what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went searching in the deep freezer for the oldest meat in there. My prize find was 2 half racks of pork ribs, dated May 2013. They are now cooking nice and sloooow in the oven, 325F for 3 hours, covered with foil.

One rack will be adorned with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, the other with Ah-So sauce for Chinese style ribs.

Mr B and I are hanging out watching Law and Order. A nice lazy TV afternoon together. A rare occasion for both of us to sit still and veg in front of the tube.

It's allowed. :LOL:

I will be changing ISP (Internet Service Provider) soon. It is to make use of the lower rate offered by the other provider. I have been using the email address by the existing ISP for perhaps 15 years. It have to go into all my accounts and switch the email contact to a more neutral address like gmail.

Nowadays, of course all institutions and commercial establishments use email addresses. Man, it takes a bit of time, and I have changed 14 accounts, but just now remember I still have to do Amazon. I hope I will not miss any, before the old email gets turned off.

PS. And while changing the contact info, I looked at my listed phone number, and in one case did not see that it was my current phone number. What the heck is this, I asked my wife. We finally concurred that it probably was the number at our former address, about 40 miles away in a different town.

And we moved 26 years ago. And this was our checking account! Son of a gun!

PPS. No, on 2nd thought, that could not be. When we moved 26 years ago, there was no email, and the email address is only 14-15 year old. That mysterious phone number must have been my wife's cell phone number back then.

Good thing the bank never needed to call us. Or maybe they tried. I will never know now.

Last edited:
I will be changing ISP (Internet Service Provider) soon. It is to make use of the lower rate offered by the other provider. I have been using the email address by the existing ISP for perhaps 15 years. It have to go into all my accounts and switch the email contact to a more neutral address like gmail.

Nowadays, of course all institutions and commercial establishments use email addresses. Man, it takes a bit of time, and I have changed 14 accounts, but just now remember I still have to do Amazon. I hope I will not miss any, before the old email gets turned off.

PS. And while changing the contact info, I looked at my listed phone number, and in one case did not see that it was my current phone number. What the heck is this, I asked my wife. We finally concurred that it probably was the number at our former address, about 40 miles away in a different town.

And we moved 26 years ago. And this was our checking account! Son of a gun!

PPS. No, on 2nd thought, that could not be. When we moved 26 years ago, there was no email, and the email address is only 14-15 year old. That mysterious phone number must have been my wife's cell phone number back then.

Good thing the bank never needed to call us. Or maybe they tried. I will never know now.

I've givn up using ISP e-mail addresses and have changed a few times too. GMail is all we use these days, although I have an account at Yahoo for vendors that require e-mail addresses so the junk can get sent there.

I've givn up using ISP e-mail addresses and have changed a few times too. GMail is all we use these days, although I have an account at Yahoo for vendors that require e-mail addresses so the junk can get sent there.

+1
Went with gmail a few years ago - sure makes things easier when you move/change ISP. Yahoo is also my "junk" email address.

NW-BOUND,
We recently discovered ADT still used our old landline number. We'd worked with then to ensure our monitoring worked proparly and give them a new primary and back up cell numbers.

The alarm sent out a low battery alert to our old disconnected land line because it was the primary when service was established. Then they failed to escalate the failure. Point is all you can do is your best, other entity's screw it up too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I think that perhaps it was simply our overlooking and forgetting to update the phone number. But here's something else I have no plausible explanation for.

This incidence happened recently, when I decided to sign up for a free account at creditkarma to check my credit rating. And as is done these days, this site asked for an email address to be used as the account login name. My browser was Google Chrome, and when I clicked on that box it suggested the email addresses that I had been using. One of them was an email address that I had not been using for nearly 20 years! It took me a few seconds to realize that it was my email address from a long time ago, with an ISP that had been long defunct. It was a dial-up ISP! I was stunned.

The last time I used that email was 20 years and several computers ago. Where did Google Chrome get that email address? And I had been using this laptop for a while, how did that email surface on that day? Not before, not now. I just check and no, that email no longer pops up. What's going on? Was I in the Twilight Zone?

Last edited:
The various bots search all public records. In ny case I found online information I have long forgotten about.

They know not only who you are and where you live, but stuff you never knew existed online or wished it did not.

Example if I needed a record of all the places I lived, I'd get better results searching for me on internet then digging through my files or fading memory. I even found phone numbers I had, none of which I could remember even if waterboarded.

... One of them was an email address that I had not been using for nearly 20 years! It took me a few seconds to realize that it was my email address from a long time ago, with an ISP that had been long defunct. It was a dial-up ISP! I was stunned.

The last time I used that email was 20 years and several computers ago. Where did Google Chrome get that email address? And I had been using this laptop for a while, how did that email surface on that day? Not before, not now. I just check and no, that email no longer pops up. What's going on? Was I in the Twilight Zone?

I saw something like that too. I think, as long as it got imported into one of your contact lists somewhere, or was found in a 'sent' folder that you imported, it finds it.

-ERD50

I'm spending another day being a real veg.

I have xmas lights to put up on my fireplace mantel, presents to wrap, but just can't seem to get motivated to do all of that. Bah humbug. :LOL:

Mr B asked me to go to the local Legion for the adult xmas party this afternoon, but that would require getting out of my nightgown and going to be sociable. :nonono: There will be all sorts of fattening food there, which I need like a hole in the head. I am almost 10 lbs lighter than I was a year ago. :dance:

It's a beautiful sunny day out. I love seeing the sun catching a group of glass icicles I hung from my drapes rod. I have the Easy Listening music cable channel on. All instrumental, with a few xmas songs mixed in here and there. Very relaxing...:D

My teenage helpers and I removed five large burning bushes this morning. I plan to replace them with high-bush blueberries in the spring. Got my hair cut, then went to choir practice to prepare for our lessons and carols candlelight service tomorrow evening. Cocktail party at the next-door neighbors' house this evening.

Drove up to Newark Ohio: son is cast in Jesus Christ Superstar with the Weathervane production company. He's also soloing in their Winter Cabaret tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Got up at 5.20am made a coffee and stared at the bank account, went to uni placement, did a 13 hour unpaid shift, got home at 8.30pm stared at the fire, went online, spoke to son and husband and now it's time to sleep so that I can do it all again tomorrow

Not to worry only 15 or so years to go

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Got up early for a Saturday and met the ROMEO guys at Burger King by 8:00 am. Told stories until 9:30 am then went to step-son-in-laws house to drop off some motorcycle parts for a rebuild he is doing.

Met DW after she finished volunteering at the church breakfast and stopped for coffee. Went home while DW went into Houston to meet SIL. Installed new TV in bedroom, walked the dog, called the rest of the day a non-event.

Waiting for it to rain now. Yard work tomorrow before the Texan game.

Woke up early to the sound of a cat throwing up on our freshly shampooed carpet. Since this is no way to get started in the morning, we went out to grab a bagel for breakfast. Came home and spent a few hours reading in front of the fireplace while playing some Christmas carols in the background, a cat tightly tucked next to me. I just ordered an OTA antenna from Amazon. We have been watching TV less and less recently and DW is close to giving up on cable TV - finally. If we can get good reception with the antenna, I think it's a done deal. Now that AT&T upgraded their nearby cell tower and our cell phone signal at home is decent, I think we can drop the landline too. Yep, this is the end if the year and it is time to review spending. I already dropped a couple of subscription services this week. For lunch we'll have some leftovers. I tried a new recipe from Vegetarian Times this week and the results were very disappointing. Problem is, I made a ton. The rest of the afternoon will be spent preparing for the holidays. MIL is arriving on Monday and I stocked up on "meds" to make the visit more bearable.

I went to a Holiday potluck party at my Italian teacher's home last night. Weirdest party ever. She sent out an email at about 3pm stating it was starting at 6:30 instead of 5pm. Ok... I'd timed the bagna cauda and fresh bread to be warm/ready to go for the 5pm time... But I adapted.

Then when we got there she wasn't there. There was another student (from a different class) saying the professor had gone to the store. This poor student had been there since 5pm since the professor hadn't emailed her class with the updated time. The teacher finally shows up at about 7:30. In the meantime I was glad I'd brought the dip/crudite/bread since that was the only thing out for the attendees to eat. (Another student brought a really good pasta dish - but didn't want to serve it till she arrived.)

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised... We had "social" outings for the Italian class (meet at an Italian restaurant, or at a cultural festival, etc.) She was late to the dinner and festival I attended - and on one of the dinners I didn't attend she sent email out 30 minutes before it was to start stating it was postponed 2 hours.

Oh well - lesson learned.... Plan on a very late start with this teacher and social events.

Today I've been cleaning house, doing laundry, and surfing the net. Nothing exciting.

Cabin fever, so I got out and looked at new guitars at a couple of music stores.. Guitar Center was packed..I was the only shopper in our locally owned music store, where inventory looked pretty bleak. Hope they are not waiting for Christmas to be over so they can shut the doors...

DW and I picked up stuff for fish and shrimp tacos tonight.

Explored about five acres of my camp which I have not seen before. Mounted cap on pickup bed for the winter.

I'm going to a Christmas party tonight. Sure does take a lot of time to get ready...don't remember having to do this much in the past. But I think I'm good to go. :) Hmmm...I did have spinach tonight, so I better check my teef one more time before I head out the door.

Last edited:
I was installing a little decorative fence/gate system to keep the dogs out of the side yard. I was driving in a small (6 inch long) 4 vane spike that the fence support would fit into. All of the sudden, whoosh! Water and sandy mud shooting everywhere. I ran off to find the house shutoff, but no good. So I left DW sitting on top of a 5 gal bucket trying to keep the water from going everywhere, while I ran around the block to find someone who knew how to turn off the irrigation system main. Got that done, probably only lost 2-300 gallons on the 5 minutes. DW was soaked, but was a pretty good sport about it.

That's one thing I miss about being up north. The water pipes and such are all buried about 4 inches below the surface down here below latitude 26. I've cut my irrigation lines more than once, but this was the first time I hit a main.

Other than that, took the 4 dogs to Walgreens for a shot clinic. Got them all up to date on all their shots and meds. It wasn't cheap, but it was a lot cheaper than going to the vet to do it.

Today I went with DH and our daughters to see two of my favorite college basketball teams-- Villanova vs. Syracuse. It was an exciting game and we even got some free basketball (overtime). After the game we had burgers at a bistro and watched the first half of the Eagles game. Watched the third quarter at youngest D's house before driving home, listening on the radio to the disappointing ending. Now I'm settled in next to the fireplace, decompressing.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Drove up to our favorite mountain town to hang out for the next 3 days. DH and DD will be skiing tomorrow. I am still recovering from the flu last week so I will be happy if I can manage a walk outside tomorrow, or maybe a very easy snowshoe.

Not today but yesterday...

The DW took off w+rk so we could go get our 'retiree' military IDs. After that, we went to a restaurant that I frequented often with cow+rkers. It's not very close to the house, so thought this might be the last chance to enjoy it for a while. Of course since it's close to the plant, there were lots of employees there and I couldn't help but hear the moaning and groaning of the w+rkers life. I couldn't help but smile a little bit.... :)

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Pharmacy, gym and grocery store. I have to spend another $6 at the grocery store before the end of the month and then I'm up to 50¢ off per gallon on gasoline. They've learned - the limit used to be 30 gallons but now it is 25, probably because of people like me. I take several 5 gallon cans in the pickup truck and fill those too to make sure to get every one of those 25 gallons.

Fixed the busted pipe from yesterday's incident. Now my back is sore. Bending over and twisting around in a hole is outside my normal range of movement. Normal is more like sitting on the sofa with the laptop and remote.

Wonderful day at the beach, pool and lazy river at my resort. Made some new friends too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom