What you consider *superior* products

Status
Not open for further replies.
W2R, I think it is a humidity thing. Us coastal dwellers, regardless of geezer status, have less to fear in this particular department.
Yeah, I can see that that has nothing to do with geezer vs geezer-ette status (sorry spncity!). I'll just add that to my looooong list of other problems I have completely avoided by living in an area with unusually high humidity.

I have some of those socks, but when I wore them for a recent death march across Walt Disney, they gave me a heat rash.

I've also tried off-brand equivalents of Smartwool socks, but with poor results. I now stick with Smartwool, and am happy to pay the price for the quality. They are the only brand of socks I wear.

Regarding the plantar fasciitis, which is more common than I first thought, I cured it simply by wearing slippers and not walking barefoot inside the homes. It did not occur to me at first that the problem started when I put down hardwood floors in my home.

Initially, I thought that was just one of the things one suffers when getting old. Similarly, I suffered from kidney stones for a couple of decades until it was diagnosed.

Yeah, I can see that that has nothing to do with geezer vs geezer-ette status (sorry spncity!).

No worries in the least! I'm just glad I get to come to a classy forum and rub shoulders with people who have a FIRE lifestyle to which I aspire!

Kindest regards.

Regarding the plantar fasciitis, which is more common than I first thought, I cured it simply by wearing slippers and not walking barefoot inside the homes. It did not occur to me at first that the problem started when I put down hardwood floors in my home.

Initially, I thought that was just one of the things one suffers when getting old. Similarly, I suffered from kidney stones for a couple of decades until it was diagnosed.

You just keep piling it on don't you, NW. I have heard of a person having a kidney stone, but for a couple of decades? Quit being so informative, I'm trying to enjoy my retirement and this isn't helping any. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just keep piling it on don't you, NW. I have heard of a person having a kidney stone, but for a couple of decades? Quit being so informative, I'm trying to enjoy my retirement and this isn't helping any. :)

Fear not, Mulligan...This old person here (me) has had NONE of the issues NW Bound has described and I am way older than him:D.

As I believe my kids might say regarding this thread......

"Eeek, too much information"! :2funny:

Last edited:
My Schlage keypad deadbolt that I had installed in my new metal door last spring, has been flawless. It never fails to unlock the door, it is easy to operate, and locks the door very very securely. Water does not challenge this deadbolt - - it doesn't skip a beat even after torrential tropical storm level rains have been blown right at it for hours.

If I had known they were this sturdy, well made, and reliable, I would have had one installed years ago! I almost never use a key any more because it is so much easier to just walk around to the side door and use the keypad entry. I can unlock the door even while holding a half dozen bags of groceries; all it takes is one free finger to punch in the code.

It has a battery in it, and I intend to deal with that by replacing the battery on January 1st of every year, instead of waiting until it stops working. It can also be opened with a key, but I have never done that.

Last edited:
Fear not, Mulligan...This old person here (me) has had NONE of the issues NW Bound has described and I am way older than him:D.

No offense to NW as he certainly is a great guy, but I much prefer your path to the golden years! :)

W2R, I think it is a humidity thing. Us coastal dwellers, regardless of geezer status, have less to fear in this particular department.

spncity, I have some of those socks, but when I wore them for a recent death march across Walt Disney, they gave me a heat rash. I'll try them again in cooler weather, but the heat rash added to my already considerable misery from that particular outing.

I don't think it's humidity or gender... It might be climate - it is definitely related to wearing shoes vs sandals or bare feet. Sandals/bare feet lead to the cracked heels.

My husband has no issue until he goes several days without wearing his sneakers... I'm barefoot or sandaled almost 100% of the time. (I hate shoes.) And I have the problem fairly bad.

Sarah - do you wear shoes (vs sandals a lot?)

I don't think it's humidity or gender... It might be climate - it is definitely related to wearing shoes vs sandals or bare feet. Sandals/bare feet lead to the cracked heels.

My husband has no issue until he goes several days without wearing his sneakers... I'm barefoot or sandaled almost 100% of the time. (I hate shoes.) And I have the problem fairly bad.

Sarah - do you wear shoes (vs sandals a lot?)

I don't know if she does or not, but I'm barefoot or sandaled less than half the time, if that. I wear my New Balance running shoes the rest of the time.

Last edited:
Tevas, baby! I do have tennis shoes and a pair of actual nice dress work shoes, but almost always wearing Teva sandals if it is isn't cold. And I have huge feet, like size 10 or so.
I've never worn heels, so maybe that is something.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

And to think before I joined this site, I thought maybe some eyeglasses, a little hitch in the walk, or some more grey hair was all that was involved in the aging process.. :)

I can understand a young person thinking that, but you might be in for a rude awakening at various times in the future:LOL:

Purchased a squirrel Baffel

After several years of trying to prevent squirrels from stealing all of the bird seed from my feeder, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a baffle to prevent the pesky squirrels from climbing up the bird feeder pole and it absolutely works!! I have had it for about 6 months and my bird seed now lasts about 3 times as long, and the birds are quite happy, the squirrels have finally given up trying to beat it. Prior to this purchase, I tried all kinds of home grown methods like "greasing the pole" with Pam, or wrapping the pole with "aluminum foil", none of which provided anything but very temporary frustration to the squirrels, but this baffle "collar" worked for me. I have attached a link if you can not find one locally.

Woodlink NABAF18 Wrap Around Squirrel Baffle, 18-Inch from Woodlink - Grizzly Creek Store

a baffle to prevent the pesky squirrels from climbing up the bird feeder pole

Squirrel baffles are great! I have three of them on feeder poles around the house, and I've found that they baffle the raccoons as well.

Mine are the cylindrical type, and it's great fun to watch a squirrel or coon try to get at the feeder by climbing up the pole, only to find itself inside the cylinder. Endlessly frustrating for them, and endlessly amusing for us. This is the type I use:

Heath Squirrel Stopper Baffle, Black, 6" dia. at BestNest.com

Tevas, baby! I do have tennis shoes and a pair of actual nice dress work shoes, but almost always wearing Teva sandals if it is isn't cold. And I have huge feet, like size 10 or so.
I've never worn heels, so maybe that is something.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm a Birkenstock gal myself. Now they even have clogs so I can wear them all year long! Haflinger wool slippers inside in the winter. Today was the first day I put them on.

Squirrel baffles are great! I have three of them on feeder poles around the house, and I've found that they baffle the raccoons as well.

Mine are the cylindrical type, and it's great fun to watch a squirrel or coon try to get at the feeder by climbing up the pole, only to find itself inside the cylinder. Endlessly frustrating for them, and endlessly amusing for us. This is the type I use:

Heath Squirrel Stopper Baffle, Black, 6" dia. at BestNest.com

Right now I have a 5' length of aluminum dryer duct around the feeder pole. Seems to work well but butt-ugly. I like the looks of this baffle - is there some way to put it on a pole with a shepherd's crook top?

I would take the pole out of the ground and slide it up from the bottom, then plant the pole again.

I would take the pole out of the ground and slide it up from the bottom, then plant the pole again.

Unfortunately the pole has a bracket at the bottom to stabilize it - sort of like a mini pitchfork.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Unfortunately the pole has a bracket at the bottom to stabilize it - sort of like a mini pitchfork.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Is the bracket removable? If so, can you take it apart at the base and slide the baffle up it?

Is the vertical pole steel? Maybe you can cut it in half, install the baffle and then fit a coupling to hold the two halves of the post together.

Can you weld?

I'm familiar with the pole that MBAustin has. I think you would have to snake the baffle over the hook side of the pole and slide it down the pole to the appropriate place on the vertical and then somehow secure it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom