their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom