what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ripping up carpet, tack strips and staples from the carpet padding. Going to pull up and refinish all the baseboard, as well. Solid wood flooring coming in a few weeks, and I want the rooms repainted and ready the go.

Also spent time at a new shooting range, which can handle my high power handguns. Nice place, and they take safety seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The tooth ordeal is over...I had that turkey tooth extracted today. I had to take antibiotics for an abscess, hence the delay in getting it extracted. The tugging feeling during the procedure kinda freaked me out but it came out cleanly. Whew!
I am doing only liquid food since there is still some tenderness. I did get some cottage cheese eaten without it getting over to the side where the tooth was taken out. I have all sorts of fruit and plain yogurt on hand, so I'll stick to smoothies until tomorrow.
Salt rinses start tomorrow. I can't wait. :nonono: But I gotta follow the instructions.
I've lost almost 5 pounds in 2 weeks since it first bothered me enough to go to the dentist. There is a silver lining after all. :D

The tooth ordeal is over...I had that turkey tooth extracted today. I had to take antibiotics for an abscess, hence the delay in getting it extracted. The tugging feeling during the procedure kinda freaked me out but it came out cleanly. Whew!
I am doing only liquid food since there is still some tenderness. I did get some cottage cheese eaten without it getting over to the side where the tooth was taken out. I have all sorts of fruit and plain yogurt on hand, so I'll stick to smoothies until tomorrow.
Salt rinses start tomorrow. I can't wait. :nonono: But I gotta follow the instructions.
I've lost almost 5 pounds in 2 weeks since it first bothered me enough to go to the dentist. There is a silver lining after all. :D

Freebird, I had some dental surgery recently. This guy is a top surgeon. Teaches in NYC. He told me to drink tea, ice tea on first & second day then switch to hot tea if I prefer. Said it's great for healing. Didn't matter what kind of tea. I drink Lipton so that's what I used. Hope your mouth is better soon.

Freebird, I had some dental surgery recently. This guy is a top surgeon. Teaches in NYC. He told me to drink tea, ice tea on first & second day then switch to hot tea if I prefer. Said it's great for healing. Didn't matter what kind of tea. I drink Lipton so that's what I used. Hope your mouth is better soon.
I will definitely do that. I have some green tea on hand.

So far so good...some discomfort in the jaw but the extraction site is very happy. Lot of salt water rinses to help things along. I'm sticking with soft food until the jaw feels better.

Today is just a chill out day for me. It's sunny out, but I need to stay inside and rest. I recorded some Star Trek:TNG episodes starring Leonard Nimoy that SyFy televised last week, so maybe I'll curl up on my couch under my blanket and watch Spock. \\ //

...Today is just a chill out day for me. It's sunny out, but I need to stay inside and rest... so maybe I'll curl up on my couch under my blanket.... \\ //

Sorry that you are not feeling up to par. But, you certainly have hit upon my very favorite way to deal with the "not feeling well problem".
You are, indeed, a born problem solver. \\ //

Last edited:
Getting my ceilings fans upgraded today. Replacing single light bulb units to 4 light bulb units that have a remote control. The light from the single bulb, was just not cutting it. Also, replacing a hollow door to the garage to a fire door. Getting the guest bedrooms set up for the arrival of my nephews, after the fan work is completed. Also, having a under the sink stage 3 water purification system put in. Need to get groceries for a 12 and a 15 year, even thou I bet they will force me to eat out every meal.

Last edited:
Choppin' firewood. Big ol' Douglas Fir came down in the wind a few months back. There is at least 3 years of fireplace burning in this tree. Might as well not bother renewing my gym membership for a while. ;)

Bought some train tickets for our summer trip. Amsterdam to London via the Chunnel and Venice to Vienna then on to Prague. Cuccettes for the Venice- Vienna leg. I'm trying to grab the super saver rates as they are released but different countries and systems release in different windows.

Handed in the paperwork to get China tourist visas for our upcoming trip. Very intimidating up-front process (so many questions to answer!) but once we got to the office, it went very smoothly - we were out the door 15 minutes after they opened! Visas should arrive on Wednesday next week. They kept our passports which was a bit disconcerting. But I'm sure it will be fine.

Stopped in at a sporting goods store I found an old gift card for ($25 I'd won at the company gym years and years ago, never spent it). Bought some new hiking pants for a grand total of $6.19 after using the gift card. They were identical to some other ones that were on the shelf for $70, but had been marked down because they were filthy (looked like someone had chucked them in a corner and left them there for months).

Signed contract to have 12 of 20 windows replaced with energy efficient ones. DW and I agreed to do this on the spur of the moment when seeing a neighbor down the street had that done. Cost: $13K.

Would we be happier spending that money on a toy like a slightly used Nissan Leaf? Oh well, we are out of parking space for another vehicle anyway.

I will definitely do that. I have some green tea on hand.

So far so good...some discomfort in the jaw but the extraction site is very happy. Lot of salt water rinses to help things along. I'm sticking with soft food until the jaw feels better.

Today is just a chill out day for me. It's sunny out, but I need to stay inside and rest. I recorded some Star Trek:TNG episodes starring Leonard Nimoy that SyFy televised last week, so maybe I'll curl up on my couch under my blanket and watch Spock. \\ //

Found a good interview of Nimoy:

http://youtu.be/kP_lWe9uhs8

Thought you might like it. It's a two parter...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Accompanied DH to a cardiac catheterization procedure to screen him for a leaky valve repair in early summer. All is good except for the already-known enlarged area. The procedure was through his wrist--pretty cool what medicine can do today.

Today is a good day to sit and watch pre-season baseball with Mr B. No Legion stuff, no studying, no tax preparation...just a do nothing day for him. He's been on a steady roll with few breaks for weeks now.
I convinced Mr B to stretch out on the leather couch, covered him with a blanket, and lowered the TV volume a little. He is now enjoying a cozy afternoon 100% lazy time. That leather couch has been known to put a person right to sleep. He won't last long. ;)

I've graduated to semi-soft food. :LOL: I made some really good ground shrimp patties for dipping into soy sauce. Today I made some ground chicken breast patties to dip into Chinese duck sauce for dinner tonight. I may not be able to chew too well but I am not starving. :D

A very light snow is falling...monster flakes that float like little geometric parachutes down to the ground. Beautiful to watch. :cool:

Retirement doesn't get much better that this. :flowers:

The weather warmed up to the 60's, the sunshine is brilliant, and it is a spectacularly beautiful Saturday after the cold and gloomy weather earlier this week. So, after sharing a grilled shrimp po'boy at an old timey restaurant, we decided to go for a long pleasure drive through the middle of New Orleans.

Unfortunately, every other resident of New Orleans had exactly the same idea. The traffic was crazy. Canal St., St. Charles Ave, and even Claiborne were all pretty well clogged up. Also nearly every street I chose seemed to be under construction (oh, oops! :LOL:). We waited forever for a train to pass by, too.

We still enjoyed our long pleasure drive, but I must admit that after battling traffic for an hour or two it is wonderful to be back home.

I've graduated to semi-soft food. :LOL: I made some really good ground shrimp patties for dipping into soy sauce. Today I made some ground chicken breast patties to dip into Chinese duck sauce for dinner tonight. I may not be able to chew too well but I am not starving. :D...

I had it a lot worse when I had all four wisdom teeth out in one shot in my 20s. All four teeth were impacted (the X-ray showed they were growing horizontally and pushing against the next molars).

The surgeon must have used an impact hammer to get them out because both sides of my face were black and blue. I was not able to even open my mouth to speak for about a week, so I spoke through my teeth. And when I came back a week later for him to remove the suture, I was able to open my mouth just about enough to fit a spoon between my front teeth.

Oh man! What an ordeal. My wife, my kids, none had as much pain with wisdom teeth removal as I did.

Last edited:
what did you do today?

Had such a fun day with DD. Her 7th birthday is in a few weeks so we spent time picking out all the fun details for her party, both online and at a few stores. Then we went to the library and the park.

It's an all sports/chauffeuring weekend for this mom. Last night we had pizza at the local pizza shop with younger son's basketball team (they were out of the playoffs last weekend.) We walked from there over to the rec center to watch older son lose his playoff game. Unfortunately, the loss could have been avoided. Refs mad a bad call. Our asst. coach started yelling. Refs (both of them) got ticked off and started clearly making calls that didn't make sense. (Our team would do a clear pick - feet planted, arms crossed, get knocked down, and have foul called on them.) Our coached got more angry - including some foul language by the asst. coach. He was expelled. Technical fouls issued, head coach gets mad, more technical fouls called. 8 freethrows for the other team, and both coaches expelled. We lost by 6 points.

I understand the coach's anger at the calls... but they lost the game for the kids with their poor sportsmanship.

Today is opening day of baseball. Big parade/ceremony. Took younger son to his game. (He was batboy since he still has a cast on for his elbow break). DH is at older son's game. We're going with older son's team to the same pizza joint as last night. Ugh.

I wish the weather were more winter/spring like... it was over 90 degrees at the first game. It's dropped to 80 now.

I had it a lot worse when I had all four wisdom teeth out in one shot in my 20s. All four teeth were impacted (the X-ray showed they were growing horizontally and pushing against the next molars).

The surgeon must have used an impact hammer to get them out because both sides of my face were black and blue. I was not able to even open my mouth to speak for about a week, so I spoke through my teeth. And when I came back a week later for him to remove the suture, I was able to open my mouth just about enough to fit a spoon between my front teeth.

Oh man! What an ordeal. My wife, my kids, none had as much pain with wisdom teeth removal as I did.
Ouch. Quadruple ouch. :(

I also had all 4 of my wisdoms out at one time, procedure done by an oral surgeon. I lived on mashed potatoes and cheese for a week.

Once this extraction heals, I have to have 2 more teeth, on the other upper side, removed on the 17th. Bone loss from periodontal disease in my 30s left me with some teeth that wobbled slightly back then. 25 years later, they are goners. I am looking at either a bridge or a partial plate. I already have a 3 tooth bridge near the current extraction site.

Am I having fun yet ? :nonono:

All this is not fun, but necessary. Sigh.

We ran an emergency training exercise here in town today for the community radio and emergency response groups. I got to play Emergency Operations Center. :) It actually went better than I thought it would. It appears that folks actually paid attention in our little training sessions.

Once this extraction heals, I have to have 2 more teeth, on the other upper side, removed on the 17th...

Oh boy! :flowers:

Human teeth are such high-maintenance items. How did people cope in the old days, before modern dentistry? Oh, most of them did not make it to our age now for other reasons anyway, to worry about teeth.

And this talk reminds me of the time I visited a New Zealand farm. It was explained to me that the sheep had to be culled at about 2 years, mainly because by that time their teeth got so worn out from eating rough vegetation, and they could not eat.

Imagine if we had no false teeth to allow us to eat. :dead:

PS. My memory must be failing me; the 2-year life seems extremely short, so it must have been longer. Anyway, I remember being surprised that a sheep's life was determined by the health of its teeth, which it had no control over because it depended on the type of vegetation it had available to eat.

Last edited:
Dw and I road the bikes to this great lil place along the river. It was 60 today oh my. The food was meh...but the birds chirping and the low river was great. The geese and ducks paired up means babies soon

Yesterday we went to the river camp to check things out, hope to open it up soon if the warmer weather holds. We had record lows on Friday night (about 4 degrees) and then up over 50 on Saturday. Snow melting fast! River was up about a foot at the camp. Inside the house it was still at 30 degrees, had to go outside to warm up. Water in the refrigerator was frozen. Up until this visit, the fridge had managed to keep things at liquid temps but too many sub freezing nights in a row. The previous owner had told us that he usually kept any liquids stored at the camp over the winter in the fridge to keep them from freezing?

Might be able turn the water back on in a week or so- nights in the 30's are okay, just don't want to risk the pipes much lower than that.

More warm weather due here today, we're ready!

Yeow! I didn't know how lucky I was when I had two wisdom teeth pulled by the dentist, not oral surgeon. Worst part was the noise it made.

Thinking I would be in misery my sister later brought over a large pot of homemade chicken soup, only to find me and a buddy eating pizza and drinking beer while watching "The Battle of Britain" on TV. I wasn't up for running a marathon or anything but I didn't feel bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom