Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have King Crab, jumbo sea scallops and a little wagyu left. I do need some more lobster tails though and it's been too long since the last batch of caviar.

But Fall is here and me thinks a quarter pound of caviar will be nice - :)

We looked into taking 2 of the small dogs but the cruise line doesn’t let them be left alone in your room and countries won’t let them leave the ship. I know someone who did this so they never left the ship.

1lb box of See's Candy- last time I got it (about 2yrs ago) it only lasted 3 days. This time I'm aiming to pace myself and at least make it 4 days.

A queen size Nectar. Never tried one, just went with online reviews. Also 1 year trial period so if it doesn't feel good...

Another thing I like was they only have 1 mattress. Different sizes, but only one construction.

New 4K TV, but we are in the searching state. Need to figure out how to get rid of the big TV first and replace the old one. I might need to call Salvation Army.

I am a Blow that Dough failure. Been retired 10 years now and this year I took out my first real distribution (22k) in Jan when the market was doing well. Bought a 2013 truck camper for 19.5k. Recently looked at my checking & savings accounts and have accumulated 22k so far this year which matches my distribution. Had a lot of fun camping this summer though

Bought a Subaru Outback Limited for $33,000 this year. Seemed like a huge splurge, but the investment portfolio didn't even feel it. The hole is gone, and the portfolio is even bigger.

So, I'm looking at a 3rd vacation. Get a home away place in Jaco, Costa Rica so we can fly in, surf, and see monkeys.

Go get massages and body work.

Hard work getting us over 2% spending. So used to living on about half of that so we could retire early.

DH is at it again! He decided to buy a new Apple Watch. Fortunately he gets quite a bit back on his trade in and they will refund him the year of unused AppleCare!!!

OK - me too. I got a 13" MacBook Pro with touch bar a couple of weeks after DH ordered one. I was tire of the clunkiness of the older 15".

Geez - I hope we are getting about done with the electronics upgrade cycle!!!

I upgraded my travel computer to a pixel book for a grand.

Just dropped off the deposit check for the flooring, 6 grand.

Greetings,

One of the downsides in retiring from the DOD overseas is you have to turn in all the government provided furniture and appliances. So we’ve spent the last two weeks researching (and buying) washers, dryers, refrigerators and storage closets. After decades of being overseas we’d forgotten how expensive appliances can be!

On the plus side it was fun for the both of us as our first “mission” together after retirement. And we now have some truly nice appliances for the first time in above mentioned decades. (Plus no “PROPERTY OF US ARMY, DO NOT REMOVE THIS STICKER!”)

Last edited:
Did you do a lot of research for that car? What did you pay, if I may ask? I am looking at a newish car - mini-mid SUVish and the first requirement is a manual transmission....those are difficult to find nowadays. I currently drive a 10+ yr old mini cooper s - 6 speed....want something a bit bigger....may keep mini for kicks, may not. In any case, am interested in your process for choosing and buying that particular car if you are willing to share.

I sort of a Subaru fan, what you need to understand is the cross trek is nothing more then a lifted Impreza, I like the bit of hight that makes getting in and out easier. I was stuck on my choice of cars between the Mazda CX-5 and the CT the deciding factor is past ownership of Subarus so I went with the devil I know.
I wanted all the nifty stuff like adaptive cruse control LED/steering responsive headlights...ect. I have an automatic, CVT takes some getting used to.

I added a remote start because the wife wanted it (Happy Wife, Happy Life.)
So msrp went to:
$31,996
+ $499 Document fees/ Conveyance fees (they wouldn't budge on this)
Total $32,445

Out the door $29,500.00 +tax and title/registration.

I just can't keep up with you guys! Impulse trip a day's drive up north to enjoy kayaking and wine tasting. Saw a window of great weather, classic sunny and 70 F. Took off just 2 days later to enjoy 10 wonderful days of sunny weather, a near-miracle in this part of the country.

Cost maybe about $2K. Might be a bit over target budget this year, but it's easy to be brave in an up market. Had such a great time. Only regret: should have brought home more wine. :dance:

I spent money on rat traps and granite stain remover. Talk about blow that dough! Definitely not pleasant way to blow it. But it’s less than $50. I will get some satisfaction when them rats will be killed, not eating my fruits anymore.

live traps I hope:) We were online looking for a small live trap it catch a chipmunk you decided he liked burrowing around our house...imagine my surprise when I saw they sell hava-heart live mice and rat traps...

I love Halloween! Since moving into the city seven years ago we started hosting a small gathering for friends who don't get trick-or-treaters. We put pumpkin ravioli in a crock pot along with a couple of side dishes and people show up after they get off work. The number of people have grown over the years so this year we are moving into the garage.

We go to Costco and buy the full size candy bars (they put them on sale every October) then hit up the Dollar Store for non chocolate candy like Sour Patch Kids. Our friends bring candy too so the kids hit the mother lode.

We also serve beer and wine for the adults.

I just ordered this decoration to put in front of the garage. I'm going to buy twice as many boxes of candy this year then return what ever is unopened.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302880684376

New 4K TV, but we are in the searching state. Need to figure out how to get rid of the big TV first and replace the old one. I might need to call Salvation Army.

My husband doesn’t want to buy this TV yet, he wants to wait until the new standard with surround sound to come out first. Now I understand how hard it is to blow that dough sometimes.

Old Pulteney 21
Clynelish 19
Elijah Craig 18
Ardbeg Grooves

That will last past the first of the year. I am still bummed that Master of Malt abruptly quit shipping to the USA back in Feb.

Money well spent

Just returned from a three week vacation in Europe. We told ourselves to splurge a little and we did but you can't turn off old habits that fast. Three weeks in multiple countries. Lots of good food and doing what we wanted, when we wanted. Still didn't spend more that 8K for the entire trip.

Just returned from a three week vacation in Europe. We told ourselves to splurge a little and we did but you can't turn off old habits that fast. Three weeks in multiple countries. Lots of good food and doing what we wanted, when we wanted. Still didn't spend more that 8K for the entire trip.

Good for you! You're headed in the right direction. Small steps, Palmtree. Small steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom