Are you now worried about fake early SS?

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With the credit breach and extra information the criminals have on you now, I wonder if there may be an increase in attempts to claim someone's SS benefits. If I were a criminal and had all of this information from the credit reporting agency, I would filter it for richer people then filter by age and set up a system that attempts to file for SS benefits for people in the range of 62 to 65. The thinking here is that you might get the benefits of people who are delaying their SS to FRA.

Boy would that be a mess. You go to file for your benefits and find out someone has already filed for you years ago.

Why should I be worried about any of that? After all, I will still get what I am expecting.

I'm sure if it happened that it would be a hassle, but wouldn't there be a high risk of getting caught since monthly SS benefits would be direct deposited to a bank account controlled by the perpetrator?

The OPM data breach was actually more scary for me. That one potentially got everything on my SF 86 plus everything documented during the interview and background/credit checks, so that would include my SSN, drivers license, passport, credit cards, and stuff that people use for security questions such as previous addresses, parents' maiden and middle names, schools attended, etc. I do worry, but so far nobody has used any of it.

There is a feature available called mySocial Security (or something like that) where you can "claim" your SS account without filing for benefits. I suppose it would inhibit any fraudulent filing. I tried to use it once, but I was unable to claim my account.....maybe it was already hacked. Not terribly worried, but I do need to look into it.

Unfortunately, you may be right. For the past 2 years TurboTax has used the filer's driver license number to confirm identity. This breach includes that item (or at least may) so the problem is potentially back. :(

My drivers licence expired in February (my wife last November) so neither of us renewed because of our move to England. When I efiled this year I was asked for my driver's licence and so I had to skip the question but was surprised to see no follow-up security question(s).

What makes me think my data wasn't already given to hackers? How many folks already "lost" my data?

This will make the new SS scam so easy, they won't even have to phone you:

New Social Security Scam Targets Benefit Check Recipients

"The impersonator then asks the victim to verify all of his or her personal information, including name, date of birth and Social Security number, in order to receive the increase. If the impostor is able to acquire this data, the person can use it to contact the SSA and request changes to the victim’s direct deposit, address and phone information."

Thanks for the thread. It got me off my duff and I went back to this site:

www.ssa.gov/myaccount

and I claimed my SSA account...........
Congratulations! You have successfully set up your my Social Security account.

Not exactly sure how useful this will be but will poke around later.

Boy would that be a mess. You go to file for your benefits and find out someone has already filed for you years ago.
As others have pointed out, if you sign up for an online mysocialsecurity account, you can monitor your account and you would then be able to see if someone was fraudulently claiming benefits. I'm not sure, but I think you may be able to set up alerts so you are emailed if someone does any activity on your account.

With the credit breach and extra information the criminals have on you now, I wonder if there may be an increase in attempts to claim someone's SS benefits. If I were a criminal and had all of this information from the credit reporting agency, I would filter it for richer people then filter by age and set up a system that attempts to file for SS benefits for people in the range of 62 to 65. The thinking here is that you might get the benefits of people who are delaying their SS to FRA.

Both DH and I have online SS.gov accounts set up. I don't think anyone can get in and mess with our setup now. We have two-factor authentication set up plus they have our email.

Especially if we freeze our credit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread. It got me off my duff and I went back to this site:

www.ssa.gov/myaccount

and I claimed my SSA account...........
Congratulations! You have successfully set up your my Social Security account.

Not exactly sure how useful this will be but will poke around later.

They will no longer send you annual statements about your projected SS income. You will be ble to get the statement online.

You can also get other statements when you are receiving SS, deal with address and bank account changes, etc.

So how do I do this? If I've done annualcreditreport.Com in the last few months, do I get a 'pass' bc of breach? Asking bc I'm in a location where I cannot / should not get on right now
What pass?

The process is not straightforward. I believed annualcreditreport.com walks you through it, but you have to contact each credit reporting agency separately to freeze credit with each agency.

Costs for freezeing credit and conditions for waiving fees are state dependent.

I hope some one steals my Social security number and works on the books for the next 7 years making big money. My monthly payment will go up.

They will no longer send you annual statements about your projected SS income. You will be ble to get the statement online.

You can also get other statements when you are receiving SS, deal with address and bank account changes, etc.

It asked me if I wanted to continue statements by mail so I think it is optional.

Well, the good news is that when I applied for SS at 70 (actually 3 months earlier) all seemed to be well AT the SS office. The dollar amount sounded spot on, so I'm not concerned. BUT regarding the wholesale use of the internet for EVERYTHING, I've just never bought in. Yes, I've ordered some stuff and even given CC number, etc. BUT giving life history, SSN, etc. etc., not so much.

They say once burnt, twice shy. The very FIRST transaction I ever made on line (buying a CD as I recall - this perhaps 13 years ago or so) got me hacked! It was simple to get a new CC and no one used my CC info before the switch. But, it made me think twice (or three times) about being too free and easy with info over the net. Having said all that, I know it's still pretty easy for dedicated crooks (Hey, you guys! Get a REAL job if your so good with a computer) to get just about any info about you that they want. I guess I'm just trying to encourage the crooks to pick on someone else who's easier.

With all the hacks we've heard about (and a lot we probably have not) it's probably just luck if you're not yet a victim of ID theft/fraud. YMMV

OK - that may be new.

Personally I prefer to not receive docs with personal sensitive information in the mail.

It says they have made changes. In addition to username and pw it uses a one time passcode sent by text or email to log on. I think I will turn off the mailings but now I'm thinking this account provides some protection but also some exposure.

It says they have made changes. In addition to username and pw it uses a one time passcode sent by text or email to log on. I think I will turn off the mailings but now I'm thinking this account provides some protection but also some exposure.

Exposure how?

The OPM data breach was actually more scary for me. That one potentially got everything on my SF 86 plus everything documented during the interview and background/credit checks, so that would include my SSN, drivers license, passport, credit cards, and stuff that people use for security questions such as previous addresses, parents' maiden and middle names, schools attended, etc. I do worry, but so far nobody has used any of it.

And fingerprints, I think about 5 million individuals' fingerprints.

There has to be a better way to identify you. SS #, DL #, birthday, address, really? Seems like all this info is easily attainable from one source or another. Why don't they ask you stuff like, what city was your mother born in or what country did your grandparents immigrate from? There has to be information that is unknown to anyone but you. Some identity theft is done by a family member. My siblings would have no idea what my best friends dad did for a living. Nor would my DH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom