anybody have a drone??

I got a basic DJI Mini 2 this weekend. I’m still learning about it and haven’t yet flown but I will. It certainly is small and light!

My only complaint is that the supplied cable for connecting an iPhone to the remote controller required that I remove the phone from its protective case (I have an Otterbox).

I have the Mini 2 as well. You will have a lot of fun with it. Read about the extended warranty because you only have two days to decide once you do your first flight. My first drone flew away after 2 weeks and never came back. I think the warranty is a good investment. It’s only $49.

I have the Mini 2 as well. You will have a lot of fun with it. Read about the extended warranty because you only have two days to decide once you do your first flight. My first drone flew away after 2 weeks and never came back. I think the warranty is a good investment. It’s only $49.

Good to know. It looks like the standard warranty is 90 days for manufacturing defects. Giving only two days to purchase the extended warranty seems harsh! I’ll probably just roll the dice. I’m so new to drones I don’t know yet how well I’ll like it or use it…

My neighbor and I were taking about this a month or so ago and we both agreed, that if we see one hovering over our property then we will shoot it down. Under 100 yards and a 12 ga with 4's should do the trick. Over that and a 22-250 with a 24x scope will work. Anything flying above the 22-250's range is okay.

BUDK.com has shotgun shells with a net to bring them down. Fewer downrange safety concerns.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...faces-felony-charges-for-shooting-down-drone/

Drone ceiling is 400 feet. Even at 200 feet, the wide angle lenses of drones isn’t going to capture anything identifiable even if the camera is pointing towards windows. Not even sure people outside can be made out.

Usually I’m hovering at 200-300 feet to capture panos, generally well away from even small towns or homes. Or using the Hyperlapse mode where it’s moving very slowly.

There is an upcoming drone which will have the usual wide angle and a separate camera with a 162 mm equivalent camera. Then with digital zoom it might have a combined 28x optical and digital zoom.

However, image quality with digital zoom isn’t going to be good. Still doubtful it can be used for surveillance into peoples homes.

I was on a photo workshop in Utah in April, and two people in the group had Mavic 2 Pro's with the Hasselblad camera. I flew it for a while and took landscape photos. It was great. I think I will have to get one. Here is a video from it.
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/enjoying-the-landscape-109616.html

Just took delivery of my DJI Mavic 3. I'm glad I drug my feet on the Mavic 2 Pro because the 3 has a better camera and about 50% longer battery life. It was raining yesterday so I took it on it's first flight in the great room. I'm going to have so much fun! BTD!

Just took delivery of my DJI Mavic 3. I'm glad I drug my feet on the Mavic 2 Pro because the 3 has a better camera and about 50% longer battery life. It was raining yesterday so I took it on it's first flight in the great room. I'm going to have so much fun! BTD!

That’s an amazing drone. I’m sure you will have a lot of fun with it. Are you going to buy the DJI insurance option for it? I would feel horrible if I had a fly away on such an expensive drone.

Congrats and enjoy!

I almost sold my Mavic 2 Pro in October in anticipation of the Mavic 3.

It's too pricey and right now the firmware is missing a lot of features like panos and hyper lapses, which I use a lot.

Suppose to be in January when they have these features.

They charge $319 for the bag in the Fly More kit if you buy separately. The Fly More kit is $800 more than the standard version and comes with two batteries (which are $219 each separately), the bag, a charger.

I paid about $2000 for my Fly More kit for Mavic 2 Pro in 2018.

One thing to be wary, countries are requiring things like RemoteID and in Europe and the UK something called CEMark in order for people to be able to fly most of the places they fly now.

Without these things, you may have to be at least 150 meters away from any building or people in Europe for instance.

It is not clear if you can add these features or certifications in the case of CEMark on existing drones. The rules are suppose to go into effect in 2023.

So I'm thinking I might not upgrade until then or at least when the rules are more clear and whether existing drones can be updated or you have to buy new ones.

That’s an amazing drone. I’m sure you will have a lot of fun with it. Are you going to buy the DJI insurance option for it? I would feel horrible if I had a fly away on such an expensive drone.

I got that for one year. After that I'll put it on my regular insurance.

Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks!

The Mavic 3 with the enhanced controller & built in screen is the way to go, but $5k ...... OUCT.

Yea, I thought so too. But that's what the $ is for.

I almost sold my Mavic 2 Pro in October in anticipation of the Mavic 3.

It's too pricey and right now the firmware is missing a lot of features like panos and hyper lapses, which I use a lot.

Suppose to be in January when they have these features.

They charge $319 for the bag in the Fly More kit if you buy separately. The Fly More kit is $800 more than the standard version and comes with two batteries (which are $219 each separately), the bag, a charger.

I paid about $2000 for my Fly More kit for Mavic 2 Pro in 2018.

One thing to be wary, countries are requiring things like RemoteID and in Europe and the UK something called CEMark in order for people to be able to fly most of the places they fly now.

Without these things, you may have to be at least 150 meters away from any building or people in Europe for instance.

It is not clear if you can add these features or certifications in the case of CEMark on existing drones. The rules are suppose to go into effect in 2023.

So I'm thinking I might not upgrade until then or at least when the rules are more clear and whether existing drones can be updated or you have to buy new ones.

Good to know, thanks.

Congrats. The videos I have seen from it look amazing. I have an air2s. Will you be using it commercially at all?

DJI Makes a good Drone at a price. I have probably had 10 - 15 drones, 5 of which I made myself. Average cost to make a good one, once you have a controller is about $1500, and that was a 6 or 8 rotor style with a retractable undercarriage. The most I paid for an all in one was $1,800 (I think). Prices of custom made units can go into the 10s of thousands. But they all still needed a phone for Video

I have had DJIs from the Spark, Air up to the Original Mavic and also all 3D Robotics offerings + a few more Autel, FPV Racers etc. I did find FPV goggles annoying and my eye need severe correction. It was fun while I was making accessories for them on my 3D printer. I must admit I lost interest and sold them all after a while.

I may get back into it, the thing I like about DJI that makes it stand out is the All in one Video Controller, that supports a NON Wifi control system AKA Occusync.

I was fed up of using a Tablet or Phone as a video device. That and WiFi Controllers, were the weakest links IMHO on all drones. Most Model Aircraft do not us WiFi Controlers, that have a much more reliable Spread Spektrum Technology for RC Control.

There are some questions about DJI and Data gathering by the Chinese, but that maybe just a contrived myth.

Bottom line The New Drones are expensive toys, but are a lot of fun. For those who use them for business they can be a great tool also.

I am definitely a fan.

Congrats. The videos I have seen from it look amazing. I have an air2s. Will you be using it commercially at all?

No. I’m interested in it for sport and photography. Took this with a borrowed drone in Utah this spring. 5760.jpg

Hmm how high was that picture taken?

Increasing the altitude limit is about 400 feet now.

I hit a tree and dropped my DJI Spark in the lake Halloween night. Already bought a replacement. Anyone know a well read forum/classifieds that I could sell the drowned one for parts possibly? I'd take nearly anything for it. It spent 4 days in 2 feet of fresh water, then 10 days in a bag of rice, but it is unresponsive. Wonder if parts on it are useable to anyone.

I hit a tree and dropped my DJI Spark in the lake Halloween night. Already bought a replacement. Anyone know a well read forum/classifieds that I could sell the drowned one for parts possibly? I'd take nearly anything for it. It spent 4 days in 2 feet of fresh water, then 10 days in a bag of rice, but it is unresponsive. Wonder if parts on it are useable to anyone.

It’s hard to know what parts if any may be salvageable but you could try the DJI forum: https://forum.dji.com/

Sorry to hear about your accident. It’s a bummer when that happens. I lost one in the ocean when I first started flying them.

There are classified areas on both of these forums you can try to sell

rcgroups.com and mavicpilots.com.

Back
Top Bottom