Anyone got any travel planned? 2018 version

Mister, did a New England and Canada cruise last September and it was so beautiful.

Just booked a 9 day trip to Japan after the first of the year. Travel hacking combined with an awesome sale made the trip revenue neutral as to what I would spend at home.

Husband and I are looking to take a driving trip along the west edge of Michigan........parks, beaches, lighthouses, sand dunes. We will be entering the state from the south. Any REALLY special places to see, stop, or stay :confused:? We like 'people-watching' a day or so at the beach catching some sun. We are 'walkers', in other words we don't do strenuous hiking, but like to go for a couple mile walk seeing "stuff". Not into fancy-smanchy food, but into good local home cooking.

Suggestions !:confused: Thanks.

Momcpa,

How was your trip? Any suggestions? DH and I are headed to Mackinac Island in a couple weeks for a Road Scholar trip. Ludington - Traverse City - Mackinaw City is the last leg of our route up there. I'd love to see a report. :)

ohyes,
Sad to say, we never took this trip. We kept watching for really warm temperatures for the "sitting on the beach" part of this drive.......but between low temps, rain, and things we had going on at home, and with family, we never got to go on this adventure. We still have our fingers crossed that our schedules work out that we can do the northern part of the trip and ride some sand dune buggies.

Enjoy your vacation.

Just got back from our first Viking Cruise down the Rhine. Loved everything about Viking. Looking at some great specials with Windstar cruises through amazing ports. Any feedback on Windstar?

It's 22 days until we depart for our next jaunt, but we've started tentatively looking at next Spring......we fly from Copenhagen to Riga on May 12 and intend (hope to) work our way down to Lviv, Ukraine.

Possible stops on the south route, include Lublin, Poland....Kaunas, Lithuania, Vilnius, Lithuania...thence Lviv.

Northbound heading for Tallinn, Estonia, and perhaps over to Helsinki.

All very vague and flexible, (except the flight to Riga which is booked & paid for), at this point...........keeps us off the streets though....oh, wait...that's not the objective...

DH and I are soon traveling to Central Europe for a little over a month. Munich-Prague-Krakow-Budapest-Bratislava-Vienna-Salzburg-Munich, with some day trips to other sights. We have our lodging reserved already, and a couple of dinners and concerts booked, but we like to stay as flexible as possible.

We've dubbed it our "Polka Tour." :LOL:

WDW next week. NYC and New England in Oct to see leaves. WDW again in Nov.
Rhine Christmas cruise with Tauck in Dec.
DW family reunion and stay at the Gaylord in Grapevine in middle of all that.
Planning either London or Prague next May.

Fairly typical for a brand new retiree.

4 days in So Cal. Gonna pay the mouse.

We leave in two weeks for Cabo San Lucas. We are not usually resort type people but my wife has been wanting a warm local after her year of surgeries.

Next year we head to Italy for hiking and wine.

We just applied for Nexus cards by mail. A charge card number is on the application. I think it's gonna be $50can which will be about $40us. The card has no foreign transaction fee. If we get the approval on time we should be able to get the interview in Calgary later this year. Otherwise Detroit is the nearest interview location. Could spend a day at Greenfield Village.

It's been 3 months. We are back from out trip to Banff & Jasper AB and still no word from Nexus. Somehow we had TSA precheck on our boarding passes which helped out the way there. At Calgary YYC, on the way back, TSApre didn't get us into the Nexus line. It didn't make much difference. The Nexus line and the regular line just funneled into the same single check station. An agent just selected people from each line with a slight priority for Nexus.

Smoke from the BC fires was pretty think in Calgary when we landed at night. The haze thinned out, in a few days, enough to enjoy the trip, but it was not the best time for pictures. That first day in Calgary, you could smell the smoke like a fire was a block away.

Last edited:
Booked our winter trip. Fly to Bangkok in Jan, return home from Australia via Honolulu in mid March.

We just booked a 15 day Viking Ocean cruise in the Caribbean for Oct.
Never been on their ocean ships before.

It was a deal offer, included air and $1K pp below book price, still not cheap at $5.2K total (plus $450 in gratuities at the end), but pretty comparable to regular cruise line balcony offers for 2 weeks once you add in airfare, and some excursions.

I try to take 2-3 adventurous trips per year of 25-35 day duration. Feb was 21 days in southern Spain with a couple I've known for 30+ years. Then 18 days alone in May was Morocco (best trip ever because of the locals), then Egypt at City Hotel in Cairo (dump but best hosts ever, I was treated as a friend) and then Jordan, Petra and Amman.
Next was Mexico for 4 weeks. Next trip is Shanghai, Yangtze, Fenhuang, on to Burma, then Nepal and finally Vietnam 27 days total.

And gonna make next year year a "live in 6 countries" year, SO has concurred.

Just came back from France (Alsace), Switzerland (Wengen), and Bavaria (Seeg). Weather was terrific, no rain. Flew in and out of Stuttgart.

Just booked a trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for October 2nd, 2018 for a week.
Never been there, so looking forward to see the beaches. :)

Heading down to LA again to deliver the daughter to UCLA. Got a suite in Beverly Hills with a large soaking tub - :)

Just got back from our West coast of Ireland, Edinburgh, Lake District walk, Oxford, Vienna, Hallstatt area, Dublin and a few days in New England month long trip. It was quite an adventure, and I learned valuable travel lessons as well as discovering things about myself. One valuable lesson is to make sure my DH has everything. He left his phone on an Austrian train and his wallet in Dublin. Getting the wallet back, but not the phone.

Heading out to the Peruvian high jungle later this month. Will be going to Oxapampa and Pozuzo for a Rodeo Wedding. looking forward to some great Amazonian food!

My son is in India and his pictures are amazing. We are taking our RV on a 5 day trip in a few weeks to Placerville, CA which is beautiful in the fall. Will do some hiking and wine tasting.

It is getting cold and we had some slight snow where we live. Looking at a
detour to Cancun area in late Oct/early Nov. on our way home from visiting inlaws. It will be last minute and dependent on weather of course.

It is getting cold and we had some slight snow where we live. Looking at a
detour to Cancun area in late Oct/early Nov. on our way home from visiting inlaws. It will be last minute and dependent on weather of course. It could be somewhere else in the Caribbean if there is a good last minute offer.

I have a fun girls trip coming up in two weeks to Bentonville, AK to see the Crystal Bridges Museum. We are also going to tour a Frank Lloyd Wright house. These are ladies I used to work with and we are still friends.

In December I am tagging along with my son's family to a long NYC weekend. I love going with them and I know we will have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom