Anybody a retirement druggie?

Which best describes your use of recreational drugs (other than alcohol)

• I was a druggie as a kid, but grew out of it (no recent use)

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • I've never done recreational drugs

Votes: 105 60.3%
  • I tried recreational drugs after retirement, but didn't like it.

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I tried recreational drugs after retirement and have continued to use them

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • I've used recreational drugs throughout my life

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters
The first time I ever consumed an opiate pain killer was at age 26 when I had a tooth that needed a root canal. The dentist prescribed Percocet (Oxycodone/Tylenol) and it was very effective at reducing the pain. Since I still did drugs recreationally at the time, I ate a couple of these tablets "for fun" over the next week, and then stopped, and then didn't get to sleep at all that night. At this point the thought popped into my head "Gee, if I just ate another Percocet I'd feel great and get right back to sleep". Fortunately, immediately after that thought the lightbulb finally went on over my head and I stopped cold turkey. Another sleepless night and I was fine.

That introduction to the mechanism of addiction was a scary learning experience for me (and one that I'd never experienced with any other type of drug). I have consumed opiates for relief of pain associated with surgery or dental work in the years since then, but I have been very careful to take only what I absolutely need. I don't want to hear that oh so rational sounding little voice in my head ever again.

I was fervently anti drugs in the 60's and had hardly touched alcohol as well as my mother and step father were alcoholics at the time. After I graduated HS in 71 I finally tried some MJ and it took a couple of tries before I started getting a buzz from it. Ran with a different crowd after graduation. We also tried some LSD which was a huge step and became our recreational drug of choice as it was a reasonable 2$ a hit for Purple Haze, Yellow/Orange Sunshine, microdots or whatever was available at the moment.

Then life happened and the Vietnam draft with me the lucky recipient of draft number 39. I enlisted in the AF and thus ended my days of drug use, just under 1 year as I needed a security clearance in my career field. I did do a few doobies after my 9 years in the AF but not for long as I didn't want to risk my job for it. Subject to random drug tests for a lot of my working life but that wasn't the real deterrent. I just couldn't afford to not be at 100% and work/live effectively.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention that although I had draft number 39, I would never have been drafted. My lottery was in 1972 for induction in 1973. 1972 was the last year draftees were inducted and the last number was 95. Still one of the best moves I made in my life.

I saw too much tragedy with drugs when I was young to be tempted. The first 11 years of my life I grew up in a neighborhood where the sight of "junkies" was common. Coming across an OD victim with a needle still in his arm when I was in grade school, men and woman staggering down the street, sometimes naked, high on you know what and oblivious to what was around them... you get the picture. A friend and I once tried a cigarette when we were 10, could not get past a couple of puffs without feeling disgusted, so smoking anything never appealed to me. Those impressions at that young age last a lifetime.

In high school and college I had plenty of friends who did drugs. I chose to be "above suspicion" in these matters, and would simply leave from wherever, or separate myself, whenever the drugs came out. When our college radio station gave out its senior mock awards, I received the "how did he work here and never get high?" honor :).

One reason DW and I are married is due to a situation in college where I likely saved her from a sexual assault or worse when she was high and drunk (after which she never did drugs or get drunk again). We were dating at the time and she actually broke up with me because at the time she thought I was too "prudish" and stopping her from "having fun" - until several of her friends later pointed to her, when she had sobered up, what I saved her from. Some even told her "if you are serious about breaking up with him, I'd like to date him, any guy who protects a woman like that is worth going out with" :).

I have run into too many of those friends in my later adult years where it was clear that drugs impacted their life in a negative manner. When a woman who in high school you thought would be a model is now offering to go to your hotel room and do anything you want, clearly for money to get high... it is a cold slap in the face.

So... no thanks :).

Thanks, you said it best.

I smoked pot in college -- sometimes none for months or even years at a time, but one summer I hung out with the "wrong crowd" (who mostly went on to become titans of industry) and got high every day.

Did some after graduation. Got married and didn't do any for years. Got un-married. I live in Colorado so there are plenty of opportunities, and I sometimes get high with my son.

Now I'm doing it hard-core... THC is proven to kill cancer cells. It takes massive doses to do the job. I use "non-traditional" delivery methods that significantly reduce the high -- hint, not inhaled or consumed orally -- but it's still difficult to function with that level of THC in your system. I'm still supposed to w*rk occasionally, but with that stuff in me, I'm no good for anything more challenging than scrolling through yootoob videos.

But lately I'm on the really hard stuff, $1000 a day. And it's not even fun. Cancer sux.

Last edited:
I'll put it out there.
I did all the fun stuff and believe I inherited compulsive behaviors from my dad who was a professional drinker. He did live to get sober for a little while.
I chose to quit at the age of 30.
then I got a job where they do regular drug testing which was no big deal since I'd quit everything anyway.
Now I have been dry so long that I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole idea. I do know that I'm fully capable of drinking too much. As to the marijuana, once I don't have to be tested anymore I may use some edibles with lots of CBD if I have pain problems because I know that this is effective.
as far as getting high though, probably not comfortable doing it.

I found myself drinking too much in my early 20s, and quit at age 26. Haven’t touched any intoxicant since. Four years ago, the town voted in favor of recreational cannabis sales. Despite the dire warnings that we would devolve into the dope capitol of the region, no pot shop has opened anywhere nearby. If it ever does, I’ll probably try it.

Ah, I remember now that for 24 hours after surgery, they gave me Dilaudid intravenously. The pump was automated, and would dispense on demand when I pressed a button, but only up to a certain dosage. No euphoric effects that I could tell. It certainly helped lessen the pain.

The Oxycodone pills were for after 24 hours, and later when I got home.

PS. Even if one craves Dilaudid or Oxycodone, do they cause you to go crazy and bounce off the wall like hallucinogenic substances like mushrooms do? From what I read, they do not, but then what do I know?

No, but your body, mostly extremities are extremely uncomfortable. And you know that just a little opioid will fix it. A least that is my experience with hydrocodone that I took for back pain. I quit 3 or 4 times just to show myself that I could. The first time, I just tapered down to nothing over a couple of weeks, it was easy. Another time I just ran out and could not get more for a probably about a week, it was no fun, especially at night, by the 5th day I was back to normal. Did that a couple of times, it makes you want to plan well. Glad to say after 9 years, something finally changed and the pain is much less on most days. I saw 3 surgeons over that 9 years, but never opted to have the surgery. The last one said he can not see anything that he could go after to solve my pain. Just didn't know what to operate on.

Now back in the 70s----
I had a neighbor that worked in a pharmaceutical company, he got, (stole) what we called crystal methadrine, from the factory. I don't know if it is the same as meth that is so popular now, but I did like it and knew it was a problem, I shared with all my room mates just so I wouldn't have my stash. Then I had to tell one, hey you need to stop and sleep, you can't stay up day after day, she finally did. Then I didn't get anymore!

Then there was the time I lived in the WMU student ghetto, sex, drugs and rock and roll. :dance: A good time was had by all!

Tried pot many yrs ago and all I can recall are bad headaches from it. I'm an extreme lightweight and don't even take pain pills when I had major surgeries. Only motrin. Pot is illegal in my state but if it were to legalize and it's true that it really does help with pains, I'd consider trying it.

I got a MMJ card here in CO at legalization. I can barely smoke flower....the new strains are are so THC-rich. I'll take a 10mg edible every night to help me get to sleep. I'll also occasionally vape flower or use a vape cartridge. My usage is more therapeutic vs. recreational. I don't really like a strong THC high - too much introspection, paranoia, etc.

In my opinion, the future of cannabis is micro-dosing for sleep, pain management, anxiety control and the like. Also, I expect to see THC combined with other beneficial plant medicines and minor cannabinoids (CBD, CBN, CBG, etc.) for the entourage effect.

I had a bad reaction to opioids. I can take them in limited quantities for surgical pain, but the side effects are such that I have no concern for developing a problem with them. I am fortunate to not have pain issues ( knocks on wood ), and the over the counter meds are plenty adequate for me so far.
I know that CBD edibles are really effective for chronic arthritis pain. DW has rheumatoid and all sorts of messed up joints, and CBD has been a miracle treatment for her. She used to be awakened at night with hand, elbow, sometimes knee pain and now, nothing. She sleeps all night.
I don't need them for my arthritis, and could not take them anyway due to drug testing. There is always a little bit of THC in there and it is really more effective that way. It is not enough to get high at all, but would fail a drug test.

I don't know how kids do it now as the MJ products are so super strong than in the old days when all you could get was mexican stink weed.... todays stuff will knock you out if your not careful....

How about a category: tried recreational drugs as a teen but never got hooked

Out of the scores of druggies I knew in high school and college I don't know any who were "hooked". Some regularly used drugs for years and then just tapered off as they got older, but I don't think that really qualifies as any definition of addiction.

Most "soft" drugs (marijuana, most hallucinogens) have very limited potential for physical addiction and were the primary drugs available when I was a teenager. There was some coke and speed around, but I don't know anyone who had the resources to buy enough of these to get addicted as a teen. Fortunately heroin never made it to my high school or college (so far as I'm aware) or my experience with addiction might have been different.

Yup. Just need a couple hits...

Out of the scores of druggies I knew in high school and college I don't know any who were "hooked". Some regularly used drugs for years and then just tapered off as they got older, but I don't think that really qualifies as any definition of addiction.

Most "soft" drugs (marijuana, most hallucinogens) have very limited potential for physical addiction and were the primary drugs available when I was a teenager. There was some coke and speed around, but I don't know anyone who had the resources to buy enough of these to get addicted as a teen. Fortunately heroin never made it to my high school or college (so far as I'm aware) or my experience with addiction might have been different.

Yup. Me too.

My whole circle of school chums (U of M, go Blue) did all the stuff I did. LSD, mushrooms, cocaine, pot, speed and downers too.

We're all retired millionaires - :)

^ Yea, I got the t-shirt.
s-l1600.jpg

I used to drink a lot (Beer) in my late teens through about 30-35yo. Pot and other drugs just never really interested me. I hated the stink of pot and most of the users I'd been around never made a positive impression on me. Then, I got busted for DUI at 30-35yo (right after BAC was lowered to .08%. I "blew" .082 BAC). I feared I had become an alcoholic because of everyday (evening) drinking and would suffer withdrawal because of probation. But, I stopped drinking cold turkey without any problems. Been dry since then and actually have no taste for it now. When I think back on all the money I spent on beer during my younger years..........

I have an older sister (70yo) who was a hippie when younger. She did all of it - Pot, LSD, speed, etc. She never got addicted to it, though. Had a successful career and has retired with plenty of cash, big house, travel, etc. She and her husband still smoke pot regularly. She finally got me to try pot last year (joint) and it just didn't seem to have any effect on me. It's just as well, I figure. No loss.

Interesting that hallucinogens are under study as therapeutic drugs for end-of life care. Johns Hopkins Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research is in phase III clinical trials to approve psilocybin for market as a prescription medication. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/psychedelics-in-palliative-care/

That is wonderful and exciting, given how mental illness is so chronic in our society. If so many of us here experienced life-long well-being benefits from our amateur psychedelics experimentation in youth, even in uncontrolled party settings, one can only imagine the benefits for anxiety and depression sufferers through guided experiences by a qualified therapist in a controlled, safe, alcohol-free setting.

“For some who struggle with mental illness, treatment with psychedelic medicine may not be about living well with illness; it may provide some with a treatment that allows them to live free from illness.

For example, research shows that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy has a 76 percent success rate for patients with post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms, measured by remission one year after treatment.

For people trying to quit smoking, treatment with psilocybin helped 80 percent of people stay smoke-free six months after treatment, while traditional treatments are only effective for 10–35 percent of people. And robust clinical research is rehabilitating the reputation of the previously maligned “hippie” drug LSD as study results demonstrate its efficacy in treating end-of-life anxiety and alcoholism.

These “hug drugs,” as empathogenic (empathy creating) medications are called, often provide rapid transformation from pain and grief into wellness and emotional health, from isolation and sadness into connection and appreciation. It can also be transformation that lasts.”

That is wonderful and exciting, given how mental illness is so chronic in our society. If so many of us here experienced life-long well-being benefits from our amateur psychedelics experimentation in youth, even in uncontrolled party settings, one can only imagine the benefits for anxiety and depression sufferers through guided experiences by a qualified therapist in a controlled, safe, alcohol-free setting.

“For some who struggle with mental illness, treatment with psychedelic medicine may not be about living well with illness; it may provide some with a treatment that allows them to live free from illness.

For example, research shows that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy has a 76 percent success rate for patients with post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms, measured by remission one year after treatment.

For people trying to quit smoking, treatment with psilocybin helped 80 percent of people stay smoke-free six months after treatment, while traditional treatments are only effective for 10–35 percent of people. And robust clinical research is rehabilitating the reputation of the previously maligned “hippie” drug LSD as study results demonstrate its efficacy in treating end-of-life anxiety and alcoholism.

These “hug drugs,” as empathogenic (empathy creating) medications are called, often provide rapid transformation from pain and grief into wellness and emotional health, from isolation and sadness into connection and appreciation. It can also be transformation that lasts.”

Markola's comments here converge with the earlier recommendation for Michaels Pollan's "How To Change Your Mind". To keep this comment consistent with the thread topic, Michael Pollan is "one of us" loosely speaking (65 YO, successful) who has gone through some personal exploration later in life and has recounted the result of his research and personal experiences.

I would also suggest his earlier books as well: "Botany of Desire" (includes a section on cannibis, but the section about apples is fascinating and mind-changing for most of us that don't understand the history and biology apples any more than picking them out at the supermarket) and his book "Your Mind on Plants" (history/biology of opium, caffeine & peyote/mescaline).

Back
Top Bottom