Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, modern key fobs act as a transponder, in contrast with old car remote controls that only transmit.

If I have the key fob with me, in my shirt or trouser pocket, I can unlock the car by pressing a button on the car handle.

Interesting thread, I was not aware of the possibility of the key fob battery draining when close to the car. I have a 3 car garage, with the door into the house near the middle car, and the keys stored a few feet from there. Two cars are about a year old, and the other is 3 1/2 years old but new to me about 7 months ago. Haven't measured, but I'd say the closest car is about 10 feet and the two outer ones are closer to 15+ feet.

All 3 can normally be unlocked by hitting a button on the car and the transponder is in my pocket. Would it be an adequate test to check the location being far enough away to avoid battery decline if the car can't be unlocked when the transponder is in the storage spot? Given the age I wouldn't expect any battery decline yet. I will need to double check, but I don't believe any of the cars can be unlocked with the remote in the storage spot. I suppose I could play with it placing the remote at different distances.

Any knowledge on how to test for this, and whether my suggested test is adequate? :)

Made an appointment to spend about $4K on reupholstering a sofa and new cushions for two chairs.

The work on the sofa isn't any less expensive than replacing it, but my wife says I was so picky about buying it that she doesn't want to repeat the experience.
[emoji38]that's why I reupholstered 40 yr old living room set but support on family room set is shot so replacing that. 4k is about right for a new sofa & chair .... add up to 3 months to get it

Interesting thread, I was not aware of the possibility of the key fob battery draining when close to the car. I have a 3 car garage, with the door into the house near the middle car, and the keys stored a few feet from there. Two cars are about a year old, and the other is 3 1/2 years old but new to me about 7 months ago. Haven't measured, but I'd say the closest car is about 10 feet and the two outer ones are closer to 15+ feet.

All 3 can normally be unlocked by hitting a button on the car and the transponder is in my pocket. Would it be an adequate test to check the location being far enough away to avoid battery decline if the car can't be unlocked when the transponder is in the storage spot? Given the age I wouldn't expect any battery decline yet. I will need to double check, but I don't believe any of the cars can be unlocked with the remote in the storage spot. I suppose I could play with it placing the remote at different distances.

Any knowledge on how to test for this, and whether my suggested test is adequate? :)

Found an article that quoted 6-10 foot range as typical.

VERY informal testing on my situation... distance to front of middle car is just under 10 feet. Other cars are only a couple of feet more, less than I estimated.

None worked at normal storage location.

Moved all fobs into garage close to door at 3-4 foot height, about 5 feet closer. This would put the fob of the middle car (Audi) just 2-3 feet from the front of the car. None worked.

Put each on floor adjacent to car door, each worked.

Next I moved each fob 3-4 feet away but at height (on top of adjacent car or garbage can). Each worked.

Moved further away, perhaps 6-8 feet from door. None worked.

In playing with the distance a little, it seems to matter where the fob is relative to the door I'm trying to unlock, not just the car. One car (2021 Lexus) seemed to allow a shorter distance than the other two (2021 GMC and 2018 Audi). Fob was 2 feet from car but 4-5 feet back along the car from the door button and did not work.

I'm not sure if these means the fob is not communicating with the car at distance, but am thinking this might be a reasonable assumption. Since I seem to have a cushion of at least several feet, I'm figuring I'm safe where I'm storing them. But this is good to know so I can monitor in the future if the batteries in the fobs go low.

Sort of a related note, these 3 cars are all the first time I've owned any vehicles that didn't require a key, so my prior fobs were all transmit only. And one of the articles I found suggested these types of fobs have batteries last 3-4 years. Much shorter than I've experienced with my prior transmit only fobs.

Appreciate any insight from others experience. :)

It's been 8 months since we paid the deposit. But she's finally in the driveway. Here is our BTD moment for 2022:

Attachments

• 20220206164810632edit.jpg
    20220206164810632edit.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 107
Yes, modern key fobs act as a transponder, in contrast with old car remote controls that only transmit.

If I have the key fob with me, in my shirt or trouser pocket, I can unlock the car by pressing a button on the car handle. I can also start the engine by pressing the "Start/Stop" button on the car dashboard. In both instances, the car broadcasts a query signal, to which the key fob replies with a signal to say, "I am here". It means the key fob has a receiver as well as a transmitter.

In normal operation, I do not have to press any button on the key fob at all.

If I shut off the engine, then leave the car with the key fob left inside the car, the car beeps its horn to remind me that I do not have the key fob with me.

I just did a test, and tried to start the car with the key fob held in my hand and with my arm extended through the open window. The car will not start.

In other words, the car "knows" whether the key fob is inside the car or not. The key fob has to be inside the car for the car to start.

This is how mine works too.

If I have the key fob with me, in my shirt or trouser pocket, I can unlock the car by pressing a button on the car handle. I can also start the engine by pressing the "Start/Stop" button on the car dashboard. In both instances, the car broadcasts a query signal, to which the key fob replies with a signal to say, "I am here". It means the key fob has a receiver as well as a transmitter.

In normal operation, I do not have to press any button on the key fob at all.

If I shut off the engine, then leave the car with the key fob left inside the car, the car beeps its horn to remind me that I do not have the key fob with me.

I just did a test, and tried to start the car with the key fob held in my hand and with my arm extended through the open window. The car will not start.

In other words, the car "knows" whether the key fob is inside the car or not. The key fob has to be inside the car for the car to start.

What happens if you get out of the car with the fob in your pocket when the car is running ?

It's been 8 months since we paid the deposit. But she's finally in the driveway. Here is our BTD moment for 2022:

Very nice. Much fancier than our camper van (which is a beater painted out like the scooby doo mystery machine. LOL).

May you have wonderful adventures in your new ride.

What happens if you get out of the car with the fob in your pocket when the car is running ?

Yes, I did that test, and the car keeps on running.

But there are more ramifications to this modern key fob operation, and I am thinking of more conditions to test.

PS. Just saw aja8888's post. I did not venture far from the car, and did not hear any beep.

Nice!

I have been thinking about downsizing from my 25' class C to a class B like this. I will want a longer one with rear dually wheels though, for more room.

Congratulations. Pleasure Way makes some fantastic Class B rv's

Thanks. I agree... naturally. I researched Class B's for years. Kept coming back to Pleasure-Way. Expensive, but hopefully worth it.

Very nice! Where is your first destination?

Close to home for a few trial/test trips... Texas state parks in the DFW area. Need to make a list of stuff we need. For example, I found out our Kuat bike rack is not certified for use on the back of an RV. And the rear doors won't open without a swing-away hitch adapter. Lots to learn before any long trips. Our bucket list is long and ambitious. But we're really happy to be at this point.

Very nice. Much fancier than our camper van (which is a beater painted out like the scooby doo mystery machine. LOL).

May you have wonderful adventures in your new ride.

Thanks rodi. We definitely will.

Nice! Those are the best! Have fun!!:cool:

I guarantee we will. Thanks.

Nice!

I have been thinking about downsizing from my 25' class C to a class B like this. I will want a longer one with rear dually wheels though, for more room.

The Ontour 2.2 is built on the longer Ford Transit chassis with dually wheels. We wanted the shorter chassis for ease of parking, etc. It's truly amazing how efficiently they stuff so much functionality into a sub-20' chassis.

My son’s MIL drove off in the car after her husband got out with the fob. The car ran until she turned it off in a shopping center parking lot miles away. Then she was stuck with a dead car. I hope mine doesn’t work that way but I have not tested it.

My son’s MIL drove off in the car after her husband got out with the fob. The car ran until she turned it off in a shopping center parking lot miles away. Then she was stuck with a dead car. I hope mine doesn’t work that way but I have not tested it.

That is the way mine works.

Just put a deposit on a 3 day Death Valley photography workshop (all together about $2000). I retired just over a year ago from being a news photographer.

I’m mostly going because a friend who is still working signed up and I’ve been feeling that my world has become too small. Between Covid and retirement I rarely leave home. I used to do a fair amount of travel covering the news.

This is a start.

It reminds you with a beep beep beep beep. This I know because one day I let DW out so she could run into Kroger pharmacy to get her medicine while I circled the lot. It stayed running but beeped and flashed the little light the whole time, But I tricked it, I just turned off my hearing aids so I didn't hear it!:dance:

Here in Chicago and area , car jacking is crazy high. I suppose if one could hand them a fake fob, so the car dies if they ever shut it off.

Haven't been into an Apple store in quite a while. Ran in yesterday to get a new 20W charger.
OOhhhh, shiny and colors, as my daughter would say! The new desk top set ups way laid me on my way out the door.
Haven't bought one yet, but it's been on my mind since last night. The red one is pretty, the coral one is also but blue, yellow, pink, blue, purple......! LOL, it's Apple Mac, so I know they are great.

My beloved Aeron office chair broke today, and I can't see any way to fix it.

They have a good warranty at 12 years, but mine was 23 years old. So I ordered a new one. Don't have the records, but IIRC it's just about twice what I paid for the first one. Still worth it, though.

Got the new one delivered yesterday, three weeks ahead of their estimate!

Looking forward to similar service from this one. It really belongs in the "superior products" thread as much as this one!

The packaging was amazing. They ship the chair fully assembled, in a huge box. But opening the box and getting the chair out was super easy, and the cardboard was so well and efficiently designed that it will be easy to recycle it as well. Hats off to Herman Miller!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom