Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have air-conditioned seats - :)

Cool.

I read that some AC seats simply ventilate the seats, while fancier ones actually circulate freon through an evaporator embedded in the seats. They say even simple seat ventilation helps.

We just got back from Penticton, staying with friends who just bought a house there, and mutual friends from Gig Harbor. Final night, I picked up the check for the final dinner out at a fine Italian restaurant. Temp was 33 degrees C with a smoke cover and humidity under 30%. The tab was C$366. Worth every penny.

Here are some pics from their patio.

Attachments

• Penticton1.JPG
    Penticton1.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Penticton.JPG
    Penticton.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 78
Heated steering is cool, oh wait, hot, for cold climates. And it is easily done with an embedded resistance heater.

Where I am, I want a cooled steering wheel, so my hands won't get burned. A study says the steering wheel temperature can reach 127F when the outside air is only 100F.

And the seat can reach 123F. So, air-conditioned seats too, please.

PS. And the record temperature here is 122F. In the shade!

I know what you mean. I’ve driven in Vegas and Arizona during summer at 110+ F .

Hmmm - looks like we are putting 3 years worth of expenses on electronics into one! DH upgraded his MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, and I ordered a new one today! We didn’t spend much on personal technology/electronics last year and now we really won’t need to buy anything for the next year or two.

2019 Fully Loaded Impala;

43980483311_3231ef6f2d_o.jpg

Forty five grand - :)
Love it.

Are you the same Robbie who flew through the windshield of our buddy, Harry's Impala in 1973? There was a pretty girl in the next car over when Harry neatly rear-ended the car in front of us.

That you, Robbie?

DW's first new car since 1998. She paid cash for it! The dealer calls the color "Soul". We call it Candy Apple Red
Mazda CX-5 with all the bells and whistles

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 488
Well I'll add mine. FIRE'ed 19 months ago, DW still working for 3 more years. I had crafted a well balanced budget/income that has largely worked so far. My mistake was not having allocated any travel money in the budget... and we LOVE to travel. So for 2018 I yanked $6k out of a cash account. We took a cruise in March this year, preceded by 3 days in Miami ... and blew $9k plus.

Fast forward to now. It is noted that the 20 year old roof over the garage is now leaking in heavy rain. Get quotes for a new roof. DW turns 60 next year and wants to do a 2 week Europe/Italy tour next summer. On top of that is increasing discussions about selling this way too big house when DW retires and what needs to be fixed before then.

Ok, let's pull up that spreadsheet.

It's all good, but many of you have probably done the same, and you need to look at your portfolio, run some projections, extrapolate that, add another sheet to excel, and eventually, go "Ok, I'm good allocating 'this' for 'that'". And I do go back and stare at it the next day, and the next day after that. Blow that dough?? Not really, but doing a well thought analysis of the portfolio, and projections going forward, and concluding, ""ok, we will allocate $XXX for travel each of the next 3 years, and $XXX to improve the house".

#resteasier

Yup, I was gonna get a Lincoln. But I decided to float under the radar.

Nope, not me. Never went though a windshield.

I’ve a happy hubby. I bought two full season tickets for the Vegas Golden Knights. We have a partial season so now we can take friends and family too. We’re both fans but it’s something he really wanted. Being a member of the FIRE group inspires me to have what I need and occasionally what we want that is out of our usual zone. With us being such LBLYMs types if we don’t it piles up[emoji4]. I’m one lucky woman.

Thank you RobbieB for the inspiration. I went all out today. I spent $30 for a new cartridge holder for my 1965 Dual 1019 turntable.

Attachments

• TK-12 Cartridge Holder.jpg
    TK-12 Cartridge Holder.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 399
In spite of having many family members spread over three generations working in the car industry and owning shares in two car companies, I have never owned a car ... until today. Put down the deposit on a new BMW320. Not high end, but a comfortable city car. Beat out the Audi A4 and the Mercedes C200/250 in test drives quite comfortably - and the end of model year discount was quite generous.

About two months until I take delivery.

In spite of having many family members spread over three generations working in the car industry and owning shares in two car companies, I have never owned a car ... until today. Put down the deposit on a new BMW320. Not high end, but a comfortable city car. Beat out the Audi A4 and the Mercedes C200/250 in test drives quite comfortably - and the end of model year discount was quite generous.

About two months until I take delivery.

Congrats. You will love your Bimmer.

Nobu Las Vegas. The premium Omakase menu. 7 courses, including (grade 5?) waygu beef, which I'd never had before. A glass of wine and an espresso, $325 including $50 tip. Trying to blow the dough, but I keep winning at blackjack. Lol.

RobbieB, the restaurant I was at the other day had wagyu on the menu at $30/oz with a 5oz minimum.
Is that considered a reasonable price?
The question probably goes against the “blow the dough” philosophy but I still want a good value while I’m blowing everyone’s inheritance.

I've heard most waygu isn't "real" waygu, fwiw.

I've heard most waygu isn't "real" waygu, fwiw.

Wagyu cattle are Japanese.
When crossbred with American cattle, the result is known as American Wagyu.

It's still outstanding, but not quite the same.

RobbieB, the restaurant I was at the other day had wagyu on the menu at $30/oz with a 5oz minimum.
Is that considered a reasonable price?
The question probably goes against the “blow the dough” philosophy but I still want a good value while I’m blowing everyone’s inheritance.

That sounds like "the real deal" stuff. It is so heavily marbled it looks pink. In comparison the Snake River Farms (American wagyu) is $80/lb, 5 dollars /oz

It's still "over prime" and looks and tastes it. The real stuff has to be imported from Japan and that costs a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom