No cell phone

I'm going to check into that google voice sms/text msg part, I just got a google voice and use it with an obahai device for totally free phone calls in USA and to Canada...

I have two GV numbers. One is used with our Obi-200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline service. The other is used with Hangouts on my mobile phone for all texting, voice calls, and video calls. My phone has an actual phone number from Ting, but I don't even know what it is. The only number I provide to people is my GV number. And I have all conventional text/voice functionality disabled using the Ting device setup.

This has a number of advantages: (1) no spam calls or texts, (2) I don't pay Ting for voice or text usage, (3) I only pay Ting for mobile data usage when not in a WiFi area (rare), (4) when I'm overseas, I can call the US for free in a WiFi area, and (5) voicemail transcript sent as text or email, so I know immediately if I missed a call on the home phone.

A couple disadvantages: (1) voice quality can be sketchy if I'm not in a WiFi or 4G area (increasingly rare), (2) Most verification systems work fine with GV, but as gauss mentioned, some don't recognize GV as a legitimate mobile number. They think it's a VoIP number. I had trouble signing up with Uber for this reason. Uber eventually accepted the GV number but only after I opened a trouble ticket and some back and forth email with their tech support. There have been a few other instances like this but there is almost always an alternative means of verification like email.

I have two GV numbers. One is used with our Obi-200 VoIP adapter for totally free landline service. The other is used with Hangouts on my mobile phone for all texting, voice calls, and video calls. My phone has an actual phone number from Ting, but I don't even know what it is. The only number I provide to people is my GV number. And I have all conventional text/voice functionality disabled using the Ting device setup.

This has a number of advantages: (1) no spam calls or texts, (2) I don't pay Ting for voice or text usage, (3) I only pay Ting for mobile data usage when not in a WiFi area (rare), (4) when I'm overseas, I can call the US for free in a WiFi area, and (5) voicemail transcript sent as text or email, so I know immediately if I missed a call on the home phone.

A couple disadvantages: (1) voice quality can be sketchy if I'm not in a WiFi or 4G area (increasingly rare), (2) Most verification systems work fine with GV, but as gauss mentioned, some don't recognize GV as a legitimate mobile number. They think it's a VoIP number. I had trouble signing up with Uber for this reason. Uber eventually accepted the GV number but only after I opened a trouble ticket and some back and forth email with their tech support. There have been a few other instances like this but there is almost always an alternative means of verification like email.

Cobra,

Your setup is quite similar to mine. I will throw out the one ongoing problem I have with my setup to see if you have it also.

I have 2 GV numbers. One goes to the house phones via VOIP and I have this one setup so that outbound callerID from the house line sends the actual GV number -- which is what I want.

On my cellphone howerver, which the 2nd GV number points to, if I make a voice call to someone while on the cell network, I can only send the cellphone callerid - not the GV number. Friends get annoyed when they see the strange number.

Does your setup work so that GV numbers are sent out with CALLERID on both your home line and your mobile line?

Thanks
-gauss

Disclaimer: I'm a very light cell phone user.

I've made it a tradition to buy a TracFone from HSN on Christmas day every year.

Here's the one I got this year:

1500 minutes (a little over two hours per month)
1500 texts
1500 MB Data
USB & Car charger
1 year service

Total $108.00

Cobra,

Your setup is quite similar to mine. I will throw out the one ongoing problem I have with my setup to see if you have it also.

I have 2 GV numbers. One goes to the house phones via VOIP and I have this one setup so that outbound callerID from the house line sends the actual GV number -- which is what I want.

On my cellphone howerver, which the 2nd GV number points to, if I make a voice call to someone while on the cell network, I can only send the cellphone callerid - not the GV number. Friends get annoyed when they see the strange number.

Does your setup work so that GV numbers are sent out with CALLERID on both your home line and your mobile line?

Thanks
-gauss

Yes. People I call see my GV numbers on their caller ID for both my home and mobile. For mobile, it's the same answer whether I'm on WiFi or Ting mobile data. I think perhaps this is because we use Ting, which has a fairly elaborate "device setup" functionality on their website. I used this to disable all voice/text on my Ting phone number. For voice and text, I only use their mobile data network in conjunction with Hangouts, and even then only when not in WiFi.

I set it up years ago, but I remember spending quite a lot of time going through the settings on: (1) Google Voice, (2) Hangouts, and (3) Ting. It took several iterations of experimenting and coordinating the 3 settings. But I eventually got it working as desired. I would suggest that you very carefully walk through all the settings again.

I know people notice other folks using their smart phones a lot in public, but why do they assume they are slaves or that most people indeed are slaves to their phones?

OK, I admit if I see someone holding their phone to their ear or attempting to text or read said phone while driving I assume there is something seriously wrong with their judgement. And it may be fairly common but still does not seem to involve most people.

We find that the smart phone is an incredibly useful personal gadget, especially when paired with a watch. But I don’t think that makes us slaves by any means.

OK I might be a slave to my (no cell) iPad, LOL! But before that I always had my nose in a book or computer, so what’s different?

I agree phones are useful, with camera, calculator, wifi connection, and actually phoning, they are tiny computers that are handy.

When I think people are slaves to it, is when I see them grocery shopping and they stop in the aisles staring into their phone and are still their when I walk by again, and peek to see they are texting...

Or they are on an hour long train ride to the city, constantly looking at something on the phone, then get off the train walk up to the street and then walk 6 blocks with their nose in the phone again... It's not an emergency, and they nearly walk into things and others.

I once stopped a phone slave from walking off the curb into oncoming cars, as they don't even look up. They just walk when the person in front of them moves at a crosswalk. (that person was not on a phone and took a risk and then ran). I grabbed their arm and shouted CAR!, they were like "uhhh oh thanks". Then probably texted their "friends" how someone saved their life. :LOL:

I'm a computer slave.

Generally I'm into this stuff for the information content. Just too curious about a lot of things. My social circle is exceedingly small. :blush:

I gave up the land line when I moved back in 2004. Haven't had one, or the expenses that go with one, since then. The company (both prior and present) pay my monthly cell phone bill. The land line was very expensive, inlcuding the taxes. And limited. And I had to keep up several cordless telephones and an answering machine. And pay for electricity for all of these. Once I got a cell phone, I also had to check voice mail, in addition to the answering machine. Life is so much simpler with just a cell/smart phone. I consider it a safety requirement for travel, or walking. GPS is essential for navigation. I can get instantaneous texts for all financial transactions, so I'll know right away if there are any unanticipated charges. I only have to include one phone number for all my accounts. I could go on and on.

But some (like my aging mother with late stage dementia) could not handle a cell phone. I get it. In her last year, I had to switch her cordless phone to a corded phone so she could still use it.

. And I had to keep up several cordless telephones

That right there is the best argument to me for keeping a landline . . . so you leave your phone in the living room, trip over the dog and break your leg, just how far do you want to drag yourself to call for help? Old way you probably had a phone in most rooms.

That right there is the best argument to me for keeping a landline . . . so you leave your phone in the living room, trip over the dog and break your leg, just how far do you want to drag yourself to call for help? Old way you probably had a phone in most rooms.
I have 4 cordless phones blue-toothed to my cell phone, which I leave in the car. The interface is in the garage, next to the car. Works great unless I park too far away to connect. This way, I have phones all over the house and always have a cell phone in the car. Not perfect, but it works for me.

Hi-visibility vest on the dog is easier & cheaper or, bubble wrap yourself, or both. :LOL:

I just tap the phone icon on my Apple Watch and make the call. If my iPhone is in the house with me (why wouldn't it be?) there is a Bluetooth and/or wifi connection between them and it's all seamless. And this is with an older (Series 2) Apple Watch. With the newer ones you can have a cellular line right in the watch (although that costs extra).

I can call using my watch on my wrist.

Probably not much help, but this made me wonder if I could call from my cell phone using GV, most useful when in a foreign country, over wifi, as it will be free to phone folks in USA (yes just like skype except not paying anything).
I downloaded the GV app to my phone, then searched online how to tell my phone to make calls using it, or regular carrier.
So now I have it set so I can make regular calls via my carrier sends my CallerID of regular carrier, or switch at phoning time to wifi call and use GV which sends CallerID of GV.

But what I think you want is to send the GV CallerID all the time ?

You can get around without navigation by reading a map.

I could get rid of my phone except for the connection to my car. I have Apple Play. With that, I get two things I really like and it works seamlessly. First is music. I listen to Pandora and it has my preferences dialed in very well. I would never pay extra for Sirius XM and while I could certainly live with the FM radio, it’s very nice to listen to music while I’m driving. Second is navigation. I seriously don’t know how I got around without it. I think it is THE app for the phone. Voice commands are fantastic, not having to look at your phone or take your eyes off the road is great. With Apple Play, Waze projects onto my car’s screen and works just like a manufacturers installed nav unit. Voice comes through my speakers in the car. I really like it, not only around town, but especially on a trip. I’m hooked.

Probably not much help, but this made me wonder if I could call from my cell phone using GV, most useful when in a foreign country, over wifi, as it will be free to phone folks in USA (yes just like skype except not paying anything).
I downloaded the GV app to my phone, then searched online how to tell my phone to make calls using it, or regular carrier.
So now I have it set so I can make regular calls via my carrier sends my CallerID of regular carrier, or switch at phoning time to wifi call and use GV which sends CallerID of GV.

But what I think you want is to send the GV CallerID all the time ?

Thanks for the writeup, but yes your conclusion is correct.

I really don't want to burn through mobile data MB by making VOIP calls while on the cell network. Maybe I could though. Just keep the calls short, but always answer on the flip phone.

-gauss

Yes... I know it's unthinkable.
...however...
in this world, you cannot function without one.

Trying to verify my identity on my internet provider, the only choice is to have a cell phone.
Echo devices need a cell phone to activate.
... and on and on...

My youngest son convinced me to buy an iPhone in 2012. It was one of those things I had to try to appreciate. I was so frustrated with my Windows Mobile phone..he told me "Dad, iPhones just work!"

We've since ditched our landline, and now each have one on T-Mobile's Unlimited 55 Plan (2 lines $70 includes all taxes). No matter where we are, we can stay in touch when we want to, or shut them off when we don't. When we are out of the country, no extra costs except for $0.25/minute voice calls outside North America. Unlimited text & 2G data around the world.

Love them, or hate them, iOS or Android, Smartphones are here to stay.

We don't leave home without them :)

You can get around without navigation by reading a map.

Not even close. GPS with voice commands and active maps on the screen in your car are so much more effective and safer. Just one example. A map may tell you to turn right on ABC Street, yet ABC Street does not have a sign at the intersection. You’re driving and you go right by it. With GPS, the street shows up on the map and the voice tells you to turn in 50 feet. It’s basically the same, if not better than having a co-pilot.

DW and I used to drive using AAA trip tix. Arguing typically ensued. GPS is good for marital relationships.

Yes... I know it's unthinkable.
...however...
in this world, you cannot function without one.

Trying to verify my identity on my internet provider, the only choice is to have a cell phone.
Echo devices need a cell phone to activate.
... and on and on...

You can use a computer to do the ID thing and activate devices. I have.

I do have a cell phone but I usually do most tasks on my laptop.

I pay Ooma about $5 a month and have the device hooked up to a old fashioned four phone remote system. I figure I can crawl to a phone from anywhere in my house. It was used to call 911 once though not by me. Well worth the cost.

Don't do smart phones. If you want big brother to control your life, smart phone is the direct line. My wife has one and I let her put on the GPS but I don't trust it since it tried to take me 20 miles out of my way.

Think about freeing your life from being controlled by a machine! I'd rather live a peaceful life without control from who knows what!

I do not have a cell phone. When it becomes evident that I may have a use for a cell phone, I will drive to any number of stores in the area and purchase one. Our land line works fine now.

Until that time, I shall await for the wisdom that comes with old age.

I do not have a cell phone. When it becomes evident that I may have a use for a cell phone, I will drive to any number of stores in the area and purchase one. ........
What if you need it because your car broke down or was in an accident?

Back
Top Bottom