RIP Joe Cocker

I saw him at some club in Hollywood back in the early '70s. He came out after the group I went to see finished their last set. Don't even remember who I went to see. He worked over those couple of songs as if it was the last thing he would ever do in life. They half carried him off stage. Theatrics? Maybe, but man did he kill.

Only 70? I'm 63 and I always thought he was way older than me. I did like him a lot.

RIP

Woodstock 1969

Cologne 2013 (HD)

Last edited:
I saw him at the low point of his career. He played a small bar in south Minneapolis in about 72 or 73. He was still great.

Ray Thomas

You made me check on Ray Thomas...still alive. Can't believe the Moodies aren't yet in the R&R HoF.

loved to listen to him. funny story about his appearance at woodstock. the organizers had only heard him, never saw him. They thought he was an african american. and they had no idea how "physical" he got into his songs. Needless to say they were surprised.

That Woodstock performance was classic! RIP Joe...

An appropriate requiem from another great who's "done gone on"...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I never got to see him, but liked his music. Gone too young.

I saw him 2 years ago, he was as good as ever. So sorry he had to leave.

There's a heck of a party/performance going on. RIP Joe...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Broke my heart almost as bad as when Johnny Winter died last summer. Can't count the hundreds and hundreds of times I've listened to "Mad Dogs & Englishmen"---bought the album in the early 70's when it first came out and played it to death. Made a cassette copy and played it to death. About 10 years ago found the CD at the library and copied it with my computer and have played it to death. Of course with "Mad Dogs & Englishmen", you have to look at the band too: Leon Russell, Chris Stainton, Don Preston, Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, Jim Keltner, Chuck Blackwell, Sandy Konikoff, Bobby Torres, Jim Price, and Bobby Keys. Among the singers were Rita Coolidge and Bobby Jones. R.I.P. Joe, you will be missed.

Only 70? I'm 63 and I always thought he was way older than me. I did like him a lot.

That was my initial reaction, also. I wasn't quite old enough to notice his 60s music. In fact I probably never even saw him on tv until he sang "Up Where We Belong". I still remember that. I thought truly something physically was wrong with him when he sang. I didn't know until later that was just the way he rolled when he sang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting all those greta vids, they brought back a lot of memories:)

I'm reminded of the duet Belushi & Crocker did on SNL way back, that was a hoot.

I really enjoyed his music. RIP

_B

Back
Top Bottom