Anybody tired of the Olympics?

Canada wins mens' gold allowing only 3 goals against in the entire tournament. It was tough getting up so early but worth it. Curling and hockey, great Canadian sports. I like some of the new ski cross events.

Not tired of them. I pick and choose what interests me...mostly the ice dancing and downhill skiing. I have also enjoyed some of the non-sports asides on life in Russia and bios of the athletes.

Watched some, mostly downhill and snowboard, but haven't tuned in since the Bode Miller interview. Left a bad taste in my mouth, especially NBC's insistence that they did nothing wrong. Bull effing puckey!

Reminds me why I watch the cooking channel..,

BBC 2 on Saturday had Olympic coverage for over 7.5hrs. That means they show a bunch of events...and plenty of coverage of the whole events, not just the ones our media "feels" like showing.

I did see that Bode Miller interview and it was excruciating. That interviewer was like a rat terrier in probing over and over again (to Bode's obvious emotional distress) his brother's recent death and the camera was unrelenting, too, in trying to record every second of pathos the questioning extracted.

It's all over now anyway.

This PBS interview with Gregory Feifer came up on my YouTube suggestions.

What the Winter Olympics tell us about life in Russia - YouTube

The book (Russians: the People behind the Power) sounded interesting

http://www.amazon.ca/Russians-The-People-behind-Power/dp/1455509647

So I downloaded it to my Kindle. It's fascinating and depressing. I now understand how the Sochi Olympics cost upwards of $50 billion, much of which went to line the pockets of Putin's friends. I have a sinking feeling that 10 years from now, all those facilities will be crumbling amid the weeds while Russians continue to struggle.

Last edited:
I enjoy watching the Olympics, winter more than summer. But for whatever reason I'm a little tired of them this time around too, not sure why. I am just glad there hasn't been some tragic disruption, at least in Sochi.

I did see that Bode Miller interview and it was excruciating. That interviewer was like a rat terrier in probing over and over again (to Bode's obvious emotional distress) his brother's recent death and the camera was unrelenting, too, in trying to record every second of pathos the questioning extracted.
Christin Cooper got blasted in social media after the interview, and deservedly IMO.

Christin Cooper got blasted in social media after the interview, and deservedly IMO.

NBC had every chance to edit that interview before it aired, and chose not to. In fact, network execs defended it because Miller said it was "okay"...

I didn't watch any Olympics. I guess I'm just a baseball, tennis, and football guy. But it sounds like it waa good.

I stopped watching the Olympics in 1984 when the coverage substantially changed to a commercial format and an intense focus on the US competitors to the exclusion of other countries. Basically, they were ignoring talent. This year I haven't seen a single minute of Olympic competition.

I stopped watching the Olympics in 1984 when the coverage substantially changed to a commercial format and an intense focus on the US competitors to the exclusion of other countries. Basically, they were ignoring talent. This year I haven't seen a single minute of Olympic competition.

About the same time I stopped watching...and for the same reasons.

I have absolutely no interest in any winter olympic sport so I never watch the winter olympics. I do watch a lot of the summer olympics though.

I watched about 30 minutes of coverage total.

News travels too fast...too easy to get them Spoiler Alerts and I don't want to have to live like a hermit all day to get the "live" drama feeling.

I thought the Olympics were pretty good. NBC pays so much for broadcasting rights they need to add value of their own to push advertising rights high, and they are still struggling on that front.

DW likes ice skating, so we watched that. I don't know who decided that Tara Lipinski (former figure skater) would be a good commentator, but they should lose their job.

As far as whether they should end now: I'll bet a LOT of folks in Ukraine wish President Putin would stay occupied hosting that big worldwide audience for a few more months.

I enjoyed the whole spectacle.

It wasn't that long ago when the political emphasis would have been good vs. evil.

I thought it showed that Russia could put on a world class show without terrorist attacks. I am also interested in pursuing a Black Sea cruise as it seems to offer many fascinating ports of call: Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine and Bulgaria. We did Istanbul and the Bosphorus 2 years ago and I am itching to get back to that part of the world, including Ephesus and Cappadocia.

For the first time in my life, I completely missed the Olympics. I knew it was going on and have seen a few pictures online, but the past two days are the first real chance I have had to veg since I retired.

I loved the x game style competitions - so daring and the competitors so young and fresh and enjoying themselves win or lose. Best sport was the curling - not something I know much about but my DH explained a lot of it and I could appreciate how cerebral the sport is as well as being physically demanding. It didnt hurt that Canada won both men's and womens gold medals and that neither team lost a game during the entire tournament. Up at 4am to watch Canada-Sweden - great game even if it was a shut out. And as for our women hockey players - aaaawesoome.
Canada is pretty hopeless at summer sports but give us snow and ice and we heat right up!!!!

I've always loved watching winter olympics, but for some reason this year it didn't interest me very much. Probably watched less than 6 hours of the coverage.

I've always loved watching winter olympics, but for some reason this year it didn't interest me very much.
Not sure why but it really didn't capture my interest either. We spent a week at the Nagano Olympics in '98, loved it and I though I'd be a lifelong fan. Guess not.

Back
Top Bottom