30 days - minimum wage

Caroline said:
Well, JG, I believe I invited JUSTIN to provide me with an assignment... but out of respect for one of my elders, I'll consider your suggestion also... ;)

Maybe you can help me to be sure I've got the right Ann Coulter, though.  Given that I'd never heard of her I did a quick internet search and came up with a few quotes from someone with that name, including this one:

To a disabled Vietnam vet: "People like you caused us to lose that war."---MSNBC

Is THIS the Ann Coulter you mean, JG?  I'd hate to trundle down to the library and do the reading, only to find out I'd got the wrong person...

Caroline

Hello! Ann Coulter says some outragious stuff (she is selling books and
herself). Anyway, don't know about that particular quote. She is very
high profile right now so it would be hard to miss her. If you find her
too "over the top" just let me know I prefer Ayn Rand, Huxley and
Orwell. They are more cerebral and amazingly they saw it coming
decades before the s..t hit the fan. Back to Ann, I think of her as a
right wing version of Hillary. Looking forward to your critique.

JG

2 years ago while in law school I had the opportunity to speak with Ann Coulter during a small, private reception with about 20 other people. I found it impossible to make small talk with her. She seemed pretty shallow. She was probably just putting up her public attack dog persona, but it was hard to tell. I don’t know if her books are different, but when she speaks it seems that her main purpose is to cause conflict and enrage the moderates and liberals. Her argumentative style boils down to ad hominem attacks and logically flawed reasoning (in many cases). This would be typical of her line of reasoning: Bill Clinton is immoral because of the Monica thing. Bill Clinton is a liberal. Therefore, liberals are immoral.

On the other hand, she sometimes makes a valid point. I do like that she doesn’t feel compelled to be politically correct.

She is frequently a talking head on Fox News. Ann makes great sound bytes.

I think her most popular book is Treason.

She did autograph a poster for me. Of course, our group paid $25,000 to have her speak for an evening.

Ann is just selling herself. She is inflammitory on purpose, and not much use for a constructive debate.

Now JG's other suggestion, Ayn Rand, is a much better choice, IMHO. While I don't agree with everything she writes, Ayn Rand actually is an intellectual who furthered the conversation. I couldn't put Atlas shrugged down. Good stuff.

Ah yes - Ann Rand

Forty years ago - a lot of girls in the old Pac NW read Ann Rand - and lot were - were well - hot!

Thanks for the memories Ann.

Still a grumpy old blue collar Dem - no matter what my assets.

MARGE: Maggie…likes a bottle of warm milk before nap time.

MS. SINCLAIR: A bottle? Mrs. Simpson, do you know what a baby’s saying when she reaches for a bottle?

MARGE: “Ba Ba?”

MS. SINCLAIR: She’s saying “I am a leech!” Our aim here is to develop the bottle within.

MARGE: That sounds awfully harsh. —conversation between Marge and the proprietor of the Ayn Rand School for Tots, The Simpsons (1992)

I've been reading through the posts, and when a book sounds interesting, I switch to the IE with the library's catalog open, request the book, and in a week or so someone will call to tell me it's ready to be picked up. Good service for free.

I enjoyed Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead -- read it just as an interesting novel rather than a political statement.

TromboneAl said:
I've been reading through the posts, and when a book sounds interesting, I switch to the IE with the library's catalog open, request the book, and in a week or so someone will call to tell me it's ready to be picked up. Good service for free.

I do the same thing. My library also has a "My list" feature where we can store books we want to read in the future. I found out that the library can get almost any book through their interlibrary loan process. I had to use this service for the 4 pillars book. For some reason the library didn't have any copies at all (they do have 400 copies of Nickel and Dimed... hmmm... liberal conspiracy I think...).

Checking books out from the library saves money, and doesn't require storage of books I'll probably never read again.

I've got library holds on Ann Coulter's "Treason" and "How to talk to a liberal, if you must"

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom