Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

Husband and I are looking to take a driving trip along the west edge of Michigan........parks, beaches, lighthouses, sand dunes. We will be entering the state from the south. Any REALLY special places to see, stop, or stay :confused:? We like 'people-watching' a day or so at the beach catching some sun. We are 'walkers', in other words we don't do strenuous hiking, but like to go for a couple mile walk seeing "stuff". Not into fancy-smanchy food, but into good local home cooking.

Suggestions !:confused: Thanks.

I am also looking at this trip, but really struggling to find too much to do outside of the cities and don't want to spend the whole trip travelling. Now looking to either Do Riga, Tallinn, Helsinki for 3 days each.

I've been in Tallinn and Riga .... Truly, 3 days each is more than enough (you can see all Tallinn in 1 day). You can take ferry from Tallin to St Petersburg , amazing city and much more to do then in Baltika countries

If I don't do the Baltics trip, any suggestions for a mid July trip that will not be packed with tourists. We did Slovenia last year and fell in love, but are having a harder time this year. Any suggestions appreciated.
You should also to consider weather .... we've been to South France and Barcelona in July - and were dying from heat.... 80% of days there were 40+ .
However, Northeth France (Normandy, Brittany, Picardy) was not too hot , not too much crowds and extremely interesting.

P.S. We're going 8 night to Ireland at end of August.

We did roughly the same trip a few years ago. Did a lot of small town, beach, lighthouse and park walking. New buffalo, St,. Joseph, South Haven, Grand Haven, Holland, Ludington, Muskegon, Saugatuck, Petoskey, Charlevoix, traverse City, Mackinac Island and Sleeping Bear dunes. Are all great places to stop and visit.

You should also to consider weather .... we've been to South France and Barcelona in July - and were dying from heat.... 80% of days there were 40+ .
However, Northeth France (Normandy, Brittany, Picardy) was not too hot , not too much crowds and extremely interesting.

In the end, I couldn't come up with an itinerary that interested us enough, so we pulled the plug and booked Buenos Aires/Santiago. It's off season there and my wife's never been. So, should be good.

In the end, I couldn't come up with an itinerary that interested us enough, so we pulled the plug and booked Buenos Aires/Santiago. It's off season there and my wife's never been. So, should be good.
Interesting :). Are you going independently? How did you book accommodation? Are you renting car?

OMG - no BS! Late Sept in Provence was very warm, and first week in October in Barcelona barely cooler.

July and August - you definitely want to be in the northernmost European countries, or not far from the North Sea.

OMG - no BS! Late Sept in Provence was very warm, and first week in October in Barcelona barely cooler.

July and August - you definitely want to be in the northernmost European countries, or not far from the North Sea.

Don't get what are you talking about.... In Northeth France (Normandy, Brittany, Picardy) in July during 3 weeks vacation, avg temp was about 20 C

Don't get what are you talking about.... In Northeth France (Normandy, Brittany, Picardy) in July during 3 weeks vacation, avg temp was about 20 C

I was talking about Provence and Barcelona.

English Channel is close to the North Sea.

We are going as a family to NYC and Washington DC (coming from Peru) in July for a few weeks. In November the young wife will travel to Istanbul and Brisbane on her own.

Interesting :). Are you going independently? How did you book accommodation? Are you renting car?

Yes, independently. I work quite often in Buenos Aires, so I am very familiar. Santiago will be new for me, but many of Argentinian colleagues have been many times and pointed me in the right direction. We booked all accommodation online, no problem. And, no, we have no need to rent a car as this trip will only be in the cities.

Just booked for 104 days in Thailand with stops in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Vietnam and possibly Malaysia/Singapore

We are back from our trip to the U.P. and the building of the hull of the Northeaster Dory. Twelve days in all and we are tired. Now the rest of the boat gets built (120 hours est.).

IMG_0930.jpg

Trip stop

IMG_20180607_183530.jpg

All epoxied

The school

IMG_0890.jpg

Glue on outer gunwales

Attachments

• image000000 (6).jpg
    image000000 (6).jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
^ Boat is looking good! When's the maiden voyage?

Oh my, lots of work to do..two more surface coats of epoxy, lots of hand sanding, assemble, finish and install rudder, tiller, dagger board, seats, the sail(s), oar locks, oars, other miscellaneous parts and paint.

I have not spoken with the other half of the builder on this, but my guess is late summer due to high temperatures here which is not good for working outdoors applying epoxy and paint products.

That does sound like lots of work, but it will all be worth it when that vessel hits the water.

Yeah, it's been (and will be) a lot of work, but we had a great time in the U.P. with the folks at the school. :) No rush to get it done, but we will be plugging away at it.

Not yet but might. Got an email last night from a good friend inviting us to join them on a 3 week trip starting in Singapore where his daughter lives. Then to Bali, Phuket, etc.
We're seriously considering going so if anyone has any tips or suggestions on areas to see. We're more laid back tourists and prefer to experience the culture. Not planning to sit on a beach anywhere. More interested in sightseeing on our own, not tours.

Got the first 2 legs of our 104 day trip booked, first 29 days roaming around Thailand then 12 days in Vietnam and back to Thailand for another 29 days with me next leg to be determined, maybe Hong Kong or Singapore

While I am so very happy about our trips, reading about your trips is inspiring. I refuse to be envious and I often lie.

Ahead of us:
July: Lafayette, LA for our 38th anniversary (haha. Selected after finding out a musical duet we thoroughly enjoy will be playing during a brunch on our celebratory day)
September: Road Scholar Mackinac Island
January 2019: Cruise to Key West & Bahamas
April 2019: Road Scholar Red Sox Spring Training

Started a two month road trip. Just me and the dog.
Few days visiting DD1.
Drive to Colorado to camp host volunteer tent camping.
Was thinking Durango for a few days, but the fires are canceling that. I'll have to find some place for a few days on my way to California.
Couch surfing with friends in Northern California for two weeks.
Oregon for a memorial service
Wander back to N.Y.stopping at anything interesting.

Just got back from annual Dad/Daughter trip (she's 10). We did Boston for 2 days (Freedom trail and all that), then up to New Hampshire for a day (Amusement Park), 2 days in and around Bar Harbor, ME (Lots of hiking, a helicopter ride and first sunrise in the US), one day in Portland (Whale watching) and one last night in Boston to catch a Red Sox game. Really awesome time.

Back
Top Bottom