Anyone been cured of snoring?

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
About three months ago, my wife, who never snored in the past, suddenly began snoring very loudly almost every night. I mean loud enough to make me have to sleep on the courch. Since we both think it odd that this problem would suddenly develop so late in life, we made a doctor appointment for next month. Has anyone been treated for snoring, or know someone who was, and what was the treatment and did it work?

I snored for years. Then, about seven years ago, I lost 33 pounds (from 195 to 162). My snoring stopped completely and has not returned. I assume the snoring started as I gained weight in my throat. My shirt collar size went up an inch and a half leading up to the snoring. It went back down an inch and the snoring stopped. My snoring irritated DW enough that I tried an operation in which the ENT doc lasered my uvula down to nothing. That helped a bit for a while but the snoring came back in full force. Only the weight loss cure held up.

Last edited:
I’m glad you’re going to the doctor! I expect a good solution will be found.

I have sleep apnea and therefore snore unless I’m using a custom fitted dental device (like a retainer, but designed for sleep apnea). In years past I had a CPAP machine, which worked for me for several years, but then I found it was no longer the answer and the dental device works well for me now. I also snore less when I’ve lost weight and when I sleep on my side.

I don’t think it’s unusual to start snoring as we age and the neck muscles relax. Sleep quality is important to good health, for both of you, so it’s good you are seeking medical resolution.

+1 on weight reduction. Target a BMI in the “healthy” or “normal” range, in the low 20s.

Use a neck pillow.

Use a Fitbit or other wrist device that measures blood oxygen and sleep data. I like this as the oxygen data plus movement data tells me alot about my sleep, and I subjectively correlate this to how I feel in the morning. It’s a great tool, the Fitbit. I have the Versa 2. The Versa 3 and Sense are what I recommend.

Since it's a sudden and pronounced change, I will assume weight isn't the issue as OP hasn't mentioned it (though if there has been an increase in weight, or if DW is overweight, that is certainly a factor).

Still, this isn't the same problem as someone who snored routinely for years...
Have there been any recent dietary changes or new stresses in life? Have her exercise habits changed significantly? Is the bedroom dusty or are the pillows old (allergies?) - all things to rule out quickly.

In absence of that, definitely get to a doctor sooner than later, and push for a sleep study. Personally I'd get an appointment next week not next month. Left untreated sleep apnea can be quite serious. Her body is clearly saying something is different.

DW snores loudly enough to wake me up, but it's only occasionally. Maybe 2 or 3 times a month. My solution is to have a pair of earplugs handy. I pop them in and go back to sleep.

I used to snore myself but stopped when I switched to a LCHF diet.

I agree that a visit to the doc is appropriate since this came on suddenly.

We both snored, mine could wake the dead and she made cute little noises that were like snoring only nice. We both lost a bunch of weight and no longer snore.

Last edited:
Another suggestion is “the nudge”. I get the nudge now and again. It’s a good opportunity to change sleeping positions! :)

+3,4 whatever on the weight loss. I have recently lost quite a bit of weight and DW says my snoring has disappeared (90+% anyway)

I still snore when I am extremely tired or if I overindulge in the wobbly pops or the distillers art.

We change as we age. If sleep apnea is diagnosed, which is a common but serious condition, don’t deny it and do follow the sleep clinic’s advice.

OP, you've mentioned your wife is a 2x cancer survivor. Given her medical history, I'd also book an immediate screening and follow up with her oncologist.

Find the cause before focusing on the symptom.

I am also told that my snoring went away when I lost enough weight to get into the normal bmi range. Wife said I was suddenly so quiet that she would watch my chest move to make sure I was still alive.

My friend's snoring went away when she started taking some kind of allergy meds before bed (antihistamines?)

I had never heard of snoring stopping by allergy meds, so I thought I'd mention.

Does your wife have allergies/stuffed nose?

My friend's snoring went away when she started taking some kind of allergy meds before bed (antihistamines?)

I had never heard of snoring stopping by allergy meds, so I thought I'd mention.

Does your wife have allergies/stuffed nose?

no, no allergies nor is her nose stuffed.

good advice

OP, you've mentioned your wife is a 2x cancer survivor. Given her medical history, I'd also book an immediate screening and follow up with her oncologist.

Find the cause before focusing on the symptom.

yes, we have an appointment with the sinus doctor as well as her oncologist. She taxes Tamoxifen so she is monitored carefully. Thanks for the good advice.

My pulmanologist says men with size 17 dress shirts or over 200 lbs. usually have sleep apnea. And CPAP is his answer. He has 48 doctors on CPAP.

I knew one guy that kept having car wrecks and he fell asleep at traffic lights mid afternoon. Many have difficulties having 100% attention in church.

Weight loss helps great. And surgery to remove the excess skin on the back of the neck is an option.

And many women also have sleep apnea too. My wife has terrible apnea presently, and we sleep in separate bedrooms because of both of us snoring.

Go on CPAP and use it all the time, and you feel so much better. You'll live a couple of years longer and not have a 1/3 chance of future open heart surgery. This is some serious stuff.

Lose weight, sleep on a side or stomach, elevate the head, treat allergies, avoid muscle relaxants including alcohol. These are all standard recommendations but CPAP can also be used quite effectively.

You can be treated with CPAP even if you don't have diagnosed sleep apnea (just as drugs can be used off label). Your insurance company probably will not pay but the machine and associated equipment can be had for much less than a grand. You will likely need a prescription for the CPAP but you can likely find a physician willing to treat you if you check around. Any licensed provider can technically write the prescription. Start with a relatively low pressure like 5 cm H2O and gradually increase it until your partner says you no longer snore. Instructions for adjusting the machine can usually be found online.

(In my opinion CPAP is safe enough to be available OTC for snoring and might contribute substantially to public health if it were. CPAP is unquestionably safer than many medications available OTC.)

My wife has been telling me for past 7-8 years that I snore on and off . Last year I lost 45+ pounds after going on a vegan diet. My wife now says my snoring has stopped. Perhaps weight loss had something to do with it as @doneff has mentioned earlier.

I had surgery to help my sleep apnea and snoring. I still will snore a little bit when I have a really stuffy nose but even then my partner says it is not loud like it used to be. The doctor removed my tonsils and adenoids, reduced my nasal turbinades, and straightened my septum.

It was a pretty big procedure, but it was also life changing. I sleep much better than I ever did before and can actually breathe through my nose which I couldn't do for the first 40 years of my life.

I would recommend getting a sleep study done at a minimum if there is new snoring. Sleep apnea is serious and there are a lot of ways to treat it.

Weight loss also helped with my snoring, but still snore after a heavy caloric high carb type of dinner.

Ear plugs is my solution also.

Back
Top Bottom