Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, heh, it's relevant to me. I give car manufacturers one chance. There are a lot of options out there and Subaru had their chance. YMMV
+1
I still remember a service manager telling me "all Fords leak dirt" when I complained about a new Escape getting filthy inside when driving on a dirt road. A few months later Ford bought it back from us. Never again.

I had 310,000 miles on my 2004 VW Jetta diesel when I sold it to a local Houston cop who commuted 50 miles each way per day a couple of years ago. One of the best cars I have ever owned. Same engine and trans. just routine maintenance over the 10 years I owned it. I drove that car all over Texas oilfields, trips to Connecticut and Wisconsin several times, and many other adventures.

Lots of old wives tales out there about cars, and even other than German ones.

When VW released its redesigned TDi engines after the USA switched to low-sulfur fuel those models could not handle the admittedly low-quality diesel sold here in the USA (versus Europe)

So fuel systems failed and VW's response was to accuse the owners of putting gasoline in their tanks.

IIRC, several had to hire lawyers rather than pay the $10k+ VW demanded for a replacement out-of-warranty.

So yes, VW has a well-deserved reputation for rooking the customer even when it's their own fault.

A while back blew $2.99 at goodwill on a HWDX portable battery powered speaker. Turned out it had bad battery. Another $3.- with free shipping from fleabay for a battery. Heh, spending like a drunken sailor :)) Since my allergies are in overdrive, spending time in basement with AC on, and replaced the battery. I use it with a ancient gateway laptop, it has reasonably good sound, much better than laptop speakers.

Arby's launches its first-ever burger made with premium American Wagyu beef.

The fast food chain officially unveiled its new "Wagyu Steakhouse Burger" on Monday. The premium menu item features a 6.4 ounce single patty made of 52% American Wagyu and 48% ground beef, and is topped with American cheese, shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles, red onion and a special burger sauce.

Purchasers can also choose to add bacon and ranch for a more indulgent flavor profile.

Starting at $5.99 each, I'm not sure if this qualifies as a BTD moment, but Wagyu beef is definately a favorite mention!

I know where I'm stopping on the way home today!

Heh, heh, it's relevant to me. I give car manufacturers one chance. There are a lot of options out there and Subaru had their chance. YMMV

It's a personal thing for DW and I. We have never been comfortable in the Subaru seats. Our roomie has a 2016 and we are not comfortable for long hauls in that one either. The Tiguan treats us nice. The Ram pickup with the 2011 seats treats us even better. I need to replace the driver's foam as the bolster is slowly breaking down a bit, but that is really trivial to do. Some things are so easy.
I can get the new foam for less than $100, and the cover is still in perfect shape. People wait too long and the worn foam will ultimately ruin the cover.

Ordered a new 16" laptop from the Apple website for just shy of $3k including tax, etc. Delivery promised in over TWO MONTHS - ouch! :( I like the design decisions that Apple has made for the latest models (more ports, no touch bar, etc.)

I've been (almost) completely satisfied with my 16" Apple laptop from 2013 but it's time for a new one. Those of us firmly embedded in the Apple tech ecosystem sure do pay handsomely for the privilege. :D I've been buying Apple tech since 1978 so I've got a history. :)

I don't know what people do who need a new Apple laptop because their current one has failed. Rent for awhile? :confused:

But a cheap chrome book until the new box arrives?

Just got back from our first Alaskan cruise. That blew some dough, but not nearly as much as the market did!

Ordered a new 16" laptop from the Apple website for just shy of $3k including tax, etc. Delivery promised in over TWO MONTHS - ouch! :( I like the design decisions that Apple has made for the latest models (more ports, no touch bar, etc.)

I've been (almost) completely satisfied with my 16" Apple laptop from 2013 but it's time for a new one. Those of us firmly embedded in the Apple tech ecosystem sure do pay handsomely for the privilege. :D I've been buying Apple tech since 1978 so I've got a history. :)

I don't know what people do who need a new Apple laptop because their current one has failed. Rent for awhile? :confused:

I bought from Costco. In stock and delivered to my door within 48 hrs. But I was limited on specs. The model I wanted was a month wait and $700 more from apple. I figure the upgrades would have probably bought me an extra two years, so probably not worth the extra $$.

I'm blowing some dough on landscaping - redoing some planting beds, rock outcroppings, and just ordered a WiFi enabled sprinkler controller so that I can control my sprinklers from anywhere.

So, how was it? Been wondering when Arbys would get into the burger business

I liked it!

They messed up DW's Deluxe-Tomatoe-Lettuce-Onion and it was only meat and cheese (no secret sauce). She said she'd never ever get another one, even though she ate every bite. ;)

22 y.o. son's Bacon Ranch disappearred from the refrigerator after he got off work. No thank you, no comment.

So, my assessment is, we'll go back!

I'm blowing some dough on landscaping - redoing some planting beds, rock outcroppings, and just ordered a WiFi enabled sprinkler controller so that I can control my sprinklers from anywhere.

You are going to love the WiFi irrigation control. Makes it really easy to program. Also makes it easy to walk around and adjust heads using your phone to turn zones on and off. One of the more useful WiFi enabled things we have.

Blew some dough on some new Michelin tires for my SUV. The tread is not super low, but wet traction falls off as the tread wears and here in the PNW I drive in the rain a lot. Because studded tires are allowed here seasonally, many of the roads have water filled troughs in a heavy rain and hydroplaning is a real possibility. Plus, new tires will cost more tomorrow just due to inflation.

You are going to love the WiFi irrigation control. Makes it really easy to program. Also makes it easy to walk around and adjust heads using your phone to turn zones on and off. One of the more useful WiFi enabled things we have.

FYI: we had a rainbird wifi controller and it was OK, but replaced it with a Rachio smart controller. It is so much better. The automatic irrigation skips (based upon location and weather forecast) work really well. The automatic seasonal adjustments also work well. If you haven't installed your purchase yet I'd seriously consider getting a Rachio. Maybe that's what you have on order - if so you've made a great choice.

I liked it!

They messed up DW's Deluxe-Tomatoe-Lettuce-Onion and it was only meat and cheese (no secret sauce). She said she'd never ever get another one, even though she ate every bite. ;)

22 y.o. son's Bacon Ranch disappearred from the refrigerator after he got off work. No thank you, no comment.

So, my assessment is, we'll go back!

Me too! I tried the Deluxe and it was very good. Kinda drippy, glad I made a lap mat by tearing the bag in half before I started in. Ate in car. Lobby still closed, drive through only.

The only Arby's in the South Bay is in Sunnyvale. I'd be concerned about inventory turnover with only one store in the area. Given how much fast food prices have risen, the price seems reasonable.

I booked a flight to Boston at the end of August and a rental car for six weeks. I booked this about six weeks ago and the flight and rental car has already gone up $800 each. I'm glad I didn't wait.

Fridge's compressor died a few days ago.

Over $1000.- to replace, 2+ weeks wait for part. Meantime my 2 way RV fridge brought home from camp is filling in. Now running on AC instead of propane.
Trolled internet for a suitable replacement with bottom freezer. Drove to Lowes with my choice printed out. My question was, when can you deliver? Monday she said. Positive? Absolutely! Slid credit card into scanner, sale complete. Guaranteed delivery Monday.
And life goes on.

Afternoon tea for 4 to celebrate Mother's Day ($217). It was divine and Mom loved it.

Tea for 2 (2 hundred, that is!) But seriously, good for you for honoring your mom in this special way.

FYI: we had a rainbird wifi controller and it was OK, but replaced it with a Rachio smart controller. It is so much better. The automatic irrigation skips (based upon location and weather forecast) work really well. The automatic seasonal adjustments also work well. If you haven't installed your purchase yet I'd seriously consider getting a Rachio. Maybe that's what you have on order - if so you've made a great choice.

I'm going to use it mainly for plant watering. I have spigots on zones that I use to water plants. I plan on turning on/off zones to make plant watering more efficient. Just cant make it work with an analog controller in the basement. I ordered a Rain Bird (which is my current controller), so We'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom