Anchorage Earthquake

I happened to be visiting Anchorage a few years ago when they had a 7.1 quake. I never saw buildings shake and sway like that before -- pretty scary.

Still waiting for something big on the west coast. The rest of the pacific ring of fire has been rattling for awhile but the US west coast has been comparatively quiet... stresses have to be building.
Yup. And those who have been foolish enough to build on the San Andreas fault will be expecting the rest of us to pay for their folly.

My mother lives in Anchorage and was able to chat with her for a couple of minutes. She said in her 26 years of living there, she hasn't felt anything like it and it scared the you know what out of her. Thankfully, they cancelled the tsunami warning, so I can rest a little easier now.

She isn't sure if her home was damaged or not since she is at w*rk.

Just got a text from our friend in Anchorage. He said all is well...no damage to his motorcycles...:rolleyes:

These have been induced by man over the last several years. Thankfully, the government put in some tough regulations about injecting water into the ground and it has reduced the quakes by a large margin.

That graph was the last 30 days!

Yup. And those who have been foolish enough to build on the San Andreas fault will be expecting the rest of us to pay for their folly.

Yup, just like those who keep rebuilding in flood-prone areas and areas subject to massive hurricane damage.

Seems like everyday there is a disaster of one type or another.:peace:

That graph was the last 30 days!

Yes, they are continuing, but the magnitude is relatively benign. If you go back and look at them in the 2013-2015 period of time, the picture is quite a bit different. Fracking hasn't stopped (and isn't going to) but the restrictions in place to guard against strong earthquakes are much stronger.

These have been induced by man over the last several years. Thankfully, the government put in some tough regulations about injecting water into the ground and it has reduced the quakes by a large margin.
I hope.

My last night in KC 2016 we were awakened by a quake centered in OK. Never been in one before and I don't think I want to repeat it.

Per the LA Times, the USGS upgraded the earthquake magnitude to 7.0. That's similar in magnitude to the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake here.

I talked to a friend and said for them and thousands is the ice on rivers and lakes etc. are questionable now and are unsafe. Many use river channels as their highways not good in a lot of ways now.

I will say the US Gov. isn't going to do anything about fracking. Big oil has US just where they want them. Oil gets what they want in this country one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom