Applied for my SS online, have a phone interview next month.

The SSA called to request that I come in with my Naturalization Certificate. Within a day of that visit, I was approved. So all is good now.

The SSA called to request that I come in with my Naturalization Certificate. Within a day of that visit, I was approved. So all is good now.

Yes, but what does your SSA.gov record say? Did you get a letter with your approved amount? When do you want it to start?

Yes, but what does your SSA.gov record say? Did you get a letter with your approved amount? When do you want it to start?

I seem to remember I got something in the mail very shortly after my in person visit....

My wife was in a similar position and it bugs me that a) it matters that you have to prove citizenship since the benefits don’t depend on it, and b) that a US passport isn’t good enough to prove citizenship. Being in England we were able to send the documents into the US Embassy in London so she didn’t have to appear in person and I also sent in my documents to prove citizenship so I won’t have to do this when I apply for SS.

I was curious what folks SSA.gov Approved information looked like compared to mine in post #25? The paragraph below the approved and pending slider graphic. I did apply 4 months before I will actually receive the SS. I applied in October 2022 for SS to start in February 2023. I have not yet received anything letting me know what the amount would be. Only the approved statement when I log into SSA.gov. Perhaps they will let me know in January 2023. When I call SS they cannot tell me anything other than it was approved.

Anyone else experienced this?

My SS online account says nothing. I guess I'll find out when I find out. Payment should hit in February so I should know then, right?

My SS online account says nothing. I guess I'll find out when I find out. Payment should hit in February so I should know then, right?

I guess so. :( All I see is approved and pending and a statement that does not really explain it) See post #25.

I was curious what folks SSA.gov Approved information looked like compared to mine in post #25? The paragraph below the approved and pending slider graphic. I did apply 4 months before I will actually receive the SS. I applied in October 2022 for SS to start in February 2023. I have not yet received anything letting me know what the amount would be. Only the approved statement when I log into SSA.gov. Perhaps they will let me know in January 2023. When I call SS they cannot tell me anything other than it was approved.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yes, called after I applied and was approved with pending, and no one could answer what I thought were easy questions. ( ie ) are they doing the tax withholding I requested , and how much will i get . Evidently the account gets locked up, until the month before your first payment

I applied for my SS 4 months ahead of time. The mySS site still showed it pending several weeks past my 70th birthday. So, I called the SSA 800 number. They gave me the phone number of the Salinas, CA, office that was handling my application. I called them and got approved over the phone.

National 800 Number at 1-800-772-1213 between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

I applied for my SS 4 months ahead of time. The mySS site still showed it pending several weeks past my 70th birthday. So, I called the SSA 800 number. They gave me the phone number of the Salinas, CA, office that was handling my application. I called them and got approved over the phone.

National 800 Number at 1-800-772-1213 between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Interesting. I applied in Sept for Jan (Feb payment). Crickets so far. I was planning to just wait and see if they send me money in Feb. but maybe I should call them.

My wife was in a similar position and it bugs me that a) it matters that you have to prove citizenship since the benefits don’t depend on it, and b) that a US passport isn’t good enough to prove citizenship.

I agree. In our case, the SSA also asked us to bring our marriage certificate, which was core to her application for permanent residency and US citizenship.

I agree. In our case, the SSA also asked us to bring our marriage certificate, which was core to her application for permanent residency and US citizenship.

I had to present a "raised seal" marriage cert to get spousal. They wouldn't take a photo copy or accept a quick flip through the photo album from our wedding.

ShokWaveRider and others, while it will show approved on the application status form for a long time, the application will not be "complete" until the month your benefit starts. Only then will the amount show in your online "benefits letter". In the 1st or 2nd week of the month your benefits start you will also receive a letter in the mail with the info. You will be paid 1 month in arrears as always. This is all spelled out in the SSA.gov site and follows to a tee as to the way the process worked for me.

Confusing though, my benefits started in Nov and the deposit should be in my bank later this month. The amounts shown on both the online and mailed letters, work out to include the 2023 COLA amount! Also, the letters state that I will be paid on the 3rd Wednesday where I should get it on the 4th Wednesday. We'll see exactly what happens in a couple of weeks.

ShokWaveRider and others, while it will show approved on the application status form for a long time, the application will not be "complete" until the month your benefit starts. Only then will the amount show in your online "benefits letter". In the 1st or 2nd week of the month your benefits start you will also receive a letter in the mail with the info. You will be paid 1 month in arrears as always. This is all spelled out in the SSA.gov site and follows to a tee as to the way the process worked for me.

Confusing though, my benefits started in Nov and the deposit should be in my bank later this month. The amounts shown on both the online and mailed letters, work out to include the 2023 COLA amount! Also, the letters state that I will be paid on the 3rd Wednesday where I should get it on the 4th Wednesday. We'll see exactly what happens in a couple of weeks.

Thanks. I can stand down on this until January.

My Retirement application was approved about seven weeks after I applied. I was receiving a divorced spousal benefit from age 66 to 69 and then applied for my own deferred retirement benefit beginning at age 70.

As other posters have mentioned, I first received a message saying my application was approved, then the actual amount in a "Benefit Verification Letter" about ten days later.

As an aside the higher COLA amounts may lower my projected age 66 to 70 break even age to about 76 "IF" COLAs going forward are about 3.5%. Age 62 to 70 break even was about 75.5

My increased SS benefit showed up at the bank today, the 3rd Wednesday of Dec. Just as they promised. I still don't understand why it is on the 3rd Wed instead of the 4th Wed. According to their published "rules" it should be the 4th. I'm not complaining. Has anyone else had their date change when switching from spousal to their own benefit?

My increased SS benefit showed up at the bank today, the 3rd Wednesday of Dec. Just as they promised. I still don't understand why it is on the 3rd Wed instead of the 4th Wed. According to their published "rules" it should be the 4th. I'm not complaining. Has anyone else had their date change when switching from spousal to their own benefit?

That seems to be normal. DW should, according to the rules, get it on the fourth Wednesday. But she started taking spousal and it came on the second Wednesday because it was based on mine and my "rule" is then.

When she switched to getting her own benefit, her payment date didn't change. So I guess they just don't want to upset anyone's routine.

Still have not heard from SS. When I applied, I asked for it to start in Mid-February 2023 as my birthday is mid-January. SSA.gov still says approved with the usual paragraph underneath the approved sentence, but I have not had anything indicating the amount other than the normal SSA.gov and AnyPia32'a estimates.

Wondering if I should call and ask or if I should wait longer as there is still over a month to go. :(

Still have not heard from SS. When I applied, I asked for it to start in Mid-February 2023 as my birthday is mid-January. SSA.gov still says approved with the usual paragraph underneath the approved sentence, but I have not had anything indicating the amount other than the normal SSA.gov and AnyPia32'a estimates.

Wondering if I should call and ask or if I should wait longer as there is still over a month to go. :(

My DH is in the exact same situation as you, and he has checked the SSA.gov website daily to see any updates. Today there was a change. It says "We have made a decision to approve your application on January 4, 2023. We have sent a detailed notice to you with your benefit information. You should receive your notice within 10 to 15 days."

So we think that's progress. Hopefully you will see the same soon.

I received my letter last week but it appears that the amount does not reflect the 8.7% increase for 2023. Later this month I will check online to see if it has been updated. It is possible that all the work was completed before the inflation adjustment and it will be applied automatically.

My first payment isn't until February but in late January if the web site doesn't reflect the proper amount my plan is to send a letter to request a review and correction. The letter I received last week says that challenges must be made within 60 days so I want to at least have it on record before the 60-day point.

I have a very basic question about starting SS payments. When I apply and I want my first check to come in May 2023, do I apply for SS to start in April 2023 (because the 1st check comes the next month)? Or do I apply for SS to start in May 2023? I'm not very clear on that.

Back
Top Bottom