Five Guys Burgers

One in town here closed up a few months ago. They were good, but pricey.

When in the midwest, White Castle reigns supreme!!

Finally got to try White Castle when they opened up a "real" outlet in Vegas along Fremont Street. Hmm, it's ok.
Personally, I prefer a standard burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickle.

The few times I tried Culver's butter burgers (from a recommendation here years ago), I got an MSG headache.

No more for me. :(

omni

Belly bomber's, only taste really good at 2 am:D ( when you are 20 yo). We have one a quarter mile away. Every once in a while we get a 6-pack. satisfies the urge for for another year or two.

My BIL grew up on these. He's 79 years old and had a heart transplant at 75. Last time DW and I were in St. Louis (2 years ago), he wanted us to bring some sliders back for him, so I bought a couple of dozen and put them in a large cooler packed with ice.

I eat there once in about 5 - 6 months. I like it once in a while - I guess better than In-and-out. It is more expensive than usual. But I take home half of it. There was one near us in a smaller city and it closed after 2 years. I guess people just wanted to spend money on a cheaper burger. It's kinda like the FatBurger in Vegas .. greasy.

No one has mentioned the Midwest chain, Culver's. It's so good.
We all have different tastes. I like Culver’s root beet, but their burgers are just average to me. And I’m not a fan of their crinkle fries. I think Wendy’s is better than Culver’s. YMMV

I like Five Guys, including the fries. I like the atmosphere, the whole concept. Smells great. I like to just get mustard and pickles, some onions maybe. Just to enhance the burger. I am surprised so many people diss them here. But, I think this crowd adds value to the equation, so a 99 cent burger is more appealing :):) I rarely eat fast food, so if I do, I don't look at prices.

I went to 5 Guys once. That should say it all.

With all the hype and great ratings, yeah, I was expecting to be impressed. At $22 for 1 little burger, 1 big burger, 1 small fries and one small soda you would think it would be a great burger. And, it sounds like some folks here really do like them, so maybe it just wasn't the kind of burger I expected. We all have different tastes.

I think I'll just stick to the Corner Bar. 2 burgers, 2 fries, 2 beers, $15+tip.

+1 THIS!! Why get a so-so burger with a soda when you can have a great burger at a local bar and have a nice cold beer at LESS cost!

Been to a 5 Guys once and I was NOT impressed at all. Long wait next to an overflowing garbage bin, greasy as heck and half done fries. And very pricey. Not sure why they are growing like they are.

Beck’s Prime burgers are the bee’s knees. Most locations are in the Houston area; Dallas and Austin have one location each.

DW and I like Five Guys, but for health reasons we do not eat its offerings more than once a month. :)

We tried Five Guys some years ago, when they first opened in town. Do not recall the flavor exactly, other than the burgers did not impress. Definitely remember the patties being small. We have not been back since that 1st time.

BJs Brewhouse had a California Burger that had avocado, green chilies and 100% angus beef patty on sourdough, I think. Plus nice thick wedge fries. This very very good. Good beer too. So were the fried artichoke hearts with aioli.

Been years though. My diet is more restricted now.

BJs Brewhouse had a California Burger that had avocado, green chilies and 100% angus beef patty on sourdough, I think. Plus nice thick wedge fries. This very very good. Good beer too. So were the fried artichoke hearts with aioli.

Been years though. My diet is more restricted now.

You could put green chilis on a flip flop and I'd eat it. Love those things.

We’ve only been to Five Guys once also, but may give them another try. There is a place in St. Thomas (USVI) called Tap & Still that we absolutely loved and friends said Five Guys was the closest thing on the mainland.

Yeah, I too went there ONCE. Way too greasy and while good the fries were also greasy and somewhat soggy. Totally, paid the price for this one time visit the next day - If you know what I mean.:facepalm:

We've eaten burgers and French fries a few dozen times from two different Five Guys and found them delicious.

That said, the shakes are over priced and their hot dogs and BLT sandwiches are nothing special.

5G wasn't anything wonderful. Don't really find any burger place worth a special trip. In N Out was hyped so much I had to try it. Again - no need to go back. Best burgers for us are thick 1/3 pounders from my charcoal grill and cooked with a big depression in the very center to maintain plumpness. Best of all - make that a Bison Burger.

Funny, I don’t eat burgers often but I think Five Guys burgers are better than any fast food burgers around me. They’re almost as good as Shake Shack. We don’t have In-n-Out here, but Five Guys is way better than Steak ‘n Shake to me. And dry burgers, at Five Guys? Red Robin is better than Five Guys, but we haven’t gone there in many years. There’s a regional chain near us that is way better anyway, so they get the few dollars we spend on burgers. Guess that’s why there are all kinds of restaurants to serve all kinds of tastes.

Yup, what MidPack said. Just checked Quicken, and we have consistently eaten there once a month for the last 11 months. We have two near us, and at at one of them last year and weren't impressed. The second one opened next to a yogurt shop a neighbor owns and we saw her bringing it home all the time, so asked about it. They loved it, so we tried the #2 location, and we LOVE it too. Now we're getting one even closer to us so I'm hoping #3 is as good as the #2 locale.

Any place that will fry onions for my burger is A-OK with me. :dance:

We've eaten at various Five Guys around the country, we find the burgers to be good but not exceptional. Don't like their fries (too thick) but their bacon-cheese hot dog is excellent.

Ate at the one in Gare do Norde earlier today. After a very disappointing dinner last night, and a light breakfast this morning. DW and I agreed, "not bad." While 16 Euros for 2 gut bombs might seem steep, it was quite a bargain after dropping 100 Euros for cat food the prior night.

Oh, and first fast food joint we've been in with a bouncer. Seriously, a big, tough dude near the entrance with a shirt emblazoned with "Five Guys Security." Decided there and then not to raise a ruckus or steal stuff. :LOL:

Last edited:
Now I've seen everything. Five Guys is in France? Whoda thunk?

They are not my favorite. As others mentioned, there seems to be a lot of grease everywhere. I've only had a few chances when out West at In-and-Out and would say their burgers and fries are better than 5G.

I miss Fuddruckers and similar chains. That style was my favorite. Your local bar can approximate it and I'll take that over 5G any day, for a similar price.

Back
Top Bottom