Anyone Considering Cancelling Travel

Just cancelled our trip to Napa/Sonoma in mid September. Waning vaccination protection, area hospitals over capacity, smoke from wildfires and water shortage all lead to us cancelling for the second time! Wish the whole country took this seriously. At this point, no idea when we will be able to travel safely again.

Heading to Switzerland/Italy next week

We're heading to Switzerland next week, where my wife and I will be taking a great rail journey throughout the country for 11 days. After that, she is heading back to the USA, but I will be staying on in Switzerland for 12 more days in an around Murren, then heading south to Italy for a 15 day Northern Italy tour with Overseas Adventure Travel. This is the trip we had originally planned for last September. We are both vaccinated, in good health, and will be very careful. Until the Swiss and/or Italian governments tell us we can't go, I am looking forward to this trip, with some apprehension but also a lot of eagerness

We haven’t scheduled any trips these past two years because of the restrictions when flying - which we hate doing as it is- and worrying about getting stuck somewhere- a foreign country- and not being able to return.

So being retired we are on vacation everyday anyway and exploring and enjoying our home state, which is where we used to take vacations before we moved here.

I am even not crazy about buying tickets to any events or venues until the last minute because of changes that could occur in requirements.

Never stopped

The wife and I never stopped traveling since the beginning of 2020. We spent last winter at the ocean as we always do (3+ months), have traveled to FL, NC, SC, throughout TN, etc, and would have been on 5 cruises except they all got cancelled. We have now rebooked them and have another 5 cruises planned from Nov-Mar, will be spending our winter as usual in SC, have trips planned to FL and New Orleans, and various others across the South. In the immortal words from Shawshank Redemption - "get busy living or get busy dying".

Announced today, just 3 days before the start of the US Open tennis tournament in Flushing Meadows, all attendees 12 years old or older must show proof of at least 1 dose of Covid vaccine.

WOW.

There will be some pretty angry unvaccinated folks with tickets.

I am vaccinated, but I have decided not to attend.

We’re *supposed* to travel to Big Island, Hawaii in a few days - Sept 2. The good news: rental car rates have plummeted from around $1500 for 10 day trip, to $414 for the entire trip when I looked today. The bad news: we’re closely watching covid regs to see if our entire trip ends up imploding ;-). Apparently there’s a big push to shut down the beaches and the state parks (volcanoes, hiking), the entire island…….again…….sigh…..

Fingers crossed! Have family on Oahu that is/was going to “hop” over & join us.

We’re *supposed* to travel to Big Island, Hawaii in a few days - Sept 2. The good news: rental car rates have plummeted from around $1500 for 10 day trip, to $414 for the entire trip when I looked today. The bad news: we’re closely watching covid regs to see if our entire trip ends up imploding ;-). Apparently there’s a big push to shut down the beaches and the state parks (volcanoes, hiking), the entire island…….again…….sigh…..

Fingers crossed! Have family on Oahu that is/was going to “hop” over & join us.

I saw this report the other night on PBS news...

Hawaii's Governor Asks Tourists To Stay Away Because Of COVID

August 23, 2021
Gov. David Ige wants to curtail travel to Hawaii through the end of October.

"It is a risky time to be traveling right now," he said.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030532161/hawaii-governor-tourists-stay-away-covid

Last edited:
I saw this report the other night on PBS news...

Hawaii's Governor Asks Tourists To Stay Away Because Of COVID

August 23, 2021
Gov. David Ige wants to curtail travel to Hawaii through the end of October.

"It is a risky time to be traveling right now," he said.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030532161/hawaii-governor-tourists-stay-away-covid

Yes, we’ve seen this article and have been following closely.

We’ve been over to Oahu a few times this last year (family). Going to Big Island this time and feel fine/comfortable/safe in our lodging arrangements. Just hoping island doesn’t completely shutdown.

The operative words in those articles you mentioned: Gov. Ige WANTS to curtail travel. Not yet MANDATING or limiting or closing. We’ll see…….

We have once again cancelled all travel plans as Delta runs its course here in Europe. With the vaccine efficacy at only 31% for this variant an R0 of 6.4 and a period of 4 days of asymptomatic transmission with 4x viral load. I am fine with travelling being in excellent health and already having had asymptomatic COVID (back in April 2020) as well as being fully vaccinated this past June. My wife who has a heart condition is concerned to the point of cancelling. I tried to reason with her that this period right now is the safest it is going to be for a while as the Lambda variant makes its way across the planet and is far worse.

I, no not we, had a scuba trip in Philippines planned in April 2020. That's been pushed back over and over again and now sits at January 2022. Wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen especially since hardly any Filipinos vaccinated. We're spoiled here to at least have the opportunity to vax. Wish everyone would.

Had another scuba trip planned for Cayman Islands since May of 2021. Cayman says they'll open by October but my dive shop doubts that will happen. Says probably December at earliest.

Pandemic has completely warped my plans of retirement.

My wife and I had planned on visiting Scotland in the spring of 2020. A trip that was planned a year in advance. We had to cancel all of our reservations.

Of course, spring of 2021 travel to Scotland wasn't going to happen. And I have serious concerns for spring travel in 2022. Lol, we're not getting any younger!

I for one do not want to travel if we have to "mask up" everywhere we go, but, that might be the new norm.

Alaska Cruise Coming up

We are booked on an Alaskan cruise at the end of September and have no plans to cancel. It's 100% vaccinated--crew and guests--and everyone must pass a PCR test at the pier before boarding. Masks are optional once we are on board, but I suspect our group (8 family members all together) will be mask wearers in public spaces.

The DH and I are booked on the 2022 Viking WC scheduled to leave LA in January. Lately other lines--Cunard, Princess, Holland America, & Seabourne--have cancelled their 2022 World Cruises--so we're not sanguine about ours sailing. But we are waiting for Viking to cancel so we can earn additional cruise credits to use on another voyage. There have been rumors that Viking will free up a second ship for the 2023 WC (the current one is sold out) to make room for those of us who want to go then. They are already planning on sending two ships out for their 2024 WC.

So we'll see. I'm disappointed by the delay, but unless the Delta variant burns out and the rest of the world catches up with vaccinations, I can't imagine what sort of itinerary they can cobble together by this coming January.

Not sure if I posted in this thread yet (it's early, pre-coffee, lol). We were going to meet friends in Florida in early Fall. We were all going to Disney World together. As we were watching the numbers climb we considered still going but not going to the parks. Now we are pretty sure we are cancelling the entire trip. Hospitals are slammed there. The mayor of Orlando is asking people to conserve water because of oxygen shortages (oxygen is used for both covid patients and to treat drinking water). Just don't see things improving in time for us to travel.

For 2022 we have reservations for Yosemite National Park, a cruise next winter, and tickets to France. Hoping things improve drastically worldwide in the next 6 months or so. Our last trip was in January 2020. :(

We had booked a Nat Geo tour to Italy in the Fall. earlier this week they cancelled it. I have friends still trekking to Europe but they are all doing it on their own, setting up all their own arrangements, and my wife and I are simply not comfortable doing that, especially during these crazy times.

We are booked on an Alaskan cruise at the end of September and have no plans to cancel. It's 100% vaccinated--crew and guests--and everyone must pass a PCR test at the pier before boarding. Masks are optional once we are on board, but I suspect our group (8 family members all together) will be mask wearers in public spaces.

May I ask which cruise line? 100% sounds pretty good!

We are RV'ing with a vengeance as I briefly mentioned in my earlier post, and have trips booked throughout the rest of the year, roughly one a month. We'll hike, bike, and kayak, plus hope to visit museums in metro areas if they are open, and eat outside at a variety of restaurants. Not so different from what we do when we travel by plane here and abroad, which is what I've been telling myself to not lament over all that we miss.

So strange after 10 years of FIRE to not currently have any splashy trips to be looking forward to.

I will add that we finished a 35 day South American cruise on March 7, 2020. Just a few days later the entire cruise industry shut down. We were so incredibly lucky to have just missed the ensuing choas.

We recently did one with Carnival Aug 2->10th , prior to the 100% V rule.
Alaska was nice, no crowds as we were the only cruise ship except for 1 port.
The towns need the business badly, I saw many souvenirs with 2020 on them as they had a year's supply left over !

We wore masks in public places on the ship when inside the ship.

I was nervous prior to the trip, but relaxed once we were on it and I could see it was all working out.
Still some of the experience was lost by the need to mask up before leaving the room.
The shows on the ship were the same ones from 1.5 yrs ago, as nobody was paid to learn new ones.

Our ship was 93% full.

Cancelled France, London, & Scotland trips this year. Decided to head to Montreal & Quebec City for 2 weeks mid Sept instead. This has seriously %!?#% our retirement travel plans.

In October 2020, my wife and I wanted to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica.

We all know how that went.

So after we got fully vaccinated in April 2021 we thought everything looks like it will be getting better and booked 6 days in Jamaica in October. Figured almost 7 months away.

Needless to say things are not going as expected. I was getting worried but dare not say anything to the wife as she was so excited.

A couple of days ago she said many friends are cancelling their domestic and international trips and thought we should consider cancelling ours.

Wow, didn't see that one coming. So I did some new research on Jamaica.

US government rates it a 3 stating to reconsider travel. Several weeks ago it was rated 4 - do not travel. So improving I guess.

Jamaica requires covid testing when visiting and US requires it when arriving. After reading Jamaica's covid guidelines, if you show a positive test before leaving you have to quarantine for 14 days and may be required to stay at a government facility.

Jamaica has less than 6% fully vaccinated.

Ughhhh. So I haven't cancelled yet as we have until October 1st but it does not look promising.

Anyone else considering or has cancelled travel?

Unfortunately we postponed our Bora Bora trip, hopefully next year or two. Same with Egypt.

May I ask which cruise line? 100% sounds pretty good!

UnCruise had that requirement, as well as a negative PCR test no more than 4 days before embarcation. As I noted earlier in the thread, we had two positives halfway through the cruise- one was the male half of a couple who had gone out bar-hopping the night before and the other had sat across from him at dinner- but the rest of us, crew and 50 passengers, tested negative. They went above and beyond in taking care of us and keeping us informed and refunded 50% of the cruise cost.

We have a trip coming up in less than two weeks that we can't cancel without losing several thousand, so we plan to follow through. Just a few weeks ago that state and specific county has reimposed their mask mandate fully and social distancing to some extent. Frankly I am glad they've done so proactively - their delta hospitalizations haven't risen like the "some states." Airports and flying are still our biggest concern (our first time on a plane since Covid began), I know masks are required but I also read enforcement is hit and miss and there are customers resisting masks.

DGF and I finally made our Bonaire dive trip for three weeks this past June/July after rescheduling it many times over the past year. We wanted to stay four weeks but resort room availability was the issue. Didn't want to have to move to another place. It was three weeks of heaven.

Leaving for Rome in about 5 weeks for an 11 day Italy and Greek Island cruise. Cruise lines require vaccination and will test upon boarding. Just recently Greece limited cruise ship passengers to only cruise line sponsered excursions, no wandering on your own in ports. Italy has also recently instituted a mandatory 5 day quarantine for travelers from the UK. We were to join up with a couple from Wallasey, UK but unless they drop the quarantine requirement, they'll have to cancel. Also have about 9 others traveling with us. Point of interest on the couple from Wallasey. They live just across the Mersey river from Liverpool. We were on a cruise with them about 5 years ago and during a bar trivia session focusing on the Beatles we figured we had it made with them on our team. Turns out they knew absolutely nothing about the Beatles. I refuse to let them off the hook for that even to this day.

Still have a cruise set in the Caribbean for March and are already booked for 4 weeks of diving in Bonaire next April/May which is our usual time frame for that trip. It will be our 18th year there. How time flies.

Can you share any details about that -- it sounds great.

I really want to do either of these trips:

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/glacier-express.htm

I can't decide if Winter or Summer would be better. There are some youtube videos too that show the views. I think the Bernina trip has a corkscrew going up

Man in Seat 61 is a great site for train travel. He goues into great detail on routes & how to buy tickets & transfers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom