Anyone doing 30 days of bourbon?

Ah ok. It is a common misconception. Obviously peated Scotch is still better than bourbon [emoji51]

We like Scotch and are okay with mild peat but if it tastes like a burning building I’m out. You can see Johnnie Walker Black and Balvenie Caribbean Cask in my photo. Also several ryes.

Started last night with a jefferson's Ocean. Probably took care of the whole week though.

I like Jefferson’s Ocean, especially their wheated mash bills. There’s a bottle of voyage 15 in our bar currently. I do think it’s overpriced for what it is because you’re paying for the novelty factor but it’s good stuff.

I hate how trendy bourbon has gotten in recent years causing prices to skyrocket. The Weller Antique that we had last night was $25 just a few years ago. Now it’s at least $70.

There are way more than 30. I’m sure well into the hundreds.

[-]So, do you buy 30 different bourbons at the start of the month? Or pass the bottles around from friend to friend over the course of the month?[/-]

Never mind, I saw the photo of that impressive collection. :D

I keep one bottle of bourbon around: Elijah Craig. My version of this event is to have an Elijah on the rocks about once every thirty days. It's a sipper and one to linger over on the front porch or in front of the fire.

Frank and I don't drink anything alcoholic ever, because both of us have severe alcoholism in our immediate family, we have seen what it can do, and we have heard that it might be hereditary.

We don't look down on those who drink at all, we just think that we personally don't want to take that chance given our family histories. But hey, have a good time! I didn't even know 30 different kinds of bourbon exist. :D

Good for you!

I've probably only had alcohol about once in 10 years. Not because of alcoholism in the immediate family, just there came a time in my life I realized it's not my thing :popcorn:.

Reactions: W2R
Don’t think I’ll get to 30 days of alcohol let alone 30 days of bourbon.

I’ve got a couple bourbons, Makers and Woodford Reserve. Also have Whistle Pig Rye and Sensei Mizunara whiskey. I like to use my little tasting glasses and compare a couple every once in a while.

I like bourbon but not enough to have anywhere close to 30 different ones on hand. Evan Williams is my "everyday" bourbon, but I also like Buffalo Trace and a few other more premium labels. OP, what is your favorite brand that comes in under $40/bottle (750ml) at retail?

I drink Bourbon occasionally, I think I only have 3 kinds on my shelf and one isn't a 'real' bourbon (Tennessee Whisky).

But I suppose I could just rotate, and have the three kinds 10 times?

I enjoy a Scotch very occasionally as well, but not too peaty. My brother ordered one, and just sitting across the table from him, when they brought it to the table, I smelled that smell like how your clothes smell the day after sitting around a campfire a few hours the night before. No Thanks!

-ERD50

OP, what is your favorite brand that comes in under $40/bottle (750ml) at retail?
I just skimmed through totalwine.com to see what comes in under $40.

Maker's 46 and Woodford Reserve would probably be my top picks.
Russel's Reserve 10 is also a solid choice.

Jim Beam Black and Clyde May's are good budget choices.

For day 2, we went to a new distillery that opened essentially down the street from us. It opened about 3 months ago and we just hadn't gotten over there. We were waiting for them to settle in and get their routine down.

Great place. They are making their own bourbon but it's not ready yet so they're currently selling bourbon sourced from MGP in Indiana (they make whiskey for many, many companies). Good basic product but low proof at 92 so not the most flavorful. We really prefer barrel strength products, not watered down juice.

I went well past 30 years of bourbon. Not drinking much anymore, but when I do it does still tend to be bourbon.

We really prefer barrel strength products, not watered down juice.

Have you tried anything from Scotch Malt Whiskey Society? They put out only single barrel, cask strength bottlings from over 100 distilleries. Their focus is Scotch, but they do source barrels of other whiskeys, including bourbon. I've been a member for over 10 years and go through 2-3 bottles a year from their rotating collection. I rarely buy anything that isn't cask strength anymore, partly because I found SMWS.

Have you tried anything from Scotch Malt Whiskey Society? They put out only single barrel, cask strength bottlings from over 100 distilleries. Their focus is Scotch, but they do source barrels of other whiskeys, including bourbon. I've been a member for over 10 years and go through 2-3 bottles a year from their rotating collection. I rarely buy anything that isn't cask strength anymore, partly because I found SMWS.

I’m not familiar with them. We do belong to a local bourbon group that does a lot of private barrel picks, always at cask strength. Also a couple of local stores release a lot of private picks. We’ve been involved in picking several of them.

No, but I like bourbon barrel aged wine and ale.

No, but I like bourbon barrel aged wine and ale.
Neither of us are beer drinkers but we visited a brewery and distillery in Kentucky while doing the Bourbon Trail. They had a bourbon barrel aged beer that we both actually enjoyed. If I was forced to drink a beer, I would definitely pick one that was aged in bourbon barrels.

I just skimmed through totalwine.com to see what comes in under $40.

Maker's 46 and Woodford Reserve would probably be my top picks.
Russel's Reserve 10 is also a solid choice.

Jim Beam Black and Clyde May's are good budget choices.

Check out Four Roses Small Batch. Good choice under $40

Darn. I have been having a couple of fingers of bourbon nightly for a couple of years. But this year I am having problems with Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) which is exacerbated by alcohol. No more nightly bourbon.

I like bourbon but not enough to have anywhere close to 30 different ones on hand. Evan Williams is my "everyday" bourbon, but I also like Buffalo Trace and a few other more premium labels. OP, what is your favorite brand that comes in under $40/bottle (750ml) at retail?

Not the OP, but Basil Hayden fits your parameters.

I’m sure there must be some bourbon fans here. Today is the start of Bourbon Heritage Month. My wife and I are doing the 30 days of bourbon routine, enjoying a different pour each night.

We kicked it off tonight with one of my favorites, Old Weller Antique 107.

Anyone else?

Never heard of it and I only have a few bottles. One is the Old Weller Antique 107 which I haven't even opened yet. Have gone through a few bottles of the Weller green label. I like the Elijah Craig small batch for a good bourbon at a reasonable price.

This guy is infamous for doing a whisky review while is SO is packing up and moving out in the background. But occasionally he'll do a bar tour where he inventories his stock. He spends more on whisky/bourbon/scotch in a week than I do on groceries in a month.

There was a time when I could/world partake. But like so many things, those days are gone. Beer is about my speed today. And then only Corona Light and in moderation.

I have a history of alcoholics in my family especially on my father's side. Most of them died of alcoholism (dad, grandparents, uncle, aunt). My Mom's side is OK (I think) but I have no historical records. I quit drinking anything alcoholic 20 years ago or so, but if I started again, it would be with bourbon. :D

40+ years ago I was a sour mash guy, proud member of the Tennessee Squires. Today light wine and light beer in moderation.

Another Scotch fan here, but I’m happy to do a wee dram of that every day in honor of Bourbon Heritage month.

Back
Top Bottom