Any other snorers here?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yes I snore. I did have a sleep test - no sleep apnea. The only thing that seems to help with the snoring is wearing nasal strips at night. Has anyone here been able to reduce or eliminate snoring?

Yes I snore. I did have a sleep test - no sleep apnea. The only thing that seems to help with the snoring is wearing nasal strips at night. Has anyone here been able to reduce or eliminate snoring?

I snored terribly and my wife was ready to kill me or move me into the guest room due to lack of sleep. Not liking eoither of those options, I was tested for sleep apnea and diagnosed with a mild case. I had never had my tonsils removed and my ENT said everything in my throat was large and so I really was packed with excess tissue . After looking at all the options I elected to have a UPP done. My ENT removed my tonsils, adenoids, uvula and a small portion of my palate. I also had a deviated septum which also contributed to the snoring and had that fixed at the same time. The procedure itself was no problem but the recovery was painful and took two weeks. The first week was especially bad.

Post surgery, I have not snored during the last 2 1/2 years and both my wife and I sleep much better now.

Hopefully, you can solve your snoring problem without having to resort to such a drastic remedy. Good luck!

I snore less with my head raised via an adjustable bed.

I snored terribly and my wife was ready to kill me or move me into the guest room due to lack of sleep. Not liking eoither of those options, I was tested for sleep apnea and diagnosed with a mild case. I had never had my tonsils removed and my ENT said everything in my throat was large and so I really was packed with excess tissue . After looking at all the options I elected to have a UPP done. My ENT removed my tonsils, adenoids, uvula and a small portion of my palate. I also had a deviated septum which also contributed to the snoring and had that fixed at the same time. The procedure itself was no problem but the recovery was painful and took two weeks. The first week was especially bad. Post surgery, I have not snored during the last 2 1/2 years and both my wife and I sleep much better now. Hopefully, you can solve your snoring problem without having to resort to such a drastic remedy. Good luck!

Are you saying having your tonsils can contribute to snoring? I never had mine removed. When I sleep on my back I snore, but when I sleep on my side or stomach which I usually do, I do not snore.

When I sleep on my back I snore, but when I sleep on my side or stomach which I usually do, I do not snore.
This is my experience also. Sleep on side =no snoring.

Ha

I've been known to snore, and pretty window-rattlingly too. When I lost ~15 lbs I pretty much stopped. I can still shake the walls if I've had too much (or just enough) to drink. From my research having poor muscle tone in your throat can cause it. I never used to snore when I was singing regularly, nor when I was playing my sax. Even when I started messing around with DWs didgeridoo my snoring would stop. The Breathe Right strips helped too. But for me the best solution is to keep losing weight, keep singing and playing, and sleep on the sofa when I've been partying.

I snored until I lost a lot of weight. Not since, according to my wife.

If I don't have my handy dandy auto CPAP device - I snore like a freight train. Unfortunately I had a pretty bad case of sleep apnea. I have adapted the CPAP as part of my routine and I hardly notice it. Until they come up with another option for me - I guess I am stuck with my device.

I don't snore...DW strongly disagrees.
SHE snores like an old dog... DW strongly disagrees.

But...she's right, of course; she's always right. :cool:

I don't snore...DW strongly disagrees.
SHE snores like an old dog... DW strongly disagrees....

+1 to all. But then one morning I woke up and she was snoring in my ear. My cellphone was on my nightstand so now I have the video to prove it. Our kids happened to be home that morning so I played the video on the big HDTV with the volume turned up and we had a good laugh.

+1. I snored for decades. I even had a stupid procedure where the ENT doc vaporized my uvula with a laser. That helped for a while and then the snoring came back. Two years ago I dropped from 195 to 162 and the snoring ceased and has not returned.

I also snored enough to drive me to sleep in a separate room from the wife. I tried the pure sleep, which is a mouth guard type thing you soak in hot water, then mould to your teeth with your lower jaw slightly extended. Took a couple weeks to get used to wearing, but completely eliminated my snoring.

https://puresleep.com/s30/homepage.php

- John

This may seem trivial to most folks, but snoring essentially destroyed my marriage. I couldn't deal with the lack of sleep, and DH blamed me for moving first to the couch and then to the guest bedroom when he refused to do anything about the snoring. He took it as a personal affront - if I loved him, I would put up with the snoring. I tried every type of earplug I could find plus slept with a pillow over my head and a white noise machine set at full volume before I finally admitted defeat.

This may seem trivial to most folks, but snoring essentially destroyed my marriage.

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine.
He snored badly and his wife complained about it enough that he finally got it fixed by having a surgeon use a laser to carve out part of his upper palate around the uvula. That actually worked, and she said his snoring was essentially nonexistent after the surgery. Unfortunately, she left him anyway a few months later for reasons unknown to me.

Same thing happened to me. Snored like a train, lost a ton of weight, snoring disappeared.

Now, have a gained a little back and guess what, apparently I snore once or twice a week again..

Are you saying having your tonsils can contribute to snoring? I never had mine removed. When I sleep on my back I snore, but when I sleep on my side or stomach which I usually do, I do not snore.

It did for a guy that was a mentor of mine. He had more done, probably what Btravlin was referring to. This guy claimed it changed his life.

Another fellow I know claims he lost a year of his life(he was there just couldn't stay awake, or remember anything), due to sleep apnea.

MRG

I was going to mention the weight bit also. Seems whenever I get over 200 lbs I start snoring. The nasal strips worked, but they were a PIA. Cheaper to lose weight - About 189 is ideal (for me).

No tonsils, FWIW

Back
Top Bottom