They just keep on working

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It is interesting of some of the people I know that continue to work. I'm talking about 4 couples that we know that are multi millionaires and still working. These couples are all at 60 to 64 years of age. They don't own businesses but work for prominent companies and making huge wages and I may add these jobs are high stress. None of them over spend and a live modest life styles. I guess they love to work and want more. Not all want to retire but want to keep making money and socking it away. Lol I think all of them just don't want to give up their prestige's titles and identity. Any of you know people like this?

It is interesting of some of the people I know that continue to work. I'm talking about 4 couples that we know that are multi millionaires and still working. These couples are all at 60 to 64 years of age. They don't own businesses but work for prominent companies and making huge wages and I may add these jobs are high stress. None of them over spend and a live modest life styles. I guess they love to work and want more. Not all want to retire but want to keep making money and socking it away. Lol I think all of them just don't want to give up their prestige's titles and identity. Any of you know people like this?

Yep. I think you hit the nail on the head. Their work is their identity and they can’t imagine giving it up. Obviously not too many of us on this forum can relate since we chose to retire early. To each his or her own!

Yes, I know several. Their reasons vary, but none are for lack of funds. Some still truly enjoy their work, for others it’s a calling/helping others. One of my friends was forced to retire, he really didn’t want to. One just lives a spendy lifestyle with lots of perks, and does not want to cut back at all. Those two were mystified that I wanted to retire early, they couldn’t imagine giving up the income or status my career brought.

While most people would probably rather retire after they reach FI (obviously here), some prefer working. To each his/her own.

Last edited:
RE for me!! 2 years and a month.

I worry this a bit. I am 2 years, 5 months from RE. I honestly don't know what life could possibly be like without the structure of a daily routine, a job. I don't ascribe my self-worth or identity to my job, but because of my job, I don't have much time for a life outside of work. Could this push me to simply keep working? Not sure.

I worry this a bit. I am 2 years, 5 months from RE. I honestly don't know what life could possibly be like without the structure of a daily routine, a job. I don't ascribe my self-worth or identity to my job, but because of my job, I don't have much time for a life outside of work. Could this push me to simply keep working? Not sure.

Have you ever taken a vacation? Did you enjoy it? Were you anxious to get back to the job when it was over?

If those questions don't help, then I would recommend immediately planning and taking a good vacation (two weeks or more) before the end of this year and trying it out. Include a few off days at home after the trip. No contact with the job during the vacation -- make it a clean break. That may help make up your mind whether you're ready to quit or not.

We have friend like this. Used to talk about how much he loved his job. Then he retired - still talked about how much he used to love his job. He and his wife then traveled a lot and they really enjoyed retirement. But he missed work, so he went back. His wife still travels and enjoys retirement. And it doesn’t seem to bother him a bit.

Whatever floats your boat. For me.......I enjoy no corporate responsibilities and politics. As far as structure goes, one can develop a schedule or plan to do things daily. I like the freedom of getting up everyday and deciding what I want to do.....but that's just me.

I encourage anyone who wants to continue working to do so. The ranks retirees are getting a little crowded. Please keep working. Retirement is not for everyone.��

Most definitely to each his/her own. I was one that took very few vacations while working and never a two week one in 40 years of working. lol So, for me after retiring, to have the rest of my life as a long vacation was a little overwhelming, too say the least.
Now, with just about 3 year into retirement I wished I would of left sooner. I wasted way to much time working and putting up with the politics of the job.

I know plenty of people who enjoy their jobs enough that they aren't ready to quit yet.

You are ascribing motives to them like "want more" and "don't want to give up their prestige's [sic] titles and identity". I wonder if that's how they actually feel.

Regardless, we each get to decide what is important to us, and to act accordingly. I don't LOL at others who choose differently than I would.

Most of us can't understand their motivations because we are clearly wired differently. The highly successful Type-A type who enjoy their work and have no plans to quit? Congratulate them!

Many years ago one of my employees was marveling at our CEO's salary (8M or something) and said "wow I would just quit and retire after one year of that!". I answered, "Me too, and that's why you and I will never be a CEO".

If all the world was folks like me, who would run all those companies!

Most of us can't understand their motivations because we are clearly wired differently. The highly successful Type-A type who enjoy their work and have no plans to quit? Congratulate them!

Many years ago one of my employees was marveling at our CEO's salary (8M or something) and said "wow I would just quit and retire after one year of that!". I answered, "Me too, and that's why you and I will never be a CEO".

If all the world was folks like me, who would run all those companies!
I always enjoy your take on topics. Thanks
These people I'm talking about I know very well, so for my thoughts on their decision to keep piling it up is prestige/identity and my hat goes off to all of them. They are true and through friends. I wish them many, many more years of happy working.

Now that I've reached that magical age of 55-65, when people start retiring, and others press on, I'm seeing some problems.

For those who have a job and just want to press on, that's fine! We have some friends like that and we learn to keep our "old" schedule with them, i.e. weekend get togethers.

The problem is with others we know who have lost jobs in this age range, and who want to, or must continue to work. We're seeing some serious struggles out there, mentally unhealthy. I'm not blaming anyone here, I'm just saying for those in this age group who want to work, but don't have a job, it is really difficult for them.

My dentist. He loves his job. He also takes a lot of time off to golf and take mini vacations, sometimes spur of the moment. Appointments are often rescheduled. I don't have to go to the dentist today? What a disappointment.

He buys expensive systems for the practice like a 3D imaging system that lets him manufacture his own crowns. I asked him what the ROI was on it and he told me I was missing the point and showed me how cool it was. When I was still working I could go in on a Saturday morning and come out that afternoon with a permanent crown. He seems to have created the best of both worlds for himself.

I enjoy the day to day of RE. Vacations are icing on the cake. We have the freedom to plan and go or just hang out at home. We enjoy our community and get involved in local activities and volunteer. I disliked the time constraint of working the most. Had to be places/meetings/with people I don't necessarily like, it was forced. Everything in the work world is pretty much planned for you, whether you're a boss or not.

^ I see the satisfaction of people that own their own business like the Dentist that keep on trucking and piing it on.
It is a little harder for me to understand the employee that is at a job that is demanding /stressful but keep on trucking. Again, I'm not condemning or would not persuade them to retire just an observation, of the keep on working, when the game is won.

As long as these same people don't disparage me for my early retirement choice, I really don't care. I'm sure they are just as puzzled that I choose to goof off when I could be making money.

Last edited:
As long as these same people don't disparage me for my early retirement choice, I really don't care. I'm sure they are just as puzzled that I choose to good off when I could be making money.
Exactly! I'm sure they are saying …. what a stupid move by me to retire when I could be making all that money and piling it up. lol

It makes me wonder if they are right or I'm I wrong or if I'm missing something here. lol

There are a lot of people working that put their career above all, and they're used to the high paced, high pressure life. They never learned how to retire.

But we all have a Book of Life that God has written for us. None of us know how long we have on this earth. That's why it is so important for many of us that have had a long term plan to financial independence have chosen to Retire Early. We may have 20-30-40 years of retirement left in us.

I've seen too many of those working past normal retirement years to hang up the jobs and leave this earth a short time later--before getting to really enjoy their retirements. And I've seen a bunch of 60 somethings I grew up with and those I went to college die too young. I've decided to grab all the gusto I can, while I can.

I have a couple work-friends that are still in the game. I think that for some of them, they can not turn away from the power. They get their jollies by running the show and sometimes being the a-hole.

There are also a few that I believe are really still in the game because they love creating great products for the customers. The company makes good money of course, and they are pulling down good wages, but I think the motivation is that they believe they are watching out for the customers. We see a lot of folks that come in with the profit for the company motive, and to heck with the customers. I appreciate that there are people who are able to understand that taking care of your customers is important for the long term.

People are complicated.

My plan isn't there yet

I know a few. One of my best friends at w*rk is worth over $10M, and he keeps showing up to the j*b. His fortune is all self-made: he also spends 5 hours a night researching investments.

So, why does he keep coming to the day j*b? I suppose it's a matter of perspective. I haven't handed in my papers yet, although I think I'd be long gone if I had his money.

But I also know folks who, if they had my (substantially less) money, they would be long gone. They are wondering why I haven't left, just as I'm wondering why richer people than I am haven't left.

The few people I know who are financially independent and still work are those who have a lot of control over their work situation. Those who have to work certain hours, and have a boss tell them what to do and when, seem to like an earlier retirement.

Back
Top Bottom