Are you happy with your auto insurance company?

We've been with Erie for a couple of decades. Homeowners seems to go up and down from year to year but auto only changes when we buy a new car. Have shopped around but no one beats them.

We were with USAA for over 25 years but recently, upon relocating from OR to AZ, received a HUGE rate increase across all lines of insurance (umbrella increased 157%, others were less extreme). So, for the first time, I started shopping and found that Amica was significantly cheaper (2 cars, 1 house, 1 trailer, umbrella), so we just switched effective Jan 1st. So far, no claims...but it’s only been one month.

Had Geico for auto and State Farm for motorcycles for approx. 15 years. Every renewal the rates continued to creep up. Recently switched to Travelers for significant savings due to a discount I receive. Actually, need to make the call to switch over my homeowners too

We've been with State Farm for decades. The multi-line discount saves us a ton (home, 2 cars, umbrella) and, they saved my rear-end by defending me in a frivolous lawsuit, thanks to the umbrella policy. They cultivated some loyalty there. Rates go up a little every year or so, but nothing so bad as to make me want to jump ship.
Looking into umbrella policy. Piece of mind. You never know if the other guy will try to sue you for everything you got. Gotta protect my a#% and assets.

annual insurance (not including health) has become my 3rd highest spend category... neck-and-neck with food and all utilities/phone/internet. Higher than what I spend on taxes.

30 minutes ago I just moved house/car/motorcycle/umbrella from State Farm (16 years) to American Family, saved almost $900/yr and got rid of State Farms latest straw-that-broke-the-camels-back creeping exclusions... Start with a different set of loopholes at AmFam ;)
Nationwide didn't respond with quotes.
Farmers might have saved another $150/yr but the agent kept packaging in a life insurance policy and was slower to respond.
Wash/rinse/repeat in 5ish years.

As I mentioned in the OP, I currently have 2 cars insured by USAA. I just got a quote from Amica and they are $350 per year higher than USAA so I will definitely be sticking with them. But I'm going to create a reminder for myself to check the rates again when my policy renews. Thanks again for all the replies.

It's certainly worth shopping around.
Some here have found lower rates elsewhere, while others (including me) have not. But the only way to find out is to get quotes from other companies.

Yes, even if you are happy, this.

I was quite ok with my State Farm, DH had Progressive. We called both to get quotes to merge and presumably get a better deal. Neither was quoting enough of a difference to bother with the paperwork.

So we called Geico and got $500 less per year for the same coverage. I can also bill my premiums to a credit card which SF never allowed me to do, so, extra 2% there as well.

Very happy with Progressive, lowest rate I could find and very reasonable rate increases (if any), service has been good the few times I needed it, been with them over 15 years.

Another Progressive client...

When I thought their rates were getting high I got quotes and found they were cheap...

All claims handled quickly and reasonably well... the only negative I will say about them is they are a bit cheap when you total a car... they seem to find out the market by looking online and then discounting 8% to 10%...

I have them for cars, home and boat... all policies have had claims...

We use Safeco which I think you can only get from an independent agent. We have been very happy with them. I recently had a claim where my son was in an accident and the car was totalled. This was a car I had inherited from my mother and was a car from the mid-90s with very low mileage and great condition. Proverbial little old lady car. I was absolutely sure they would just offer a low price due to the age of the car and wouldn't really consider the condition and very low mileage. To my complete shock they offered a very fair amount. They were also very easy to deal with on the claim and it was just a good experience.

I always move to the insurer with the lowest rates. I have never had any claims and have forbidden my spouse from having any accidents. By having no claims, I can just choose the lowest cost insurance with no chance of being sorry.:cool:

USAA for many years with excellent service.
I too have noticed the rate creep. I have a suspicion it may be related to "age" creep:(

Recently switched to Travelers from Progressive. Saved 35%

Was using Auto Owners and their rates were really good, especially when bundled with an umbrella policy, but we bid our policies every year and found two that were even lower. The first was Ameriprise which had great rates, but proved to be impossible to work with. I started a separate thread based on my experience with them. The second was the one we eventually went with and that was Travelers. In the end we saved about 15% over what we were paying.
Something else we discovered, later this year when we make our move to a LCOL area, our auto rates will drop about $200. Part of the benefit of going from a major metropolitan area to a medium/small city.

For 10+ years, we had Allstate for auto and homeowners insurance. Rates slowly rose and I finally checked other carriers. We ended up going with Safeco and we’ve been satisfied with the rates. Our policy rates dropped to about 60% of Allstate and have not changed much over the years, going both up and down. We haven’t had any claims, so I have no experience there.

One thing to keep in mind with USAA is that you get a check from them every December. Mine is usually about equal to one month's premium, so that's about an 8% discount.

One thing to keep in mind with USAA is that you get a check from them every December. Mine is usually about equal to one month's premium, so that's about an 8% discount.

And if you're sufficiently ancient, you get another one a couple of months later. ("Senior Bonus")

And if you're sufficiently ancient, you get another one a couple of months later. ("Senior Bonus")
My understanding is that is after 40 years with them, which for me will be next year.

Yes, but they don't have to be consecutive. I had to use different insurance while overseas, so there was a break. But as soon as I hit 40 years total I started getting the extra payment.

Back
Top Bottom