Blow that Dough! - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you got a really, really nice property for that sum. That's a fixer in a marginal neighborhood here in Silly Valley.

We bought in Southlake, TX. We got 5,800 sq ft on a half acre wooded lot in the most desirable school district. What would that cost in Silly Valley?

This is why we liked it:

ISivv477uhc9230000000000.jpg

It depends on the location in Silly Valley. It could be at least $4-10 million.

I don't know how much corn18's home would cost in Silly Valley (I like the location name!), but here's one in Fremont for $1.23M.

It is condemned (not liveable) for having holes on the roof and mold on the ceiling. See pictures of front and back of said home. And remember that this is not, repeat not in Mountain View.

4B3FC58600000578-5625631-image-a-43_1523977160136.jpg

4B3FC57E00000578-5625631-image-a-44_1523977164879.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve read a tear down in Fremont was sold for $1 million. Unbelievable. But it’s about $2.5 million in Palo Alto.

We bought in Southlake, TX. We got 5,800 sq ft on a half acre wooded lot in the most desirable school district. What would that cost in Silly Valley?

This is why we liked it:

ISivv477uhc9230000000000.jpg

Nice house and pool. Would be $2.5 to $6 MM here, depending on location.

Possibly $10 MM in Atherton or Hillsborough.

https://www.mlslistings.com/property/ml81727637/5-denham-ct-hillsborough-ca-94010/9122515

https://www.mlslistings.com/property/ml81726460/105-baywood-ave-hillsborough-ca-94010/9110920

Last edited:
@Another, nice houses, I like the decor. In fact, I told my husband the paintings in these houses don’t have frame. He wants me to frame them. Not going to.

Wow, that's 4 times the size of my place with a pool and a spa!

I’ve read a tear down in Fremont was sold for $1 million. Unbelievable. But it’s about $2.5 million in Palo Alto.

Here's how one can blow the dough in Palo Alto.

A cute little home with 897 sq.ft., on a lot of 4361 sq.ft., for $2M.

Is it a tear-down? The lot is too small for a McMansion. Perhaps a new 3-story home, like I have seen in places where land is tight.

ISyfamjry7ivq01000000000.jpg

Whooeeee! 3 Teslas, a loaded wizbang laptop and a dream home with spa... keep 'em coming.

Way to go. Blow that dough!

You all, I cannot BELIEVE that I just did this!!! OMG OMG OMG :eek: :clap: :dance:

Well done! I would enjoy that too! :greetings10:

Just signed a contract to buy a $1M house. Yowzers.

Yiiiihaaaaaaaaaaa! That is how to blow! :D :flowers:

Whooeeee! 3 Teslas, a loaded wizbang laptop and a dream home with spa... keep 'em coming.

Way to go. Blow that dough!

Can't decide if I should upgrade my home or my motorhome. But we need a thread like this next year too! :popcorn:

You all, I cannot BELIEVE that I just did this!!! OMG OMG OMG :eek: :clap: :dance:
This is totally, completely frivolous and not a need at all. Anyway, I just ordered a brand new Dell laptop computer with tons of resources including a 17" monitor and an SSD drive and more.

OK, I admit it, we all have weaknesses and mine is that I have a *thing* about new computers. Nothing in the world is more fun for me than getting and setting up a shiny new computer. My present workhorse of a computer is perfectly fine. I really do not need a new laptop, especially one tricked out this nicely, but I want one and delivery is Tuesday.

See, the thing is (excuse follows): My projected annual spending for 2018 is down $12K from what it usually is. And, I have higher SS this year too. Just the extra SS between now and the end of the year would cover it. And I'm 70 years old and can't take it with me so why not.

Anyway, I am so excited! "Dude, it's a Dell!", and with a big 17" display, too. I'll give my present perfectly good Acer laptop computer to Frank. Blow that Dough!

I think that is a very cool example, and I'm with you on the new computer "thing." I looked at a Microsoft Surface Studio at the mall the other day and WOW do I want one.

Do I need it? Probably not - current (but old) computer works just fine. Do I want it? You better believe it. I loved the big monitor - it had a crystal clear display. Hmmmm.... how can I justify this.... hmmmmm....

Just finished up picking the last of my 2018 grapes, I bought a total of $2366 this year. $800 more than last year.

But it is merely a drop in the bucket compared to the little ole Italian guy in front of me. He bought 60 36# lugs of California Primivito, picked early Tuesday morning, for ~$3600.

The guy in front of him picked up 36 lugs of Cabernet Sauvignon for $3200.

I'm trying Robbie, I'm really trying!

I think that is a very cool example, and I'm with you on the new computer "thing." I looked at a Microsoft Surface Studio at the mall the other day and WOW do I want one.

Do I need it? Probably not - current (but old) computer works just fine. Do I want it? You better believe it. I loved the big monitor - it had a crystal clear display. Hmmmm.... how can I justify this.... hmmmmm....
When I ordered it, my justification was that my spending this year is way down compared with prior years, and you can't take it with you.

Maybe that would work for justification! See how you are doing on your spending this year and maybe you can make room for something that you really, really want. Sounds to me like the Microsoft Surface Studio fits that description for you.

Also yesterday I found more justification after the fact. Right after I ordered it, I realized that it was the anniversary of the marriage of me and my late ex, the first since his death. Seems like a huge, valid reason to try to cheer myself up a bit, and it really did help. :)

My new all-tricked-out Dell has shipped and is arriving in just a few days! :dance: :clap: :D

Here's how one can blow the dough in Palo Alto.

A cute little home with 897 sq.ft., on a lot of 4361 sq.ft., for $2M.

Is it a tear-down? The lot is too small for a McMansion. Perhaps a new 3-story home, like I have seen in places where land is tight.

ISyfamjry7ivq01000000000.jpg

This is the one I was thinking of.

Attachments

• 89F3CAF3-D04C-4B15-A163-037219D3BB12.jpg
    89F3CAF3-D04C-4B15-A163-037219D3BB12.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 77
BIL in Santa Clara bought a ~1800 sq.ft. old home on Barbara Lane about 10 years ago. He paid $400K for it and had it torn down to the studs and poured in another $400K rebuilding it. I thought he was nuts. Nice little house, but $800K?

Well, Apple just built the new headquarters a stone's throw from it. Guess who's the fool now? :facepalm:

$1M house deal fell through. Too many issues ID'd during home inspection. More looking.

$1M house deal fell through. Too many issues ID'd during home inspection. More looking.

Good thing your home inspector found these issues. You must be so disappointed but I just know there is another, better home out there for you. :(

Not a tremendous amount, but DW bought us a new TV. We had the same brand that we bought 10 years ago, but what a quantum leap in technology!.

The new one is connected to our WiFi, and we can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime on it!
It used to be such a PITA to stream it through the PC, connected to the TV and use a mouse to control it.

DW is absolutely thrilled with it:D

Not a tremendous amount, but DW bought us a new TV. We had the same brand that we bought 10 years ago, but what a quantum leap in technology!.

The new one is connected to our WiFi, and we can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime on it!
It used to be such a PITA to stream it through the PC, connected to the TV and use a mouse to control it.

DW is absolutely thrilled with it:D

Wonderful! What fun you two will have playing with your new TV and discovering all it can do. :D

As for me, I got my shiny new Dell laptop computer with all the bells and whistles, and set it up this afternoon. I am having such fun with it! It's got a big 17" display and I love the larger size of everything.

My 18-month old Acer laptop was a perfectly good computer too, so I did a system restore, re-installed Windows 10 on it, and it should be just like brand new for Frank to play with. I'll give it to him tomorrow.

Blowing it...in progress

Decided to leave my kids in the care of friends and head home out west for my 40th HS reunion this Saturday 10/27.

Miles + cash for air travel - $200
Checked 2 bags for the 10 day trip - $140 for the round trip
Hotel for 9 nights instead of couch surfing with family -$1200
We earned it 40 years ago, but couldn't afford it at the time -bottle of Dom Perignon to share at a home cooked meal with the now-divorced favorite HS girlfriend -$170
Knife sharpener for the same former GF so dinner prep goes smoothly - $50
Dinner out with more champagne this Friday with the same fav HS GF - easily $300

Over $2,000 so far and 4 more days yet to be scheduled to blow that dough!

Very fortunate......

October caps a 4 month remodel/update project. Bathrooms updated and Full HVAC/Energy Retrofit projects completed. I very happy with the results, and plan to enjoy them for many years to come. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom