Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2023 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed on Schwab you can get 5% non-callable CD on 4 year with monthly payments from Wells Fargo. 5 year is 4.90% with same terms.

It appears that the WF 5 yr at 4.9% is *POOF*. The 4 yr is still available.

^^^^
Schwab still has them "at this time". Issued by WF and paying monthly.

4.9% for 5yr and 5.0% for 4yr.

^^^^

Just filled the 4 yr one for my mom through Fidelity for 200k.

^^^^

I have Schwab and the 5 year did not populate in my search results. Oh well. Edit: I searched for 5-year CDs. Since this CD does not initiate until 10/24, it only shows up under 6-yr CD search results.

Last edited:
Just filled the 4 yr one for my mom through Fidelity for 200k.
Well that will be good for 40k over the next 4 years. (Less tax and even more if you reinvest those interest payments.) ;)

Last edited:
I have Schwab and the 5 year did not populate in my search results. Oh well.
Not your fault. Schwab was having issues with their CD offerings late this afternoon. For a while they didn't show any CD's available.

Current best non-callable brokered CD rates at Schwab:

12 mo - 5.50%
18 mo - 5.50%
24 mo - 5.35%
36 mo - 5.10%
48 mo - 5.00%
60 mo - 4.90%

18 month and longer maturities increased by 5 to 10 basis points since last week. 12 month maturities remained the same.

Schwab has a 5 yr, monthly-paying, non-callable CD at 4.95% Medallion Bank #58404DTR2 Note: No Texas or Ohio buyers.

Last edited:
Schwab has a 5 yr, monthly-paying, non-callable CD at 4.95% Medallion Bank #58404DTR2 Note: No Texas or Ohio buyers.
Yup. It just got added to Schwab's inventory this morning. They also added another 5-year 4.95% only paying semi-annually from Customers Bancorp CUSIP 23204HPE2.

Yup. It just got added to Schwab's inventory this morning. They also added another 5-year 4.95% only paying semi-annually from Customers Bancorp CUSIP 23204HPE2.
Now that's interesting, I can't see the Medallion Bank CD but I can see the Customer Bancorp. I guess since I'm a Texas customer they filter Medallion out for me.

Thanks for the information.

I beefed up the 5 year step of my ladder with the above CD, and the new 5 year TIP being offered. I acknowledged that I can’t predict future interest rates so I followed my own advice; Each of the above received half of my available investment dollars.

Thats it for me, until something matures.

You are welcome. i also purchased 50 of these this morning for my 5-year rung. I am also out of dry powder for awhile.

Okay theoretical question.
If one likes Treasuries and Brokered CD's for their Fixed Income portfolio, here is the scenario.
TSY and CD have the same yield, no state tax, set in an IRA account.
Let's say one wishes to sell some fixed income and buy stock in their IRA account after a large market downturn with yields dropping as folks flee to TSY.
My first thought generically was there wasn't much difference between the two investments, but wouldn't the value of the CD drop in my example, but if one also uses TSY in their portfolio, the TSY would rise in value as yields drop and one could then choose to sell this higher market value asset vs. only having Brokered CD's.
Am I missing something?

Well, my dry powder has run dry!!! :facepalm: :facepalm:

CDs redeeming over the next few weeks. Hope the good times keep rolling for a while.

Bask Bank Interest Savings Account just went from 4.88% to 4.97% with an annual percentage yield (APY) of 5.10%.

We recently (July /Aug) bought a sizable 10yr callable @ 5.2% & first callable option in 2 years. At the time, it was higher than the 2 year, so we figured it would be ok if we called it our 2 yr in the ladder and OK if it just kept going.

Not my preference typically, but the reasoning of why...

Okay theoretical question.
If one likes Treasuries and Brokered CD's for their Fixed Income portfolio, here is the scenario.
TSY and CD have the same yield, no state tax, set in an IRA account.
Let's say one wishes to sell some fixed income and buy stock in their IRA account after a large market downturn with yields dropping as folks flee to TSY.
My first thought generically was there wasn't much difference between the two investments, but wouldn't the value of the CD drop in my example, but if one also uses TSY in their portfolio, the TSY would rise in value as yields drop and one could then choose to sell this higher market value asset vs. only having Brokered CD's.
Am I missing something?

Treasuries are much more liquid (currently) than CDs. You can sell a T almost instantly whereas as CD will likely draw a low ball bid.
Look at the secondary market values on CDs. If rates fall, the market value of a higher yielding CD goes up. Maybe not as much as Ts, but they do sell for above par.

RANT ON:

As been discussed in several threads, some of us are buying brokered CD's that make interest payments, monthly, quarterly or semi-annually, just to be able to reinvest the interest or withdraw it for other purposes. So by now we all should know that many banks don't always make their payments on the due dates "as promised". Often they are delayed by two, three or more days.:mad:

When I first learned of this "practice" :blush: Schwab explained to me that they have to wait for the issuing bank to send their payments to Schwab before they post them to my account. Ok, but it's funny to me, if I have a payment due "today" I'm expect to be on time or pay a penalty.:cool:

So, 6 months ago I bought a 1yr 250k 4.95% CD issued by Schwab that pays interest payments semi annually. First coupon is due today. Guess what, it's now after the close of business and still no credit to my account. I think I'm going to call Schwab and ask what their excuse is now :mad:. They can't seem to make payments for their own CD's any better than another banks.

RANT OFF:

EDIT: 4:05pm. Interest just posted to my account. But it's to late to do anything with it today. :(

Last edited:
As a recent transfer from TDA, I have found this CD policy to be less than satisfactory also. TDA credited maturing CDs and interest payments at about 8 am the day due. However, I have found Schwab's transfer policy better than TDA's. With TDA, an incoming transfer from an external account was not "spendable" until the transfer was clear/complete. Schwab allows me to blow that dough immediately.

Treasuries are much more liquid (currently) than CDs. You can sell a T almost instantly whereas as CD will likely draw a low ball bid.
Look at the secondary market values on CDs. If rates fall, the market value of a higher yielding CD goes up. Maybe not as much as Ts, but they do sell for above par.

Interesting thanks.

Non callable Brokered 5% 5 yr CD's are now available, but not from the larger well known banks.

RANT ON:

As been discussed in several threads, some of us are buying brokered CD's that make interest payments, monthly, quarterly or semi-annually, just to be able to reinvest the interest or withdraw it for other purposes. So by now we all should know that many banks don't always make their payments on the due dates "as promised". Often they are delayed by two, three or more days.:mad:

When I first learned of this "practice" :blush: Schwab explained to me that they have to wait for the issuing bank to send their payments to Schwab before they post them to my account. Ok, but it's funny to me, if I have a payment due "today" I'm expect to be on time or pay a penalty.:cool:

So, 6 months ago I bought a 1yr 250k 4.95% CD issued by Schwab that pays interest payments semi annually. First coupon is due today. Guess what, it's now after the close of business and still no credit to my account. I think I'm going to call Schwab and ask what their excuse is now :mad:. They can't seem to make payments for their own CD's any better than another banks.

RANT OFF:

EDIT: 4:05pm. Interest just posted to my account. But it's to late to do anything with it today. :(

Still have time to place bets with that cash ($6,000+?) on the Astro/Rangers and NFL games on Sunday! (phone your bookie):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom