Amazon /USPS Tracking Issue

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
so what happens if an Amazon package scheduled to be delivered yesterday (sunday) is not here either yesterday or today but the AMZN/USPS tracking says it was delivered yesterday at 3PM and left at the front door?

I called USPS and they said they would have to contact the carrier but no followup from them so far.

Check with your neighbors to see if any of them have it. The one time this happened to me the package had been mis-delivered to my next door neighbor.

I had this problem and I contacted neighbors to no avail. I notified Amazon and they send a new item free. A few days later the original package showed up obviously opened by someone else, but merchandise was intact.

I looked up this problem recently but I forgot if it was Amazon or Walmart and who the carrier was. I think with the shipping method that doesn't require a signature, the buyer just has to make a claim that he didn't receive the package, then he will be refunded or it will be re-shipped. There are terms for all this but I forgot. But I do remember UPS's forms not working for me when I tried filing a claim. Their website says they prefer the seller file the claim, but they allow the buyer to. I wasn't able to submit it though, so go straight to the seller with your complaint.

I had this happen once. I check with the neighbors but no sign of the package. The package arrived about 2-3 days later. Upon research, I found that the delivery notification is sent after a fixed time after it is scanned at the post office. However, the package may not yet have been put out to delivery. So hang tight for another couple of days and it will probably show up.

I made a claim on a missing package once and Amazon sent a replacement. The package was erroneously reported delivered before the carrier dropped it off. I was home and knew it wasn't delivered so I contacted Amazon immediately. The package arrived several hours later but Amazon didn't want me to bother returning it. Since then I have noticed that a lot of carriers file the delivered report from the truck before they walk down the block, sometimes they must be filing it when they get in the area. Now I won't file a missing package report until the next day.

As I understand the front door delivery processes, if the carrier reports it dropped at your door the seller is not obligated to give you a refund if you claim it hasn't arrived. A fair number of packages are stolen from front steps and that is technically on you.

Last edited:
so what happens if an Amazon package scheduled to be delivered yesterday (sunday) is not here either yesterday or today but the AMZN/USPS tracking says it was delivered yesterday at 3PM and left at the front door?

I called USPS and they said they would have to contact the carrier but no followup from them so far.

Contact Amazon. They will usually deal with it.

I had this happen once. I check with the neighbors but no sign of the package. The package arrived about 2-3 days later. Upon research, I found that the delivery notification is sent after a fixed time after it is scanned at the post office. However, the package may not yet have been put out to delivery. So hang tight for another couple of days and it will probably show up.

Our tracked package delivery notifications are sent after the package has been scanned at point of delivery, not before. We are always tracking them.

I have had 3 Amazon orders say they were delivered but they were still in the delivery system. I checked tracking Monday morning on two packages that were to be delivered Monday. Tracking said the packages were delivered Monday at 2:17am and 2:27am. They weren't delivered until 4:00pm in the afternoon.
I don't know why they set up the system to over promise and under deliver. The packages were delivered by USPS, Amazon knows USPS doesn't deliver at 2am, and they know that most daily mail is delivered by 5pm. They should promise 5pm and over deliver earlier. I'm sure this delivered time stamp causes them unneccesary phone calls and chats.
After writing this, I wonder if the USPS system feeds scans directly to the Amazon tracking site, meaning the only scan available is the last scan within the USPS postal facility. I don't think there is any scan at delivery by USPS.

I have never had that issue. Of course the delivery time has gotten longer but I understand that issue. I did wait ~4 months to get a pair of shoes that I ordered. I was totally surprised they showed up and thought it was my lose.

Good luck but I would be patient for a while and see if the package shows up.

First, look on the actual tracker website, not what amazon is saying. They translate the codes from all the carriers and don't always get it perfect.

Was this shipped by amazon or by a 3rd party (assuming amazon for the next questions).

If the number starts with TBA -that's amazon's own delivery service, so nothing to check but it should have a photo of the delivery.

If it's 9- all numbers, that's USPS - check their tracking directly on the USPS site. If THAT says delivered, ask your carrier today what happened. You can also ask your postmaster at your location for a GPS scan of the delivery.

Either way, after 3 days amazon will consider it Not Received if they are the shipper and you say it's not there. They ask you to wait a couple days because it's not outside normal for carriers to mark delivered before it actually is.

It happened to me last month. Sale was to a 3rd party seller. I got a credit from Amazon and a replacement from the seller.

Here are some notes I made when I had the problem with an Amazon package that UPS tracking claimed was "Received By: REL 63F, Left At: Front Door." Emphasis mine.

(No, I'm not Mr. Rel in Apt. 63-F. I think REL means Shipper Release.)

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/sri/glo-shprls.page

Home > Help and Support Center > What is Shipper Release?

What is Shipper Release?

Selecting Shipper Release authorizes UPS to release the package or letter on the first delivery attempt without receiving a signature. When Shipper Release is selected, the shipper accepts liability for the loss of the package after delivery has been made as provided for in the UPS Tariff, and Terms and Conditions of Service in effect at the time of the shipment. Note: Shipper Release is available from US50 and Puerto Rico origins to US50 and Puerto Rico destinations.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/missing-package/532669/5

Terms of Service

These terms of service apply to Shipper Release:

• UPS will make only one delivery attempt.
• UPS will not obtain a signature upon delivery.
• A UPS delivery record will be conclusive proof of delivery.
The shipper accepts liability for any loss or damage to the package after delivery.

Last edited:
This happened to me once. Shortly before Christmas. Woodworking clamps that I needed to make a Christmas gift.

Amazon delivery via USPS was not delivered to our house. I called our post office, and they found that they delivered it to a neighbor. They said that they would contact the neighbor and get my package back. They would not tell me who the neighbor was who got my package.

I waited about a week and contacted USPS again. They said that they left a note to the people who received my package, asking for it to be put back in the mailbox so that the mail carrier could deliver to me. USPS got no response from the neighbor.

I was irate. I went into the post office and asked to speak to the postmaster. I explained the situation and told him that I wanted my money back from USPS. (About $15) He said that I should have bought insurance for the delivery. Finally he gave up and gave me $15 out of his pocket. We both agreed that I would pay him the $15 back when he got my package.

I couldn't wait any longer, so I bought some clamps from a local big box store for around $25 so that I could finish my woodworking project by Christmas.

Then the postmaster called and said that he had my clamps at the post office. So I brought him his $15 and picked up my clamps (that had been opened).

I cringe every time I see an Amazon purchase that is being delivered USPS.

Last edited:
Finally he gave up and gave me $15 out of his pocket. We both agreed that I would pay him the $15 back when he got my package.

That makes me want to move to a small town. The only time customers in Brooklyn get to speak to the postmaster is when we can see her within 6 feet of the counter so the girl at the window can't say "she's not here" and even then it's 50/50. Suggest that she give you a loan and she'll call the cops. And that was in the good old days when NYC had cops.

Here are some notes I made when I had the problem with an Amazon package that UPS tracking claimed was "Received By: REL 63F, Left At: Front Door." Emphasis mine.

(No, I'm not Mr. Rel in Apt. 63-F. I think REL means Shipper Release.)
Those quotes appear reassuring but I wonder if they actually matter to us. A friend who headed shipping and receiving for a couple of companies told me that the standard shipping agreement left the receiver liable in these cases. So either he had it wrong, or the UPS release is simply leaving UPS out of the loop with the shipper and the dispute between the shipper and the receiver (us) is still up in the air.

I had a dispute a year ago which took 3 or 4 weeks to resolve. A UPS 2 day envelop was shipped to my home with some time sensitive material inside, dropped off by UPS, and we never saw it. It’s a safe area and the weather was stormy, so the envelop could have blown away. Lots of landscaping workers as well, so it also could have walked off. Or just stayed with the driver.

During the dispute, UPS deliberately misrepresented my conversation with them, declaring to the vendor I had confirmed receipt of the product and agreed the case was closed, both of which were untrue and impossible to conclude from my comments.

When I disputed payment with the CC, they refused. Their position was that “I had agreed that UPS dropping off the envelope was equivalent to my taking delivery”, I therefore took delivery, and the subsequent loss was my personal problem. This was never resolved, even though no such agreement exists.

The vendor eventually agreed to refund the purchase, which they should have done when first made aware of the loss. They suffered no loss if the contents were unused. I’m not sure why they agreed, but my complaint to the state attorney general consumer protection office may have influenced them.

Leaving packages on a doorstep is a labor saving device for the shipper to lower cost and shorten delivery times. Loss or theft should be between the vendor and shipping agent, but it’s no surprise they will make every effort to push that onto the consumer.

Those quotes appear reassuring but I wonder if they actually matter to us. A friend who headed shipping and receiving for a couple of companies told me that the standard shipping agreement left the receiver liable in these cases. So either he had it wrong, or the UPS release is simply leaving UPS out of the loop with the shipper and the dispute between the shipper and the receiver (us) is still up in the air.

He's probably right in practice but buyers who get to choose the delivery method and choose UPS should be able to expect the service in UPS's terms. When the seller's terms are different, that complicates things but I didn't see anything in Amazon's "standard shipping agreement" (if they have one) that precludes UPS's terms.

Here are UPS's terms Effective July 12, 2020, direct from the formal terms (pretty much the same as my previous quote)

28. Shipper Release
A Shipper may request that UPS release a Shipment on the first Delivery attempt. When Shipper Release is selected, UPS will make only one Delivery attempt, a signature will not be obtained upon Delivery, and a UPS Delivery record showing a completed Shipper Release delivery shall be conclusive proof that Delivery was completed. Shipper Release is provided solely at the Shipper’s risk of loss or damage arising from the release of the Shipment by UPS and UPS will not be liable for any damages arising from the release of the Shipment.

Anyone know what Amazon's terms are on this? If it's just "contact us for a delivery problem" then I'd argue they're liable because of UPS's terms.

I have this happen frequently with Amazon. The tracker will says package delivered but it was not. I do nothing and the package shows up at my day in a couple of days.

I have this happen frequently with Amazon. The tracker will says package delivered but it was not. I do nothing and the package shows up at my day in a couple of days.

As predicted by this model, package showed up today (2 days later).
Disappointed in USPS........no phone call after my call to them yesterday;
when I called them today, the phone was either not answered or busy every time I called................seems to be no correlation between the tracking system which said delivered and the actual event.

The only star here was Amazon who , like Costco, stood behind their product and offered yesterday to either give me a refund or they would re-ship the product. I told them I would wait a short while to see what happened.

Thought AMZN was a star compared to USPS after a recent delivery notice and package received. Did not notice at the time but there is also a photo showing package on our front porch and no mistaking whose junk is in the background.

However got a package delivered notice today which was strange since it said it was delivered to the mail room. This is a single family home so no mail room.
Double-checked the address and it was correct so called AMZN. After some time, rep said package had actually not been delivered yet so I guess there are mavericks in both the USPS and AMZN delivery services.

Yesterday, a package showed up opened without content. I called Amazon helpline. They have no option to replace it since that would require a return. But there is nothing to return.

So, they refund the money. I reordered the product.

It's interesting to see how these odd-ball situations get recorded on the one-size-fits-all tracking systems. Our Post Office sometimes has a part-time or contract person make the rounds with just packages, leaving the regular carrier to do normal mail only.

They don't always complete the whole route before quitting time. There's no check box on their screen for "I've still got packages left in the truck" so they check the one which indicates they could not access the property. We have no fences and we're on a fairly busy street, so that had us really scratching our heads until the regular carrier finally admitted what was really happening.

As I understand the front door delivery processes, if the carrier reports it dropped at your door the seller is not obligated to give you a refund if you claim it hasn't arrived. A fair number of packages are stolen from front steps and that is technically on you.
I don't think that's correct. Remember that, legally, there are two separate and completely distinct business contracts here. One is your contract of sale with the etailer (e.g., Amazon), the other is the contract of delivery services that the etailer makes with the delivery service (e.g., UPS). Our contract with Amazon is for the purchase of an item, we have no liability or responsibility for its delivery. If we don't receive the item, the contract is not fulfilled, full stop, in which case we are entitled to a refund, and credit cards make that very easy now. If an etailer receives an unusual number of refund requests from a particular customer, they can always ban that customer, the way retailers do when a customer returns too many items (which is sometimes a shoplifting scam).

They could always require a signature, but that takes more of the delivery service's time, and so costs slightly more, so most etailers skip that and accept the additional losses that may partially offset their savings on shipping.

It's interesting to see how these odd-ball situations get recorded on the one-size-fits-all tracking systems. Our Post Office sometimes has a part-time or contract person make the rounds with just packages, leaving the regular carrier to do normal mail only.

They don't always complete the whole route before quitting time. There's no check box on their screen for "I've still got packages left in the truck" so they check the one which indicates they could not access the property. We have no fences and we're on a fairly busy street, so that had us really scratching our heads until the regular carrier finally admitted what was really happening.
USPS is very consistent with packages with my address on them. They immediately return them to the seller and, of course, mark them as delivered. They obviously don't have a "We don't deliver to that address" box to check. The different boxes they do check range from funny to strange. Amazon is not supposed to send stuff via USPS, but I have had to rework that issue with them from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom