They just keep on working

steveark >> I'm also involved with volunteering. We are in the processes in starting a volunteer program for a small town and actually looking at the projects today that need to be done.

I also stay very busy with a Foundation I cherish deeply about. This keeps me busier then I want at times but very rewarding.

The charity foundation I chair offered me ther job to be the CEO when the CEO retired at the same time I retired from my 9 to 5. I told them no way, it would stop being fun if they paid me.

I was that guy, a big deal at work, minor celebrity because I was the face of one of the best known companies in my state. It is kind of fun when everybody knows your name and is happy to see you. Like being the mayor or maybe the governor. It felt like they were throwing money at me at work. I wasn't sure who I'd be if I retired. But then I did retire, it just stopped being as fun once the money became useless to me. And retirement is great, but I still consult a day a week so I'm still a public figure with the same network, I like it that way.

That's the best of both worlds, isn't it? I left the foundering newspaper industry with plenty to retire on, but I kept my pinkies in the business by working one day a month for a well-known magazine that caters to an older clientele. Funny how often I run into subscribers.

You suggest that it stopped being fun, but at the same time it sounds more like your departure was involuntary. If you had remained a rock star -- if, in fact, the company's ownership change had come with a significant advancement in power, money and prestige for you, would you have left?

Yes, I most likely would have retired early (way before I discovered this forum and "FIRE") as most in that industry do.

In fact, I had been looking for an exit ramp for a year or two and the company's sale (and contract buyout) provided me with one. I wanted to leave but just didn't know how to do it.

I had been away from home internationally 200 days a year for those 30 years and I had reached the point where I just wanted to do something different.

Hard to explain and hard to believe for those on the outside but despite the trappings, I was bored.

I had plenty of money, three lifetimes of experiences and it just stopped being as much fun. Not so much burnout as the fact that I just didn't need much of it anymore; nothing left to prove. Things were starting to bug me.

Just wanted to do something different and I was in a position to do so.

Last edited:
I recall meeting an older attorney, who told me his mother, 102 worked part-time in his office.

The few people I know who are financially independent and still work are those who have a lot of control over their work situation.

We seem to lack a good word in the English language to describe what these folks do. My "work" managing a multi-state partnership doesn't seem like "work" compared to my megacorp days. I don't have a boss and I set my own schedule within business-imposed limits, not (sometimes arbitrary) human-imposed limits.

The antonym for "work" is "play", but that certainly isn't an appropriate description of what I do. What I do matters - if I screw up, other folks get hurt in non-trivial ways.

I'm not jealous of the folks for whom "retirement" means playing all day. I like playing as much as the next person, but I would feel like something is missing if I did it all day - YMMV. :greetings10:

Two groups of tourists from France and Spain commented to me while on vacation visiting Sea World , " wow, there are so many elderly still working in the USA". I was also there with my family using our annual pass enjoying the day and I just had to laugh..

Any of you know people like this?

1. A million dollars isn’t what it used to be. 4% of American house holds have a million dollar net worth.
2. I know several “liquid millionaires” meaning people with multimillion dollar portfolios. Actually in the metropolitan area like NY and Philly they are pretty common
3. If you read the millionaire next door you will learn many millionaires live pretty modest lifestyles. The smart ones have learned stuff doesn’t bring happiness. However ability to deal with life’s little curveballs without stress is the best thing about real wealth.
4. If you grew up in difficult circumstances you might be reluctant to give up a job/career that pulled you out of dirt.
5. For some people work, thats what they do. It’s gives them a purpose and sense of self.

For me Retirement was a tuff decision and tuffer to execute.

I worked until I was 64.5 I was FI quite some time before that. I did not stress about the job, I actually enjoyed the challenge. I have friends that are in traditionally stressful jobs but their ability and experience keeps the stress at a minimum.

“If I had a million dollars I’d retire” would you? 4% of a million is $40K.. (3,300 a month) I couldn’t live on $40K and trust me all my cars are a couple years old, I wear blue jeans and tee shirts and we coupon clip. My health insurance alone is $2,700 a month. MY real estate on my 3,000 sq ft house are $10 grand a year.

Don’t get me wrong I am happy as a pig in ... a million ain’t what is used to be..

$10 million is the new rich...

Last edited:
Many of my contemporaries are still working as they approach and then pass 70. It moderately disturbs me.

I got out at age 63, after just under 40 years of being a lawyer. 63 isn't early for many of you. But! My college roommate and law school buddy will turn 70 this year and has no plans to retire; he strikes me as kind of depressed. A guy I was law partners with for most of my 39 years is 2 years older; he kept delaying retirement until his wife basically sold their home and bought another one in a different state. He's 72 now and reportedly works remotely 15-20 hours a week. A pretty high percentage of folks in that legal community are still working into their 70's and even 80's. Most of them don't really need the money. They just don't know what they would do.

I have loved my retirement!

1. A million dollars isn’t what it used to be. 4% of American house holds have a million dollar net worth.
2. I know several “liquid millionaires” meaning people with multimillion dollar portfolios. Actually in the metropolitan area like NY and Philly they are pretty common
3. If you read the millionaire next door you will learn many millionaires live pretty modest lifestyles. The smart ones have learned stuff doesn’t bring happiness. However ability to deal with life’s little curveballs without stress is the best thing about real wealth.
4. If you grew up in difficult circumstances you might be reluctant to give up a job/career that pulled you out of dirt.
5. For some people work, thats what they do. It’s gives them a purpose and sense of self.

For me Retirement was a tuff decision and tuffer to execute.

I worked until I was 64.5 I was FI quite some time before that. I did not stress about the job, I actually enjoyed the challenge. I have friends that are in traditionally stressful jobs but their ability and experience keeps the stress at a minimum.

“If I had a million dollars I’d retire” would you? 4% of a million is $40K.. (3,300 a month) I couldn’t live on $40K and trust me all my cars are a couple years old, I wear blue jeans and tee shirts and we coupon clip. My health insurance alone is $2,700 a month. MY real estate on my 3,000 sq ft house are $10 grand a year.

Don’t get me wrong I am happy as a pig in ... a million ain’t what is used to be..

$10 million is the new rich...
I agree with you 100% on what you have said. It also was a tuff decision for me and took me awhile to find my way.

I also beleive where you live makes a huge difference in what a person needs for living expenses.

If the new rich is $10 million is half of that kind of rich? Lol

A number of residents in my area in FL live in huge homes, make 6 figure salaries, kids in private schools, vacationing several times a year, living paycheck to paycheck and have admitted they cannot retire. That's why they keep working...

A number of residents in my area in FL live in huge homes, make 6 figure salaries, kids in private schools, vacationing several times a year, living paycheck to paycheck and have admitted they cannot retire. That's why they keep working...

+1 There's a big difference between "paycheck rich" and true wealth.
I've had to remind DW to never confuse a big house with "rich".

We winter in Lauderdale and I've often commented that a third of those huge homes are owned by true wealth, a third are just trying to keep their heads above water and another third are outright crooks with no intention of paying for anything.

Last edited:
Yes, I most likely would have retired early (way before I discovered this forum and "FIRE") as most in that industry do.

In fact, I had been looking for an exit ramp for a year or two and the company's sale (and contract buyout) provided me with one. I wanted to leave but just didn't know how to do it.

I had been away from home internationally 200 days a year for those 30 years and I had reached the point where I just wanted to do something different.

Hard to explain and hard to believe for those on the outside but despite the trappings, I was bored.

I had plenty of money, three lifetimes of experiences and it just stopped being as much fun. Not so much burnout as the fact that I just didn't need much of it anymore; nothing left to prove. Things were starting to bug me.

Just wanted to do something different and I was in a position to do so.

Traveling 200 days a year -- that really is a rock-star lifestyle.

Traveling 200 days a year -- that really is a rock-star lifestyle.

Yes, it was usually something like three weeks in Japan or Europe or China/
Asia and then one or two weeks home... no real set schedule but that's how it sort of worked out.

Always 5 star travel complete with a local driver and DW was able to come much of the time as well.

Re: stopping when the game is won...
Maybe they’re playing a different game and winning their game looks different from you winning yours?

Last edited:
Wow Ray your HI and property taxes are crazy. We couldn’t retire if we had to pay that. I am assuming one reason your HI is high is because you are insuring 4 people.

I don't get it at all. I always hating working. The only thing I miss about it was the social aspect- interacting with some nice people. And the paycheck, of course. I have been retired since the end of Sept and i will be age 63 this June. I was forced out of my job. Had to quit and left with nothing but my small 401k.

I have a brother that has been quitting for years. Just a little younger than me. He is very well off and is well known in his field. He says he hates it but yet I really think he defines himself by his job and the money keeps him there, although he in no way needs it at all. I told him to just say goodbye and walk out and he says he has a reputation to keep. I told him no one will give a sh%%$t about him after he leaves. SMH....

Today I was on the phone with my cousin in her 60's. She said her husband says she can't retire. I told her to ask him to see the finances! But she also said she too is somewhat defined by her job since she has been doing it for 20 years. Her friends also still work, but she thinks once they retire maybe she would so she would have people to "play" with. She is undergoing stress on the job and working overtime and is tired. Crazy!

She said as for her husband, he doesn't know what he would do if he didn't work. He has no real hobbies. He works from home though at least.

I am way over on the other side. Worked all my life, but always was detached from my job. I knew who I was and it wasn't my job. The most boring day at home is still a million times better than being at work. At home, all I do is work anyway. Taking care of the household, homemaking (cooking, cleaning, shopping), planning our future years and move to another state, and getting things all set financially.

Most days I spend alone in our secluded home. I don't have hobbies. I like to read and go on some forums and social media on the internet. I enjoy the few vacations we take during the year. I talk to myself a lot. I do not have friends or family here. Once in a while I will schedule a lunch with a far away friend or former coworker, maybe attend a town meeting. That's about it.

You know what? It's enough! I exercise an hour each day and the day flies by. Getting up at 6am as opposed to 4am- wonderful!

My husband feels the same and is hoping to retire at the end of the year. He just turned 65. Just no longer commuting will be heaven for him.

Mel, I hope you enjoy your life better once you move.

I don't get it at all. I always hating working.
Did you ever try to find a job that you would enjoy?

At home, all I do is work anyway. Taking care of the household, homemaking (cooking, cleaning, shopping), planning our future years and move to another state, and getting things all set financially.

Most days I spend alone in our secluded home. I don't have hobbies. I like to read and go on some forums and social media on the internet. I enjoy the few vacations we take during the year. I talk to myself a lot. I do not have friends or family here. Once in a while I will schedule a lunch with a far away friend or former coworker, maybe attend a town meeting. That's about it.

You know what? It's enough! I exercise an hour each day and the day flies by. Getting up at 6am as opposed to 4am- wonderful!
It's good that's enough for you.

I was lucky enough to be able to find a career I thoroughly enjoyed. And now my wife and I are thoroughly enjoying our retirement.

Did you ever try to find a job that you would enjoy?

It's good that's enough for you.

I was lucky enough to be able to find a career I thoroughly enjoyed. And now my wife and I are thoroughly enjoying our retirement.

Are you kidding? I have had a lot of jobs over the years. Let's face it, there are only so many jobs within commuting distance of home that pay a decent salary, especially in a rural area. Any job I thought I might enjoy did not pay well, but I did try that also. Turns out that kind of job also had a lot of BS that went along with it.

I can say without a doubt that though there were certain things about my jobs I liked, none of them I would consider "enjoyable". No way, no how.

Not to mention the "schedule of work" in and of itself stinks.

Most people do not really "like" their jobs. They tolerate them and make the best of them. Sure- there are exceptions. But if you ask the average person if they won the lottery if they would keep working their jobs, most would say 'NO!".

Last edited:
Mel, I hope you enjoy your life better once you move.

If you are speaking to me, so do I! I mean- I really want to be in a situation where there are social activities I can partake in. Or at least SEE other people around.

My husband is still working so kind of stuck. And we still have another year or so of this as the house doesn't go up for sale until next spring and I can just imagine how much work it all is going to be! My head spins just thinking about it! Not fun at all, especially since we will have no home to move into. Will probably have to put things in storage and rent. Never rented in my life! Then there is the packing and all the logistics. :(

Scares the hell out of me.

Maybe this is why they keep working. All this push back from "experts." This is a 'wonderful' article.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/retire-early-or-work-forever-51556397683

Ghilarducci:The person who says, “I want to retire early,” should probably talk to a therapist, because behind that is probably an uncertainty about what they want to do with their life, or they don’t like their job. But just financially, it doesn’t make sense unless you’re very, very rich, and if you’re very, very rich, you probably have expensive taste. For most people to quit work for 40 or 50 years, it’s just not a plan that can be sustained for anybody, except for people on TV. So that’s what I’d say to someone who wants to retire in their 40s and 50s. Did you hear what I said? And 50s! 50s is too young. The math won’t work.

No, 50s is not too young. Go back to math class.

Uncertainty with life? NO! I am now finally certain what I want to do with my life! Probably right about not liking the job though. :LOL:

Mel, being isolated would not be fun. Since you are a year away from the big move I would start downsizing now. It can take a long time if you lived in the same house for years. I have moved 30 times so it doesn’t bother me.

It is interesting of some of the people I know that continue to work. I'm talking about 4 couples that we know that are multi millionaires and still working. These couples are all at 60 to 64 years of age. They don't own businesses but work for prominent companies and making huge wages and I may add these jobs are high stress. None of them over spend and a live modest life styles. I guess they love to work and want more. Not all want to retire but want to keep making money and socking it away. Lol I think all of them just don't want to give up their prestige's titles and identity. Any of you know people like this?

I think I am people like this. I do not feel held back my job at all. I think that if I can come up with a good way to save my money for the next generations of my family (I will still live a good life and do the things I want to do) that I cold do a lot of good. It is easier to be very generous when you have more money as well. The downside is the government and bleeding hearts trying to limit what I can have and what I can save and how I utilize my money that I have earned. If I spent it on alcohol, floozies and tattoos its ok, but if I save it up and create an inheritance with it I am a greedy POS.

In my mind, I think I could do more good by working and saving and creating a legacy for my family than I would get from a few years of retirement. Almost all of my social life is at work as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom