what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Monday I started a very low carb, high fat (but low saturated fat), moderate protein diet.

Congratulations on the success you are having with your new diet. I think you are on the right track, except for the advice you apparently received to avoid saturated fat. Based on what I've read, that advice is outdated - nothing unhealthy about saturated fats such as butter and beef tallow (especially when they come from grass-fed cows). What is really unhealthy are the "industrial seed oils" that we've been told to eat since the 60s/70s or so. I'm talking about corn oil, vegetable oil, safflower oil, canola oil, and similar oils. Margarine would be in the same group. When you read about how these oils are made, it makes you cringe. More specifics on that here:
Refining Vegetable Oil: A Nasty Process

Plowed the driveway, cleared snowdrifts from in front of my workshop so I could get my latest project out, Adjusted vertical tilt on my drone and took another test flight, cleaned the inside of my workshop, bought some furniture wax, and getting ready for the Blackhawks game tonight.

found out at annual physical that I'm pre-diabetic. Diagnosis really got my attention and explains the way I'm been feeling (thought it was just about getting older). My A1C was 6.0 which isn't terrible in the context of full diabetes but it's not a result that I was happy with.

Doc didn't suggest meds or even a diet change... just nonchalantly said "oh, based on your tests you're pre-diabetic" then moved on to the next topic. (I'm changing docs)

Certainly go ahead and make diet and exercise changes if you want to, nothing wrong with that. But don't overreact to the diagnosis. Pre-diabetes is not that big a deal, and I can pretty much guarantee isn't responsible for any physical symptoms you've been feeling. The reason even full blown diabetes is so insidious is because there are few or no physical symptoms, unless you are way, way down the road with it. Pre-diabetes is sort of like a slight rise in cholesterol or blood pressure, or a pre-cancerous mole or something like that. Just a mild wake up call, and something to not ignore. And unless you dislike your doctor for other reasons, I wouldn't change just because (s)he didn't make a huge deal about it.

So, yeah, go ahead and make changes if you want, it probably won't hurt. But there's no need to freak out over it.

Plowed the driveway, cleared snowdrifts from in front of my workshop so I could get my latest project out, Adjusted vertical tilt on my drone and took another test flight, cleaned the inside of my workshop, bought some furniture wax, and getting ready for the Blackhawks game tonight.

The injury to Kane has got to really hurt. I'm a life long Canucks fan, so my sympathy has limits. :D

So, yeah, go ahead and make changes if you want, it probably won't hurt. But there's no need to freak out over it.

Thanks Harley, good insight. I'm not really freaking out but when one sandwich on light bread gets my blood glucose up to the high 190s it got my attention.

And I have about 50 pounds that I've needed to lose for a couple of years so now is as good a time as any to get serious.

Weeded the garden so DH could out in some new seeds and plants. Too advantage if a very temporary dip in airfare to buy our tickets to Europe for the summer . splurging on business class because it was so low. (Price had since gone back up....). Kids are flying in the back of the plane. Is a splurge but one I've had fantasies about.... Especially since they came out with the last flat suites.

Now I'm at the orthopedist's office getting my sons broken elbow checked.

The injury to Kane has got to really hurt. I'm a life long Canucks fan, so my sympathy has limits. :D

I understand your sympathy. I like the Sedins, but I'd feel the same way if either of the twins went down. Yep it is going to be rough without Kane. The Blackhawks will probably face the Canucks again in the playoffs, so they better find an offense. Hasn't been a great 48 hours in Chicago - Derrick Rose is out for the year with another knee injury.

Put all this together and we got something serious going on.
T minus 48 hours until my last antibiotic pill is taken. Then I have 3 days to misbehave until the bad tooth extraction is performed on March 5th.

Look out ! Sunday is gonna be a doozie !!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

I am making homemade shrimp and crab bisque today. Still can't chew resilient foods due to 2 wobblers. I have to cut everything up in small pieces.
I got burned out on eating rice with cream soup. So I switched to tater tots and pork flavored gravy from a jar. :LOL:
Mr B bought me fresh bananas, frozen strawberries, and 2 huge containers of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. My gardening buddy brought me papaya and kiwi. All of this fruit will be chopped or ground up and mixed with yogurt. Yum yum...

It's been interesting going almost completely meat free for 10 days. When all is said and done, I'm going to splurge on the biggest damn steak I can find. :cool:

Got a call from a (still working) co-worker, asking me how I liked not working anymore. It took only that phone conversation for me to immediately realize, and convey to the caller how much I was enjoying no longer being in the pressure cooker environment we had shared, and that the relaxed feeling of retirement was incredibly liberating. The co-worker and I had compared notes on various aspects of retirement in the past when I was still working and I knew he was seriously close to the edge himself, and he let me know his ER date was set for April this year. I congratulated him, and let him know I'd be expecting a cold beer to help celebrate!

Went to the dentist yesterday morning to get fitted for a replacement crown. Due to my as normal resistance to novocaine the Dr. had to numb the hell out of me, going in under the tooth and into the ligament. Spent the rest of the day feeling like somebody had kicked me in the face.

Today our house guests headed back to the frozen tundra of the Baltimore suburbs. No more excuses to party. Time to start cooking at home, watching what I eat, and getting back to swimming and Tai Chi. This year and last year both DW and I gained a significant amount of weight in our FL half year, even though we're pretty active down here. Must be the restaurant food. This year I want to go back north (in May) at least in no worse shape than I was when I got here.

Yesterday went to my spa place and had a medicure/pedicure/100 minute massage/haircut package.

Today tried a new Korean restaurant that opened up recently that is about 4 blocks from my house. Talked to the owner and she will have personalized dishes prepared that I can heat up and eat throughout the week. The two cooks are 83 and 72 years old and they can really sling the chow. Starting Sunday at 1pm, I can start picking up the booty.

Tonight going to a bar that has a really good cover band playing; The Clash, Fleetmac, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, type stuff.

Tomorrow sleep until at least noon, hopefully not alone.

I made it. As of now, I am eligible for a pension. I needed to make it to the last day of the month that I turned 50 years old.

ER date is not set in stone but will be on or before June 12 of this year. My manager has whispered to me that I might be able to get a severance package in Q2. It will be a nice windfall if it happens. In the meantime I will be putting in my time and trying not to let the BS bucket fill up. I've already started leaving a bit early when I feel like it, figuring it will take a while before anyone notices and then a while longer for them to act on it (i.e. yell at me)

Upgraded one of my basement PCs to Linux mint 17.1 from 16. The other one was a gift which by original owner's request had its hard drive destroyed, then one my drives installed and loaded with Linux 17.1 Mate. Now both of the basement machines are up to the latest in Linux. On which machine I am writing this. Only on desktop left with Windoze. IIRC that has win7.

Went to Trader Joe's and bought the woman I'm currently living with three bunches of flowers for Valentine's Day.

Went to Trader Joe's and bought the woman I'm currently living with three bunches of flowers for Valentine's Day.

Ok, I'll take the bait....which calendar are you operating with ? :LOL:

I was wondering how many other women he lives with when he's not living with that one.:D

Reminds me of an old joke:

A guy (looking outside toward the street through the curtains) says to his wife: "Say, there's that woman Bill Smith is in love with, walking down the street".

His wife drops a bowl of spaghetti sauce on the floor and while sprinting to the living room trips, falls, and breaks the leg off an antique table and smashing the table lamp inherited from her great-grandmother. She get up, and hobbling in pain to the window, says "You ninny! That's his wife!"

Husband says, "Of course...."

All is well. The woman I currently live with seemed to be simply over-whelmed by the flowers and, in return, gave me this sweet poem she cut out of a magazine. She said she cut it out a while ago, but was waiting for the perfect time to give it to me.

NOW

Now that you’ve (almost) learned to send flowers, (almost) remember
birthdays and not-so-much rememberValentines Day,

Now that you can cook tacos and toss salads,

Now that you can take someone out to dinner and
choose a bottle of wine,

Now that you know the proper ways to make love to
me (and apparently my sister).

Now that you’ve developed a sense of what I like,

You can go give it away to someone who won’t need
to ask.

Now that your housebroken,

Now that I spent nearly sixteen years trying to
articulate my desires and learning to meet your
needs,

Now that we’ve been through that, it’s too hard to
live with you any more.

We both have to start over with someone else.

I’m not begrudging you what you are now.

I don’t want it at this point.

It was too difficult getting there and it’s always
better when you don’t have to ask.

But, when is someone going to come along who needs
hardly any instruction?

Someone who’s already had basic training with
someone else?

The poem is kinda touching, right?
(poem has been slightly edited and modified)

Last edited:
DW calls to me, "There is something under the dishwasher". I walk over, there is indeed something under the dishwasher. I retrieve and examine it, photographed it.

I then announced "Yup, that's something all right".

DW said "I'm so glad I married you so I always know what is going on".

It looks like a dried-up bit of cork-like gasket material. Or something.:D

Attachments

• something.jpg
    something.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 26
Working out my 'wish list' for a major kitchen remodel. The current kitchen is 28 years old, built with the finest contractor-grade particleboard appointments. Much of it is disintegrating. Heck, the wallboard is even delaminating, and I've never seen that before.

I'm playing around with layouts, features I want, things I don't want, and so on. I've got floorplans and lists. DW has us meeting with an interior designer Monday. An interior designer, and an INTJ retired engineer on the same project, in the same meeting.

What could possibly go wrong? :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom