Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2023 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
CD yields will slowly revert back to their normal 40 basis point premiums versus treasury bills and notes with the same duration. Treasury yields will tick back up as the flight to safety trade fades. Banks are going to start reporting earnings April 12 with the big banks reporting April 14th.

Right now only 73 CD's FIDO we will see if more are dumped tomorrow. Not many longer term CP,if your looking for longer term.
Oldmike

Shopping shopping shopping this AM. Have a final CD maturing. My last one until the next rungs of my ladder mature in June. The population of CDs at TDA is the same as throughout the weekend; mostly Schwab and Morgan Stanley, 18 mo-2 years at about 5%. It is very early in the banking day, so I expect that this could all change in the next couple of hours.

I ordered a 5% 18 month Morgan Stanley on Fidelity yesterday. Starts 4/6.

Finished my shopping. Nothing spectacular popped up (not that I expected it) so I went with a longer duration; 3 years, non-call @ 4.8% Morgan Stanley. Done until June....yay!

I was just checking the brokered CDs. I'm sure glad I got in on some of the higher rates on on the 3 to 5 year CDs before they started dropping off.

It's a perception thing. Current rates are still good but not as good as what we've seen in the past two weeks while in the mist of a banking crisis.

I demand another crisis. Shouldn’t have to wait too long. I know be careful what you wish for.

Finished my shopping. Nothing spectacular popped up (not that I expected it) so I went with a longer duration; 3 years, non-call @ 4.8% Morgan Stanley. Done until June....yay!

I just checked and the Morgan Stanley are all gone. I should have checked earlier today. I keep missing the higher ones. There's very little non-callable at Vanguard right now beyond a year. Unfortunately, I came into some cash a little too late to take full advantage of last month's higher rates.

There's almost no CD's available at Schwab with a maturity over 18mos as of today... Still a bunch at 1yr and below. All rates have dropped regardless of maturity. Not by a lot, but all are down. We may have seen the peaks. For me, I'm almost fully invested with the money I've allocated for CD's at this time. Glad I got in earlier. What I have in reserve is in SWVXX which is currently paying pretty dang good. (At this time :))

Last edited:
There's almost no CD's available at Schwab with a maturity over 18mos as of today... Still a bunch at 1yr and below. All rates have dropped regardless of maturity. Not by a lot, but all are down. We may have seen the peaks. For me, I'm almost fully invested with the money I've allocated for CD's at this time. Glad I got in earlier. What I have in reserve is in SWVXX which is currently paying pretty dang good. (At this time :))

Through VG there were many Schwab cd's available at 2 years but rate seemed lower than the 18 month cd's.
Rest of my money cleared today & locked-in CS through VG 18 months 5.05%...
Seems like better than a sharp stick in the eyes considering nobody really knows whats going to happen with the rates......

Marcus is offering a 10 month CD at 5.05 percent.

Barclays 12 month CD at 5.00 percent.

I opened new CD's at both.

Synchrony 14 month at 5.00 percent is also available. Check depositaccounts.com for all the rates.

Last edited:
At savebetter.com you can buy a 27-month Sallie Mae Bank CD @ 5.15 %. FDIC insured.

You need to do due diligence about savebetter.

Last edited:
Marcus is offering a 10 month CD at 5.05 percent.

Barclays 12 month CD at 5.00 percent.

I opened new CD's at both.

Synchrony 14 month at 5.00 percent is also available. Check depositaccounts.com for all the rates.

At savebetter.com you can buy a 27-month Sallie Mae Bank CD @ 5.15 %. FDIC insured.

You need to do due diligence about savebetter.

I've given up on having multiple bank or credit union accounts to take advantage if individual bank or credit union CDs... too much hassle, especially since most of our money in in traditional and Roth IRAs. I prefer the simplicity of having everythign consolidated in brokerage CDs at a single brokerage.

Now if a bank or credit union were to offer 6% then I might reconsider.

Schawb currently shows a Apr 2024 maturity at 4.9% and a Oct 2024 maturtity at 4.95%... both non-callable and a Apr 2024 callable at 5.1%. Close enough.

I assume there's some logical reason for this. I'm looking at brokered CDs and in the 2, 3, and 4-year durations, everything showing matures in April of 2025, 2026, or 2027. No other months are available. Why is that?

I assume there's some logical reason for this. I'm looking at brokered CDs and in the 2, 3, and 4-year durations, everything showing matures in April of 2025, 2026, or 2027. No other months are available. Why is that?

Two years from now is April 2025; three years from now is April 2026; and four years from now is April 2027. Are you expecting a 26 month or 39 month or 42 month CD?

Two years from now is April 2025; three years from now is April 2026; and four years from now is April 2027. Are you expecting a 26 month or 39 month or 42 month CD?
Typically when I search on Vanguard, anything from 19 months to 24 months shows up under 2 years, 25 months to 36 months under 3 years, and 37 to 48 months under 4 years. Now, all that is showing is April maturities. I know availability is really low right now. It just seemed odd that only April issues were showing.

Look at the secondary market selection of brokered CD's. There you will see many different options maturing in different months.

Given what MM funds are yielding today, you are better off parking you cash in a MM fund. Banks will report earnings over the next few weeks starting next week. If the market believes that bank deposits have stabilized, the flight to safety trade will fade and treasury yields will slowly tick back up pushing CD yields higher.

Attachments

• fzdxx.jpg
    fzdxx.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 68
  • ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 64
What’s your opinion of a 15 month CD paying 5.1%? Do you feel earning a money market fund @ 4.78 is the better way to go until earnings have been reported?

Look at the secondary market selection of brokered CD's. There you will see many different options maturing in different months.

I’m on the same screen I’m always on. The quick search that shows CDs, Treasuries, Agency bonds, etc, with columns for duration.

Given what MM funds are yielding today, you are better off parking you cash in a MM fund. Banks will report earnings over the next few weeks starting next week. If the market believes that bank deposits have stabilized, the flight to safety trade will fade and treasury yields will slowly tick back up pushing CD yields higher.
Maybe. Maybe not. No way to know for sure. But I, like many here, ladder our holdings, so we don't need to worry about the daily or weekly gyrations. We had a bond mature yesterday so we now have cash to reinvest. But we also have something maturing on 4/13, 5/15, 6/30, etc. If I buy something today and rates go up next week, I'll catch that with the next one.

It must be a glitch on their site. When I go to the full search and select secondary market, there are plenty available. They just aren't showing on the quick search like they usually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom